JRE - Striking and BJJ

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, ok, whatever.

You seem to be of the opinion that you are absolutely impervious to striking because you can grapple.

How is placing an object (in this case a person you control by the head and neck) between yourself and an advancing adversary saying that I'm impervious to a strike? The point is that once I have the guillotine locked in, his buddy has seconds to stop it before his friend goes to la-la land. If he's already semi unconscious, I can release the hold and let his friend fall face first into the concrete.

Not only is that hugely overconfident, it's also crap.

If you say so.

I'm guessing you've never bothered to properly train a real striking art.

I have instructor grade in Shotokan karate and I've studied boxing for years.

Oh, also...

You have "my friend" in a standing guillotine, that means both your hands are tied up and your head is completely exposed.

That means I can kick you in the side of the head, right behind your ear.

That also means your friend is between me and you and I can still move my upper body and head while I'm choking your friend. Kicking me right behind the ear when your friend is between us and I can still move is a pretty precise target to pull off in that situation don't you think?

That's going to take a whole lot less than 5-10 seconds before you're unconscious and then you're coming after nobody

If you land the kick.

OP
T

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it all goes back to the original post/video, you ideally need striking and grappling.

I have not been in any fights and hope I don't ever get in one. I've always watched a lot of boxing/UFC and youtube videos of fights. What I've observed is people can and do get knocked out and submitted.

Using myself as an example, I'm on the tall and lean side. Speed and agility has always been my best attribute. I like using the jab and boxing. I've always liked striking arts. However, if a guy 50lbs heavier than me took me down, I'd be in trouble because I have no grappling experience. I could never see myself jabbing a big wrestler who is about to try and take me down. The chances of me stopping him are slim.

Grappling is imperitive to know. The more I think about it, the more likely I think I would use it in a self defense situation. I don't think taking someone down is that hard. I played football and while different, I know how to tackle someone. Rather than bust my hands up, part of me thinks taking someone down and subuing them would be less risky and a better option, but only in some cases.

That one UFC video was ridiculous. Those two guys were just throwing wild punches. I don't know why one didn't go low and try a takedown.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
153731523713441.gif

This is how fast you can get put out by a (sloppy) guillotine choke, and supposedly this guy just picked it up from watching a video or UFC..

The kid is out about mid-way through the gif.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know what else is common sense?

Shoot the hostage.

Or more in context - sweep my friend's legs out if you put him in the way.

Then hey, there's you trying to hold him up, that'll slow you down.

You wouldn’t really sweep your buddy’s legs, would you? That would be cold.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So why wouldn't I be moving around, putting his friend's body between myself and his buddy trying to sock me?

Common sense.

Because you have a really bad lever. Basically I can put one hand on a bum cheek and you would not be able to swing the guy towards me.

As soon as I am at the side of my guy he will no longer be able to block me in any way.

And then I get unopposed shots until you let go.

Reactions: pdg

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You wouldn’t really sweep your buddy’s legs, would you? That would be cold.

Damn right I would.

Serves them right for being silly enough to give up their head in the first place.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have instructor grade in Shotokan karate and I've studied boxing for years.

I forgot this...

Having an instructor grade doesn't mean you're any good at it.

And boxing is great, against a boxer (or someone who wants to try outboxing you).

But it really only considers less than half of your possible striking tools, it's close range and has no viable low defence - just ask @Buka about how hard it is to sweep a boxer.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because you have a really bad lever. Basically I can put one hand on a bum cheek and you would not be able to swing the guy towards me.

As soon as I am at the side of my guy he will no longer be able to block me in any way.

And then I get unopposed shots until you let go.

Which is more than enough time to send your friend to dream-land.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I forgot this...

Having an instructor grade doesn't mean you're any good at it.

And boxing is great, against a boxer (or someone who wants to try outboxing you).

But it really only considers less than half of your possible striking tools, it's close range and has no viable low defence - just ask @Buka about how hard it is to sweep a boxer.

Eh, Boxing is great against just about anyone. You just have to be careful when you're punching hard parts of the body. I used to carry a pair of leather gloves with me in case I ever got into a fist fight.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Which is more than enough time to send your friend to dream-land.

So you maintain your grip while getting punched or kicked in the head?

I think you're already in dream land.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you maintain your grip while getting punched or kicked in the head?

I think you're already in dream land.

No, I maintain my grip after I lock in the choke, back away from goon #2, play keep away for as long as I can, and then release when goon #2 gets too close for comfort. All I need is about 5-6 seconds and the chokee has a good chance of landing face first into the concrete, even if he isnt fully unconscious.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, I maintain my grip after I lock in the choke, back away from goon #2, play keep away for as long as I can, and then release when goon #2 gets too close for comfort. All I need is about 5-6 seconds and the chokee has a good chance of landing face first into the concrete, even if he isnt fully unconscious.

5-6 seconds is a very long time.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eh, Boxing is great against just about anyone. You just have to be careful when you're punching hard parts of the body. I used to carry a pair of leather gloves with me in case I ever got into a fist fight.

No, it's really not.

It's great against the idiots in street fight videos who swing wildly.

It's great against people who default to boxing methodology - or the type who train kicks but fall into poor kickboxing mode under pressure (like the kickboxing league that had to introduce a rule for minimum amount of kicks per round because nobody was kicking).

It's great against boxers.

Against someone who knows how to maintain distance at kick range, not so much.

From an orthodox boxing stance, I'm 3 feet further away for kicking than I can reach with a jab - that's at least two slides away. As long as my footwork is fast enough to maintain that distance I can reach them but they can't reach me.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it's really not.

It's great against the idiots in street fight videos who swing wildly.

It's great against people who default to boxing methodology - or the type who train kicks but fall into poor kickboxing mode under pressure (like the kickboxing league that had to introduce a rule for minimum amount of kicks per round because nobody was kicking).

It's great against boxers.

Against someone who knows how to maintain distance at kick range, not so much.

From an orthodox boxing stance, I'm 3 feet further away for kicking than I can reach with a jab - that's at least two slides away. As long as my footwork is fast enough to maintain that distance I can reach them but they can't reach me.

Latest Discussions