drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hardly think he is bragging when someone just ripped apart his entire system and life based on very little evidence and hearsay.

When he is talking about Europe i think he means that he was training BJJ before it became big in Europe no referring to that other guy.

Congrats on the Silat btw it's something i've always wanted to try.

And by a ninja no less.

I haven't noticed the team of guys that generally chirp in about all styles being equal. And that if it makes you happy you should train it.

I honestly don't understand the mentality of pile on the new guy.

Maby it is just easier to go with the herd.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All styles are equal, all practitioners not so much. People aren't piling on the 'new guy', a question was asked, answered and then discussed. There's no reason why it should be a luvvie fest...'oh I just luurve your style dahling', people speak as they find, some critical, some not. C'est la vie.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is Kerboros combatives your system? If so, I'd be happy to provide any feedback I can. Do you have any info other than what's on the website and FB page?
Thanks Tony I would appreciate it. My post was not really soliciting, just pointing out that veils are usually hiding something. But yeah I plan to post videos here for review when I can. And the Web and Facebook pages are just first drafts I tried to do myself. I really need some professional marketing help there. My first draft is for the marketing company to get a visual more than anything else.
I must add that DL has some super marketing albeit super commercial which also gives it a Mc dojo feel. But I would guess it's very lucrative. From a marketing perspective it works, we are talking about the system.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gents,
If hosin1600 wants a review of his system/site, that's absolutely great. But kind of off topic here. Perhaps starting a new thread to do that would be in order?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gents,
If hosin1600 wants a review of his system/site, that's absolutely great. But kind of off topic here. Perhaps starting a new thread to do that would be in order?
If Hoshin1600 wants to start a new thread, he can. Otherwise I'll just shoot him a PM when I get a chance.

Whit

White Belt
Reaction score
Tuff crowd, tuff crowd. Lol. I actually find it funny and refreshing to chat with the caliber of martial artists here. It's humorous to me to see people pop in and expect the members here to automatically bow down and give respect and admiration. Respect on this sight needs to be earned, and BS will be called and flushed out every time.
Never trained in Keysi or DL myself. But would be interested in digging into it here on MT but I doubt Andy would be interested in doing that. For myself I would be very interested in what the MT community would think about my system, just in terms if how to make it better or how my marketing is working or not.
Honest conversations need to start with honesty and a humble look at the subject. when something is lacking people tend to inflate themselves to fill the gaps. Difficult to have constructive conversations with that as a starting point.

It's difficult to earn respect when those people who are supposed to give are working off of incorrect information and rumours.

Then go on to attack a guys grammar.

Whit

White Belt
Reaction score
And by a ninja no less.

I haven't noticed the team of guys that generally chirp in about all styles being equal. And that if it makes you happy you should train it.

I honestly don't understand the mentality of pile on the new guy.

Maby it is just easier to go with the herd.
I have noticed the pile on the new guy mentality.

Whit

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Tony I would appreciate it. My post was not really soliciting, just pointing out that veils are usually hiding something. But yeah I plan to post videos here for review when I can. And the Web and Facebook pages are just first drafts I tried to do myself. I really need some professional marketing help there. My first draft is for the marketing company to get a visual more than anything else.
I must add that DL has some super marketing albeit super commercial which also gives it a Mc dojo feel. But I would guess it's very lucrative. From a marketing perspective it works, we are talking about the system.

I've trained it a while, I don't like the marketing, it's using flash/putting green on everything to sell the "boring" aspects of the training.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't think I see much of a pile-on here. Chris was highly critical of the art in question (kind of violating the no art-bashing rule there), but no one else has criticized it and several of us have expressed curiosity to know more about the art and the training background of the founder.

A few of us have expressed the opinion that global branding and training of movie stars are irrelevant to the quality of a martial art, but that's not saying anything derogatory towards the art, its founder, or its practitioners.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've trained it a while, I don't like the marketing, it's using flash/putting green on everything to sell the "boring" aspects of the training.
So tell us about the training. The "boring" parts are what I'm actually interested in.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Then go on to attack a guys grammar.
It does not favour anyone here (in an English forum), even for non-native... :) As well as sort of angry comments.
PS: I was myself the cause of jokes because of my mistakes (thank you the ones who pointed them) and I am trying to improve.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It does not favor anyone here (in an English forum), even for non-native... :) As well as sort of angry comments.
PS: I was myself motive of jokes because of my mistakes (thank you the ones who pointed them) and I am trying to improve.

