JRE - Striking and BJJ

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thats whats called an appeal to incredulity,

So i ask again, what benifit does being in sync in a kata give you for actual fighting and what reward did the kata folk in the vid get

In synch means that you're all doing the techniques and the movements correctly. When you're not in synch, that means that someone in the group is not doing the techniques and movements correctly. Which is why I also mentioned the technique being off. If you're not doing the techniques correctly, you're wasting your time. If a school is okay with kata being sloppy and their students being too lazy to do technique correctly, that's a sign of more serious problems with the instruction itself, and yes that can trickle down to fighting ability. Again, if an instructor is letting their black belts do sloppy kata, then it isn't too much of a stretch to believe that he's okay with everything else being sloppy as well.

Considering that almost all of the people in those videos were out of synch indicates that they were almost all doing things incorrectly. And again, these students are black belts, not novices.

You havent made the reward thing up as well have you?

You don't consider earning a black belt a reward for years of dedication and skill attainment in your art of choice?

Interesting.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In synch means that you're all doing the techniques and the movements correctly. When you're not in synch, that means that someone in the group is not doing the techniques and movements correctly. Which is why I also mentioned the technique being off. If you're not doing the techniques correctly, you're wasting your time. Considering that almost all of the people in those videos were out of synch indicates that they were almost all doing things incorrectly. And again, these students are black belts, not novices.

You don't consider a earning a black belt a reward for years of dedication to your art of choice?

Interesting.
No answer the xpecific question, what benifit to fighting does being in syn with 19 Others give you., the abswer is non or there would be troups of cheer leaders kicking ***

And that would only be true if sync kata was part of the black belt test, which you have no idea if it was or wasnt,.

And no i dont consider A black belt a reward for effort, just like i dont consider my pay check a reward, i earnt ut uts mine, no one is giving me a reward

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No answer the xpecific question, what benifit to fighting does being in syn with 19 Others give you., the abswer is non or there would be troups of cheer leaders kicking ***

See my edited post.

And that would only be true if sync kata was part of the black belt test, which you have no idea if it was or wasnt,.

I have yet to see a karate dojo where a group performing kata was not part of belt testing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
See my edited post.

I have yet to see a karate dojo where a group performing kata was not part of belt testing.
Which tajes us back to what % of the world wide katate schools you have visited durring black belt test ?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In synch means that you're all doing the techniques and the movements correctly. When you're not in synch, that means that someone in the group is not doing the techniques and movements correctly. Which is why I also mentioned the technique being off. If you're not doing the techniques correctly, you're wasting your time. If a school is okay with kata being sloppy and their students being too lazy to do technique correctly, that's a sign of more serious problems with the instruction itself, and yes that can trickle down to fighting ability. Again, if an instructor is letting their black belts do sloppy kata, then it isn't too much of a stretch to believe that he's okay with everything else being sloppy as well.

Considering that almost all of the people in those videos were out of synch indicates that they were almost all doing things incorrectly. And again, these students are black belts, not novices.

You don't consider earning a black belt a reward for years of dedication and skill attainment in your art of choice?

Interesting.
No still no answer,

What beNfit to fighting does sync kata give you,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've already answered your question. Sorry it's not sufficient enough for you.
Yiuve nkt answered it at all, just some meally mouthed h nonsence that it COuldtrickle down to fighting ability, and equally it could not, and as this is is yet another one of your claims the burden of proof that it does, rest squarely with you

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So while I can practice the guillotine over and over again on a resisting opponent, you can't consistently kick out your sparring partner's kneecaps.

Frankly that's the advantage that grappling has over striking.

Again, not really an advantage.

Because in sparring I can practice the entry and execution and pull the strike.

I can then recreate the motion against things like boards or planks and break them.

So, I can reasonably extrapolate that if I didn't pull the strike it would work just the same as against something else breakable.

Likewise, I can pretty reliably make contact with a pulled head kick against someone who expects me to do it, and I can break at the same height with the same kick - so against someone who isn't expecting it the chances are pretty high that they're going down.

You can practice choking someone out up until the tap, where you 'pull' it.

What you can't do is say that it'd definitely work against an opponent that resists outwith the rules of your roll, or prove that your opponent tapped because they were close to passing out.

That's the advantage striking practice has over grappling :p

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Put up or shut up ?

It's already been put up. Moving on.

Again, not really an advantage.

Because in sparring I can practice the entry and execution and pull the strike.

Which isn't full power.

I can then recreate the motion against things like boards or planks and break them.

Boards and planks aren't moving bone, flesh and tissue. Also no part of the body is as flat or stiff as a board or a plank.

So, I can reasonably extrapolate that if I didn't pull the strike it would work just the same as against something else breakable.

No you can't.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's already been put up. Moving on.
That about half a dozen wild claims you have made in this thread alone, you equivicate and claim you have evidence and then just move on, then off to the next thread to make more wild claims and then,,, well you know the rest

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which isn't full power

And you always use full power in a roll then?

Boards and planks aren't moving bone, flesh and tissue. Also no part of the body is as flat or stiff as a board or a plank

Flat or stiff really doesn't enter into it - I can do the same with something like bamboo, which is rounder and bendier than a leg.

But if I can hit a resisting and defending opponent with a slowed down pulled kick, what makes you think I couldn't do the same faster and harder?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And you always use full power in a roll then?

Rolling? Yes.

Flat or stiff really doesn't enter into it - I can do the same with something like bamboo, which is rounder and bendier than a leg.

Little kids can break boards and blocks. If you honestly believe a 12 year old can disable an adult with kicks, you're living in fantasy land.

But if I can hit a resisting and defending opponent with a slowed down pulled kick, what makes you think I couldn't do the same faster and harder?

You can hit them yes, but to say that you can consistently bend back knees and knock someone out with a head kick based on that form of practice is patent nonsense.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rolling? Yes.

I don't believe you.

Or, you don't have much power to apply.

Little kids can break boards and blocks. If you honestly believe a 12 year old can disable an adult with kicks, you're living in fantasy land.

I'd like to see a little kid break a 4" thick standing concrete block at head height.

You can hit them yes, but to say that you can consistently bend back knees and knock someone out with a head kick based on that form of practice is patent nonsense.

Again, please use the quote function to show where I said I could do it consistently.

You're the one who reckons you can get a striker who knows what they're doing into a standing guillotine.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't believe you.

Or, you don't have much power to apply.

If you think I'm lying, you can go to any Bjj gym and experience this for yourself.

I'd like to see a little kid break a 4" thick standing concrete block at head height.

I like how it went from boards and planks to concrete at a specified height.

Again, please use the quote function to show where I said I could do it consistently.

You dared me to say that you couldn't do it in your opening post in this thread. Now you're saying you cant do it?

You're the one who reckons you can get a striker who knows what they're doing into a standing guillotine.

If the striker screws up or winds up getting caught in a set up? Absolutely. The standing guillotine is a high percentage choke, and it has some excellent set ups against strikers. You should try it on your TKD friends sometime.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You dared me to say that you couldn't do it in your opening post in this thread. Now you're saying you cant do it?

No, I'm saying I can.

What I'm not saying is that I can do it 100% of the time against absolutely anyone.

Just like being able to get a choke on, it's situational as to reliability.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
In essence, I simply don't believe that the only defence against grappling is grappling.

A grappler can defend against a striker, sure - but that's a failing on behalf of the striker.

A striker can also defend against a grappler though - but that's a failing on behalf of the grappler.

Whichever you choose, you're hoping the other fails (or you out skill them) because there are legitimate and more or less reliable defences both ways.

Latest Discussions