Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by Xue Sheng, Nov 22, 2019.
You ought to expand your list. Life is better that way.
I have absolutely no problem ignoring people, and I don't even have a list. On forums, it's a skill that should be practiced!
Any style can be a "display style".
A punch can be done in 3 different ways". For
1. combat - punch out fast, pull back fast.
2. display - punch out fast, freeze, pull back slow,
3. health - punch out slow, pull back fast.
Sometime I don't understand how people can get into other's ignore list.
- When Hanzou asked, "What is display style?" and
- I said "Any style can be a display style".
It doesn't matter whether Hanzou may agree with me or not, how can I get into his ignore list?
- A asks a question.
- B answers to A's question.
That's what the online discussion is for.
Based on @Martial D's definition, I dont think that's the case. I think its more along the line of what happened to Sharrif Bey, the Hung Ga master from NYC who got blasted by some random guy doing sloppy boxing. Bey had some beautiful forms that didn't translate at all to fighting ability.
The problem in MA training is people who train fight by using display method, or health method and don't know the difference.
If constrained to the question, and "She Must choose One," even being longtime aikiguy myself I'd point her at the BJJ school until she got competent at dealing with larger/stronger people and being able to survive on the ground.
But looking at it from a practical perspective, I just don't think that it "would work out." That's not BJJ's fault, or problem. It's a tough one.
But yeah, initially, for the first couple of years at least, go BJJ. The learning curve in a BJJ school is much steeper.
well yes, it probably wont work out from a practical perspective, because of the bell curve, for every one or two petite females that can learn to mix it with big strong BJJ guys, there's another 8 or 9 that cant.
That's the problem with using outliers as an example, they are special by definition,
you cant turn round and say anyone can do it. or we would all be running sub ten second 100s
It’s also For entertainment. That’s why I don’t complain when Jobo goes off on one of his cantankerous tirades. I just make some popcorn or grab some chips. Besides he usually is at least half right, which makes the discussion interesting.
Yeah but how do you constantly let them know you are ignoring them?
We don't train for average.
No. Mental toughness, discipline and warrior ethos. These things that translate to sheer aggression. Are developed by training.
They are not some magical side factor.
it doesn't matter what you train for you can only reach your potential
and 90% of people have a lower potential than the other 10%
I agree you can make people who are not really aggressive very aggressive, I'm not sure that's a good thing for them or society as a whole
So BJJ is less effective because (in your mind) 90% of females entering BJJ can't handle the training?
Yeah, that makes sense.....
I didn't say that
You're saying that a practitioner of BJJ won't be able to perform to the art's strengths because they won't last long enough to get good at it.
i didnt say that either
Okay, so then what are you saying?
do you want me to copy it down for you, to save you scrolling up,
Start by googling ''bell curve' then it may make more sense to you123
Separate names with a comma.