Mmmmm. You are in the UK so it's 'favour' not 'favor' and you weren't the 'motive' you were 'on the end of' or were 'the cause of' some jokes. :D:D:D:D. You will be writing perfect British English by the time I've finished lol! Actually your English is very good, you should be proud of yourself, however English I think is one of the worst languages to master because of it's idiosyncrasies. :):):)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It does not favor anyone here (in an English forum), even for non-native... :) As well as sort of angry comments.
PS: I was myself motive of jokes because of my mistakes (thank you the ones who pointed them) and I am trying to improve.
Remind me of where you are originally from? I know you're in the UK now. Most of the time your posts are clear enough that I have no problem understanding them even if there are minor grammatical issues. We get some native English speakers who write poorly enough that their postings are much harder to parse than your own. I think some people just grow up never writing much, so for them written communication is almost a foreign language.

I'm currently in the process of studying Portuguese and one of my goals for the year is to learn enough so that I could find a martial arts forum in that language and participate in the conversations there. If so, I expect to make plenty of embarrassing mistakes,

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have noticed the pile on the new guy mentality.
I won't say it never happens but most of the time the pile on is actually a result of one poster making claims that are inaccurate or deceptive. Not saying this is the case here, but I think Tony is correct in that many of us are willing to explore the art and discuss it. So how about we do that? Personally I don't care out someone's background or who they taught I just want to dig into the concepts of the art.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of studying Portuguese and one of my goals for the year is to learn enough so that I could find a martial arts forum in that language and participate in the conversations there. If so, I expect to make plenty of embarrassing mistakes,
In fact, I am Portuguese, and I guess you are interested in Brazilian Portuguese because of BJJ, right? :) All Portuguese is (now) written the same to your benefit, but the meaning of words, speaking, pronunciation and habits may differ significantly.

And I don't know any recommendable Portuguese forum... Let me know if you find one. Brazil should have some. If you are lucky, someone will make fun of your mistakes. Otherwise, you may not spot out them as fast... ;)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In fact, I am Portuguese, and I guess you are interested in Brazilian Portuguese because of BJJ, right? :) All Portuguese is (now) written the same to your benefit, but the meaning of words, speaking, pronunciation and habits may differ significantly.

And I don't know any recommendable Portuguese forum... Let me know if you find one. Brazil should have some. If you are lucky, someone will make fun of your mistakes. Otherwise, you may not spot out them as fast... ;)
Actually I started studying (Brazilian) Portuguese because I've started training Capoeira and part of that art is learning the songs. I figured if I'm going to learn the song lyrics I might as well learn to understand what they mean.

It's always been an embarrassment to me that despite 6 years of foreign language classes in high school and college I have no usable fluency in any language other than English. Unfortunately when I was in school I only studied enough to pass the tests, which is much less than the amount of practice necessary to gain functional ability in the language. I've tried to study on my own a few times over the years and never stuck with it.

This time when I started my Portuguese study I discovered Duolingo, which is free and which I find almost addictive. I've been practicing 30-60 minutes per day and have only missed 3 days out of the last two months. I'm pretty excited at the thought of finally being able to understand another language besides English. If I keep this up, I should be getting there.

Even though I'm studying Brazilian Portuguese, I do want to eventually understand how European Portuguese differs. Perhaps once I get further advanced I can message you and get some feedback.

(BTW - speaking of feedback, it's "spot them out", rather than "spot out them.")

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What would you like to know?
What are the important principles of the art, in terms of tactics and body mechanics?

How is a typical class structured?

What are the primary methods of power generation?

How much sparring do you do? What sort of drills are commonly practiced?

If you have trained in other arts, what are the differences you see compared to those systems?

(Also, do you train in KFM or DL? I'm not sure how much difference there is between the two other than the branding.)

Whit

White Belt
Reaction score
What are the important principles of the art, in terms of tactics and body mechanics?

How is a typical class structured?

What are the primary methods of power generation?

How much sparring do you do? What sort of drills are commonly practiced?

If you have trained in other arts, what are the differences you see compared to those systems?

(Also, do you train in KFM or DL? I'm not sure how much difference there is between the two other than the branding.)

Tends to be in the format of 1 hour classes.
1st 10 minutes is on exercise/ movement mechanics
Then it will be grouped down into drills in 10 minute or so bursts
where its done on focus pads, then jacket work, then under pressure of a resisting opponent.

Power is generated by loading through the hips, as best as i know to describe it.

Sparring is every sunday for a large portion of the lesson to give us chance to practice what we learned in a live situation. Most common drills tend to be in a 2-1 person format or are what is called a 4 man box where 4 students surround you on the compass points.

I used to do a little kickboxing, i've also recently taken up a little Filipino boxing, you can see the JKD and FMA roots of the techniques when you dissemble them.

The whole "shapeshifting" or "tactical hair washing", comes from turning a flinch reaction to an attack like SPEAR does.

Defence lab, KFM is different in that it relies on the "thinking man" stance and nothing else.

Latest Discussions