Keeping your stance in self defense.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

I just watched the above video and all the things in it made a lot of sense for surviving an attack on the street, particularly the part about making a clear decision to either fight or flight, rather than try to do both at once. I also like the set of drills given at the end of the video for keeping a solid fighting stance under pressure.

What do you guys think about the advice given in the video?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Generally speaking, I liked it. Good and clear instruction.

Just one remark. It is good have a clear pathway to follow, as he gives. But in reality there are always opposite ways working as well (like grappling vs striking). The best depends on circumstances and individual advantages / characteristics.

In this case it seems he advises to face the aggressor in a 'square stance'. Because better for counter. My actual instructor says "sideways, sideways, sideways" because gives less area to be attacked and more distance. I like 45 degrees for allowing these both strategies...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To move backward is not a bad strategy. When you move back, your opponent moves forward, and straight punch at your face, your 45 degree downward hay-maker with body rotation can not only knock down his straight punch, if he moves in quickly, your hay-maker can even hit on the back of his head and knock him down. To be able to hit on the back of your opponent's head is not easy. When you step back and your opponent steps in, you will have your chance to do so.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Generally speaking, I liked it. Good and clear instruction.

Just one remark. It is good have a clear pathway to follow, as he gives. But in reality there are always opposite ways working as well (like grappling vs striking). The best depends on circumstances and individual advantages / characteristics.

In this case it seems he advises to face the aggressor in a 'square stance'. Because better for counter. My actual instructor says "sideways, sideways, sideways" because gives less area to be attacked and more distance. I like 45 degrees for allowing these both strategies...

The problem with a sideways stance is it means you cannot attack or defend with your rear arm or leg, giving you less options in a fight. It also makes it easier for someone to hook-kick you in the back to knock you off balance.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The problem with a sideways stance is it means you cannot attack or defend with your rear arm or leg, giving you less options in a fight. It also makes it easier for someone to hook-kick you in the back to knock you off balance.
The side way stance can be a "cross stance" instead. You can have your right leg forward and left hand forward.

It's a trade off. You either have

- 1 long arm, 1 short arm, less chest/belly exposed, or
- 2 equal length arms, more chest/belly exposed.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm surprised that he just didn't say "Stance training" which includes learning how to move while in a stance and while transitioning stances. You know that boring stance training stuff that many people think is useless.

Last edited:

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. This is way I don't follow very much that advice of him. :)

But I understand that his background in JKD and Wrestling gives him some comfort being sideways. (As well as to TKD guys...) And he have good balance and distance management. And steps in to use the rear side. I am more a kickboxer, so I have not many options (don't like) sideways.

Once more, I believe it is good to follow one way (to start), but being aware the possibilities are numerous...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
IMO, the best fighting stance is either you are ready to

- spring forward (for offense), or
- spin your body by moving your back leg and move yourself out of your opponent's attacking path (for defense).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why can't you attack using rear arm and leg? We do it all the time in a sideways stance. You turn on the ball of your front leg and there's the rear arm/leg kicking/punching. That spin gives a nice extra propulsion to the strike. You can step forward on to your front leg striking with the rear/arm leg. I think you may be stuck in 'boxing' mode of one stance and staying in the same place.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why can't you attack using rear arm and leg? We do it all the time in a sideways stance. You turn on the ball of your front leg and there's the rear arm/leg kicking/punching. That spin gives a nice extra propulsion to the strike. You can step forward on to your front leg striking with the rear/arm leg. I think you may be stuck in 'boxing' mode of one stance and staying in the same place.

Granted, you can do that however to my mind that would create a very telegraphed attack which is therefore easily defended against.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Granted, you can do that however to my mind that would create a very telegraphed attack which is therefore easily defended against.

Perhaps in what you do but have you watched MT fighters and kickboxers? Our MMA fighters went to Thailand to train and came back very fast doing exactly the moves I've described and they aren't telegraphed. In the karate I do we also train to move fast with non telegraphed moves.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I fight in a side stance all the time and I don't have any of those problems either. The only thing that a side stance means is that the close objects are going to hit first and be followed up with something from the rear, all while moving in and out of a sideways stance. I think the confusion is that many people confuse the side ways stance in training vs the application of sideways (side stance) in fighting.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
side stance action
lead leg, rear arm, lead leg

lead arm, rear arm, rear leg

Some Sanda knockouts that includes various "telegraphed" rear leg and rear hand KO's

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Can't run in it.

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The side way stance can give you a "fast retreat" if needed. You can't retreat that far and that fast by using other stances.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Manny Pacquiao uses a side stance. You can see him transitioning in and out of the side stance as he fights. Compare his stance to his opponents stance.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you fight, the whole thing about stances is pretty simple. if you use a lousy stance, it's going to get shoved so far up your sun don't shine that you'll likely not forget it.

If you do forget it, it probably won't happen a third time. Eventually, everybody catches on.

Latest Discussions