When the kata is applied to self defense

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Usain bolt can't claim he is faster than me (on a bicycle / in a car / parachuting / carving a replica of the statue of David from canned cheese) until he beats me in a running race"

Speaking of Usain Bolt:

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yea, not to you, b/c your favorite style got Worldstarred. :D

Ok...

What is my favourite style?

What does "worldstarred" actually mean?

Are either of those chubby blokes representative of the norm for either system?

I'd actually be somewhat pushed to decide a "winner" in that one round farce - I'd probably go with the one who had his hand held up though - that's based on scoring (or more accurately, penalties) for "aggression or lack thereof". Did the guy in white quit? I skipped though the 5+ minutes and found the relevant 30 seconds, but couldn't be bothered with sound.

The guy in white (I have to assume the aikido "master") seemingly just didn't know what to do with punches.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok...

I'd actually be somewhat pushed to decide a "winner" in that one round farce - I'd probably go with the one who had his hand held up though - that's based on scoring (or more accurately, penalties) for "aggression or lack thereof". Did the guy in white quit? I skipped though the 5+ minutes and found the relevant 30 seconds, but couldn't be bothered with sound.

The guy in white (I have to assume the aikido "master") seemingly just didn't know what to do with punches.
I don't speak Russian, so I don't know what either of those gentlemen train. However I would award the victory to the guy who landed all the punches and knocked his opponent down. I don't think the other guy landed a single blow. (Just double-checked. I guess he had one kick which sort of made contact although there wasn't any real impact.)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't speak Russian, so I don't know what either of those gentlemen train. However I would award the victory to the guy who landed all the punches and knocked his opponent down. I don't think the other guy landed a single blow. (Just double-checked. I guess he had one kick which sort of made contact although there wasn't any real impact.)

It wasn't really a decisive knock down though, unless I missed it...

And the kick, that was begging to be a distancing push to get followed by a proper kick(s).

Looked all lonely sticking out by itself like that.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok...

I speak fluent Russian and after the fight, he said:

"...if only I had my Aikido pants on, the outcome would have been different".

15041483147379774027_thumbnail_600x.jpg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

If he had a body like that pictured, I'm sure the outcome would've been different too...

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

The guy certainly lost weight between fight and getting pic taken ..............and he does appear to have also changed sex to ...........no that does show some sort of mastery lol

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering if my questions are going to be answered or ignored...

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it is. It goes quite well with my black gi. Gives it the whole 70's pant suit look.

Seriously oh ok jeez do the wedge boots not cause you difficulties in moving when teaching ?, now I get it ....that is why your knees a knackered it the wedge soled boots and high heels lol

Latest Discussions