JRE - Striking and BJJ

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about you go to a Bjj or MMA gym with a recording device and challenge them to take you down. If you can avoid their takedowns via what you're saying here, you'll be a very wealthy man.

But we both know you're not going to do that dont we?

I'll do it next time I go up there no problem....if anyone actually agrees to do it

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've tried to stay out of this thread because it seems to me like arguing how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. But the above quote just baffles me. What art that teaches kicks does not teach and require its practitioners to kick with speed and strength and always try to kick faster and harder? And teach places to kick that will take out a leg (granted, probably at higher belts)?

To remove any out about "regular basis," perhaps you should define that. If you say a professional fighter cannot do that regularly when he wants to in different fights (different because he shouldn't have to do that many times in the same fight), he needs practice and may not be ready for professional fighting. If you say he cannot do that regularly in the same fight, again, he needs practice and may not be ready for professional fighting.

If course it is a bit of a moot point since in professional fighting there are rules to prevent injuries that would prevent opponents from continuing professional fighting. I'm not sure where we got off on this thread being about only professional fighting. Regardless, move your angels over. Mine can beat yours. :)

My point was that unless you're regularly injuring your sparring partners with leg kicks, you can't say that in a SD situation you can throw a leg kick and instantly destroy their knee. Again, it CAN happen, but it's not a given.

So you've purposefully gone and looked for the worst videos you can find....nice reasoning..

Oh no, I've definitely seen worse. :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the standards I've seen in multiple karate and tkd schools I've visited.
so youve estabkished thats the typical standard world wide , how? have visited and sampled a meanibgful % of all the karate schools in exsistance, and your measurement criteria of ability is what ?

Multiple can be as low as two, lets have your working out

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
My point was that unless you're regularly injuring your sparring partners with leg kicks, you can't say that in a SD situation you can throw a leg kick and instantly destroy their knee. Again, it CAN happen, but it's not a given.

Exactly the same can be said for a dlt or guillotine.

Unless you're reliably getting the move locked and regularly causing your sparring partners to lose unconsciousness then you can't say it'll happen with any reliability in a SD situation.

Sure, you might get them to tap sometimes - but if the tap option wasn't open would they just pass out, or would they fight like a whipped alligator to get you off?

It CAN happen, but to say it will or that it's a given is massively presumptuous. Especially against someone with the wherewithal to exploit other avenues.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Oh no, I've definitely seen worse. :)
On that basis unless your regularly breaking yOur sparing partneRs ankle, you cant say with certainity that you could do that in a sd situation either

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so youve estabkished thats the typical standard world wide , how? have visited and sampled a meanibgful % of all the karate schools in exsistance, and your measurement criteria of ability is what ?

Multiple can be as low as two, lets have your working out

This is a completely off topic conversation. If you'd like, we can discuss it over in the karate forum.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a completely off topic conversation. If you'd like, we can discuss it over in the karate forum.
No its complete on topic of the wild claim you made to support your point in this discusion, you either need to with draw it or provied evidence to suport it

You have a history of just making things up and decklining to support them

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Exactly the same can be said for a dlt or guillotine.

Unless you're reliably getting the move locked and regularly causing your sparring partners to lose unconsciousness then you can't say it'll happen with any reliability in a SD situation.

Sure, you might get them to tap sometimes - but if the tap option wasn't open would they just pass out, or would they fight like a whipped alligator to get you off?

It CAN happen, but to say it will or that it's a given is massively presumptuous. Especially against someone with the wherewithal to exploit other avenues.

The difference being that people tap when they're in the choke and can't escape it. They're tapping to avoid passing out, because passing out can occur within seconds. Sometimes people pass out while sparring because they black out before they can even tap. Thus while you're sparring you're learning entries, locks, and set ups in order to get you into the choke, and you're learning how to apply it to various body types, weights, and levels of aggression.

In a real fight you just hold the choke until the person passes out.

The same applies to the DLT. In sparring you're constantly perfecting the technique, and since it's relatively safe to do the takedown over and over, you get very good at taking someone down.

So while I can practice the guillotine over and over again on a resisting opponent, you can't consistently kick out your sparring partner's kneecaps.

Frankly that's the advantage that grappling has over striking.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No its complete on topic of the wild claim you made to support your point in this discusion, you either need to with draw it or provied evidence to suport it

You have a history of just making things up and decklining to support them

The video evidence supports it just fine. You'd be hard pressed to find a boxing gym on the level of those karate schools, yet the latter are all over the place.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The video evidence supports it just fine. You'd be hard pressed to find a boxing gym on the level of those karate schools, yet the latter are all over the place.
What videio evidence would that be, thats a sample if ONE, yOu cant make pRojections on a sample of ONE,

You claim was that that is the Typical stabdard of all karate schools, now lets have some supporting evidence of that you claim as a fact

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What videio evidence would that be, thats a sample if ONE, yOu cant make pRojections on a sample of ONE,

You claim was that that is the Typical stabdard of all karate schools, now lets have some supporting evidence of that you claim as a fact

You must have missed the second video where multiple karate schools were shown.

Here's the sequel btw, showing even more such schools;

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

No a representative sample of all the karate schools in the world, theres selection bias, those vids or on yiu tube because they are so poor and people laugh at them,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

And all that one proves is people look silly doing kata, which is a reasonab!y well recognised fact, i certainly do

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No a representative sample of all the karate schools in the world....

If you say so.

And all that one proves is people look silly doing kata, which is a reasonab!y well recognised fact, i certainly do

Look a bit closer. They weren't in synch, missed steps, performed technique half-arsed, and yet were still rewarded for doing a good job. In my old karate dojo we were forced to do kata until we were all in synch and took the techniques seriously.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you say so.

Look a bit closer. They weren't in synch, missed steps, performed technique half-arsed, and yet were still rewarded for doing a good job. In my old karate dojo we were forced to do kata until we were all in synch and took the techniques seriously.
But thats compketly pointless, you may as well do syncranise dancing, kata is a personal development thing, theres no benifit at all in being in syn with others, unless your going to fight as a team, what reward did they get ? Missed anyone handing over the keys to a jag !

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But thats compketly pointless, you may as well do syncranise dancing, kata is a personal development thing, theres no benifit at all in being in syn with others, unless your going to fight as a team

Thank you for proving my point. Your post is yet another example of the falling standards in karate.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for proving my point. Your post is yet another example of the falling standards in karate.
We are talkibg about fighting ability, for which the kata has some benifits, what benifit to fighting ability does doibg it in time with 19 other people give you

You claim they got a reward, what reward did they get ?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We are talkibg about fighting ability, for which the kata has some benifits, what benifit to fighting ability does doibg it in time with 19 other people give you

It's all about discipline and standards. If a karate school is willing to let their students get away with sloppy kata, what else are they willing to let their students get away with?

You claim they got a reward, what reward did they get ?

Their black belts.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's all about discipline and standards. If a karate school is willing to let their students get away with sloppy kata, what else are they willing to let their students get away with?

Their black belts.
Thats whats called an appeal to incredulity,

So i ask again, what benifit does being in sync in a kata give you for actual fighting and what reward did the kata folk in the vid get

You havent made the reward thing up as well have you?

Nb Recieving a blackbelt is an award, not a reward