Whit

White Belt
Reaction score
What are the important principles of the art, in terms of tactics and body mechanics?

How is a typical class structured?

What are the primary methods of power generation?

How much sparring do you do? What sort of drills are commonly practiced?

If you have trained in other arts, what are the differences you see compared to those systems?

(Also, do you train in KFM or DL? I'm not sure how much difference there is between the two other than the branding.)

Oh and the kfm is from a movie/is movie fighting,KFM existed before the Nolan films and the KFM in batman is very different to KFM i've seen, same with the DL that is in the new Jack Reacher movies.

Whit

White Belt
Reaction score
Look, Andy and Justo (creators of Keysi) talked a big game about "growing up on tough streets", and being incredibly good street fighters and martial artists… but with no actual backup to their claims at all. In reality, all that is certain about them is that they were a couple of stunt guys who came up with an approach that was stylistically differentiated enough from other systems that they could sell it to Hollywood films when they wanted something "unique"… that lead to work in film choreography and stunt work, most notably in the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy (the advent of Keysi pretty much is the advent of the Batman films… the first came out in 2005, with Keysi making it's first public appearance in "making of" footage and it's own website in 2004…),
I don't even know where to begin with how incorrect this is. KFM existed before 2004, it was picked by the producers and then watered down.
Mission Impossible 3, and Jack Reacher. By about 2012, Justo and Andy had parted ways, with Justo continuing to promote a form of Keysi, and Andy coming up with his "Defence Lab" and "DNA" approaches.
Jack Reacher uses a watered down version of Defence Lab.

the new version of the Pensador, a double forearm/elbow cover to the head which is the trademark of Keysi, is used in a rather ineffective, ill-advised, and inefficient manner, constantly wrapping the hands around the practitioners head, taking time when it's not really there to be used, and more), and is entirely based in theories… mainly, it seems, on how to stand out stylistically rather than actually provide somewhat beneficial combative methods.

This just confirmed for me that you know little if anything about the system or how its techniques are applied.

If you want, I can take apart the mechanical methods… or the business model… or anything else. But I feel this is enough. Really, what DL is good at is getting it's students to buy it's merchandise, and create the same type of "feel good" emotions that come from fast food… it's okay for a short moment, but not really nutritious…

Never once in 2 years have i been compelled to buy any merch.

He has plenty to gain from it… and there are any number of reasons for it… one is pure ego gratification (and bluntly, any advertising rhetoric that has to so constantly remind me that "there are no egos" tells me that there are some pretty serious egos involved… Andy at the core of it. He comes across as someone who wanted to be the action star, not the stunt guy, and is looking for a way to be the centre of attention…). Another is, simply, lining his coffers… as mentioned, the big thing that DL seems to excel at is ensuring that it's members buy it's merchandise. By adding instructors, it adds more to Andy's wallet… not uncommon. And by "watering down" the content, it makes it easier to certify more people faster… leading to more money and "fame" for Andy.

It's clear you've never met the guy, he's not egotistic nor "craves attention".

I think it is a deeply flawed, style over substance, flashily marketed, baseless, unrealistic, inefficient, "look at me!", made-for-Hollywood, sad parody of actual martial arts, self defence systems, RBSD, and everything else it's pretending to be.

Nobody has questioned these techniques when they were in JKD or Suntukan all that is different is the shapes.

Look to my signature for some of my systems.

I could lay into you for studying Ninjutsu and about 3 different sword forms you'll never use but i wont because I like them.

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

I thought I might add some insight to this thread, having trained with Andy Norman, the DL Crew and many of the DL practitioners around the world. From a business, branding, etc - I have nothing to comment on.

But - in regards to Andy's talent / passion; all I can say is that Andy Norman is an innovator. He is constantly thinking, questioning, and trying to improve "what he does". Regardless if you like his system or not, I believe that there is something special and unique in the principles, mechanics, etc of Defence Lab and Keysi Fighting Method that Andy teaches.

Despite all the "showy" stuff that people associate Defence Lab and Keysi with, there is A LOT of focus on Core Body Mechanics and Footwork. More so than I originally expected. In fact working with Andy, Grek and Paul greatly helped my footwork and overall body movement tremendously. It's hard to pick-up or see through their "marketing videos", but the top guys in Defence Lab can MOVE and FIGHT. I have witnessed this myself.

Quick story:

During a late night training session I had with Andy and Paul, Andy asked me to throw a cross. Now, at this time, I have a Black Belt in Japanese Jujitsu and a Black Belt in BJJ. I have fought MMA professionally, competed in Kyokushin, extensive boxing / kickboxing training, etc. I thought I could throw a punch.

So - I threw a cross. Andy says: "no no no no, that's all wrong, look at your feet". In my mind, I was like "love this little UK guy telling me that I can't throw a punch". But, I checked my ego and listened to what he had to say. He proceeded to adjust my footwork very quickly and it made sense... I understand why what I was doing was wrong, and what he was doing was better. What that small lesson ultimately did was open my eyes to see the beauty and importance of boxing footwork. It was something that I always new was important, but it's like just glancing at a painting; compared to actually spending the time to understand the beauty of the painting.

I am no longer involved with Defence Lab, but still train with two Defence Lab Black Belts / Keysi Fighting Method Black Belts: John Leabo and Mike Simon. But - in regards to Andy Norman as a person, the man does know his stuff, and I believe that he can help people be better martial artists.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to have you back Matt!

While I am not a fan of Defense Lab or Keysi fighting methods for a lot of reasons. Mostly that revolves around personality and or lack of skill or showiness. I will say this for Andy's teacher Bob Breen. I have respect for Bob Breen! Two may people that I know are very fond of him!

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Glad to have you back Matt!

While I am not a fan of Defense Lab or Keysi fighting methods for a lot of reasons. Mostly that revolves around personality and or lack of skill or showiness. I will say this for Andy's teacher Bob Breen. I have respect for Bob Breen! Two may people that I know are very fond of him!

Bob Breen is the real deal. I did a private with him a couple of years ago in NY in knife combat. He is on a different level of understanding and ability.

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not true! You can become an instructor through an online course.

I do think that the DL system can be a good system but it pretends to do something unique and new which is not the case.

FYI - you cannot become an instructor from an online course. There is a process that you have to go through. Instructors use online resources, but ultimately they have to be certified in person... Unless that's been changed.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is crap in my opinion to promote anyone from online training. Online training can be a great supplement for someone regularly training with an instructor but it is a poor replacement as your overall instruction method. Two many small details are missed unless the person designing it is very, very, very careful.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is crap in my opinion to promote anyone from online training. Online training can be a great supplement for someone regularly training with an instructor but it is a poor replacement as your overall instruction method. Two many small details are missed unless the person designing it is very, very, very careful.
It is irrelevant how careful the designer may be. It puts the onus on the student to catch his own errors, which is extremely unlikely and not a good teaching model.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had actually never heard of this, so I just spent the last few hours researching it and watching some technique breakdowns and promotional material.

On it's face it looks impractical and broken. If my opponent hands are glued to his forehead, I know where his strikes are coming from. If he is taught to 'load' them in an exaggerated manner, I know when they are coming. Perfect for movie choreography I would imagine, to make sure nobody got hurt.

However I reserve final judgement until I get to spar a trained keysi guy.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is irrelevant how careful the designer may be. It puts the onus on the student to catch his own errors, which is extremely unlikely and not a good teaching model.

I totally agree with that. Even if the designer is incredibly careful and includes the tiny details often missed on video training the onus is absolutely 100% on the student catching their errors and correcting them. Which we both know is very hard to do without a qualified instructor there to constantly correct an error before it becomes a hard to correct bad habit!

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I recently did some Defence Lab on a seminar, it's the second time I've had a go at it. It was pretty much the same as the first time, the focus was on being attacked by multiple assailants, his time in a nightclub. The instructor erroneously suggested that if you are attacked it will most likely involve more than one attacker. Clearly he hasn't done his research as the crime statiscts of England/Wales do not show his to be the case, 60-70% of all violent crimes involves one attacker (depending in which years statistics you are looking at.) So statistically the opposite is true, you are less likely to be attacked by more than one person.

Domestic violence for example has one attacker in over 90% of situations but then I doubt victims of domestic abuse (who need SD skills of recognising the warning signs of a potentially abusive relationship) fit the target market for DL. Whilst I have no specific issue with what they teach, for fighting, that is what it is for, men fighting in pubs/clubs/the street. It isn't for the wider arena of SD, so I I think it would be more accurate if they called themselves Pub Fight Lab rather than Defence Lab. As Matt says, there is a lot of focus on footwork and body mechanics; which isn't much use to your Gran if she's worried about having her handbag stolen.

veritasAequitas

Green Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps you can tell us why you feel this way?
I studied the system KFM/Defence Lab for around 3 and a half years, there so substance to it, the sparring is lacking, its just strings of long drills and scenario training.

Having met Matt Bryar's Ii can say with certainty that his opinion has changed.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I studied the system KFM/Defence Lab for around 3 and a half years, there so substance to it, the sparring is lacking, its just strings of long drills and scenario training.

Having met Matt Bryar's Ii can say with certainty that his opinion has changed.
What do you mean by "no substance"? What do you feel is so inadequate in the scenario training? MartialTalk isn't twitter... you're allowed to use as many words as you need...

veritasAequitas

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you have the time, have a look at the crap they are trying to sell on their YT channel. I'm still getting emails from them telling me I can become an instructor through an online course WITHOUT any face to face instruction.

The last online course I tried was from a well known Pekiti organisation that promises you sublime support but doesn't deliver on their promises, and even if they will then it won't be the same as training face to face.

So online training for me is the biggest problem at the moment in any martial art, people think that online training ALONE is enough.

You do still have to do the instructor weekends in order to qualify as far as i know.

veritasAequitas

Green Belt
Reaction score
What do you mean by "no substance"? What do you feel is so inadequate in the scenario training? MartialTalk isn't twitter... you're allowed to use as many words as you need...

No substance

The core part of the system is the use of the shapes or using the terminology of the system, "shape shifting" the problem with this is that us causes what ill refer to as "forcing", Ie forcing a technique to work because it uses the shapes.

Past the shape-shifting it takes elements from other arts and teaches them at a very surface level.

Scenario training.

I don't agree with the idea of scenario training, its develops a very fixed response to what is a dynamic situation, person does X I do Y and Z happens. This doesn't prepare you for when you do Y and Z doesn't happen.

Drilling

The majority of training is long format strings of drills, my issue with this is the lack of aliveness in the drills themselves and the assumptions the drills make.

Techniques and methodology

The ground game is very very thin BJJ with skin tears, at no point in years of training was i taught how to bridge, do basic elbow escapes, sweeps or shrimp correctly, all of the positions of bjj are covered but the escapes are reinforced with dirty fighting even in a non dominant position.

Multiple techniques rely on the pain response, this is unreliable and even worse some actually require you to have one of the defense lab rings in order to actually work.

Overcomplicated techniques that could be simpler

Examples of this are the responses to grabs, pushes against the wall, escapes from the rear chokes.

Techniques that are just flat out useless, punching the feet, punching behind your own head, punching over a persons head to hit their chest.

Latest Discussions