It doesn't work... Blog Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have to ask, what is a "Display Style"?
Any style can be a "display style".

A punch can be done in 3 different ways". For

1. combat - punch out fast, pull back fast.
2. display - punch out fast, freeze, pull back slow,
3. health - punch out slow, pull back fast.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have absolutely no problem ignoring people, and I don't even have a list. On forums, it's a skill that should be practiced! ;)
Sometime I don't understand how people can get into other's ignore list.

- When Hanzou asked, "What is display style?" and
- I said "Any style can be a display style".

It doesn't matter whether Hanzou may agree with me or not, how can I get into his ignore list?

- A asks a question.
- B answers to A's question.

That's what the online discussion is for.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Any style can be a "display style".

A punch can be done in 3 different ways". For

1. combat - punch out fast, pull back fast.
2. display - punch out fast, freeze, pull back slow,
3. health - punch out slow, pull back fast.

Based on @Martial D's definition, I dont think that's the case. I think its more along the line of what happened to Sharrif Bey, the Hung Ga master from NYC who got blasted by some random guy doing sloppy boxing. Bey had some beautiful forms that didn't translate at all to fighting ability.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Based on @Martial D's definition, I dont think that's the case. I think its more along the line of what happened to Sharrif Bey, the Hung Ga master from NYC who got blasted by some random guy doing sloppy boxing. Bey had some beautiful forms that didn't translate at all to fighting ability.
The problem in MA training is people who train fight by using display method, or health method and don't know the difference.

Last edited:

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No argument there. However, the woman was specifically trying to decide between. a Bjj or an Aikido school.
If constrained to the question, and "She Must choose One," even being longtime aikiguy myself I'd point her at the BJJ school until she got competent at dealing with larger/stronger people and being able to survive on the ground.

But looking at it from a practical perspective, I just don't think that it "would work out." That's not BJJ's fault, or problem. It's a tough one.

But yeah, initially, for the first couple of years at least, go BJJ. The learning curve in a BJJ school is much steeper.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If constrained to the question, and "She Must choose One," even being longtime aikiguy myself I'd point her at the BJJ school until she got competent at dealing with larger/stronger people and being able to survive on the ground.

But looking at it from a practical perspective, I just don't think that it "would work out." That's not BJJ's fault, or problem. It's a tough one.

But yeah, initially, for the first couple of years at least, go BJJ. The learning curve in a BJJ school is much steeper.
well yes, it probably wont work out from a practical perspective, because of the bell curve, for every one or two petite females that can learn to mix it with big strong BJJ guys, there's another 8 or 9 that cant.

That's the problem with using outliers as an example, they are special by definition,
you cant turn round and say anyone can do it. or we would all be running sub ten second 100s

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's what the online discussion is for.
It’s also For entertainment. That’s why I don’t complain when Jobo goes off on one of his cantankerous tirades. I just make some popcorn or grab some chips. Besides he usually is at least half right, which makes the discussion interesting.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have absolutely no problem ignoring people, and I don't even have a list. On forums, it's a skill that should be practiced! ;)

Yeah but how do you constantly let them know you are ignoring them?

l-45768-girls-be-like-im-ignoring-you-i-said-im-ignoring-you-dont-ignore-me-im-ignoring-you.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well yes, it probably wont work out from a practical perspective, because of the bell curve, for every one or two petite females that can learn to mix it with big strong BJJ guys, there's another 8 or 9 that cant.

That's the problem with using outliers as an example, they are special by definition,
you cant turn round and say anyone can do it. or we would all be running sub ten second 100s

We don't train for average.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only difference is sheer aggression. We can’t really account for that, but MMA outcomes seem to suggest the skills transfer.

No. Mental toughness, discipline and warrior ethos. These things that translate to sheer aggression. Are developed by training.

They are not some magical side factor.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. Mental toughness, discipline and warrior ethos. These things that translate to sheer aggression. Are developed by training.

They are not some magical side factor.
I agree you can make people who are not really aggressive very aggressive, I'm not sure that's a good thing for them or society as a whole

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

So BJJ is less effective because (in your mind) 90% of females entering BJJ can't handle the training?

Yeah, that makes sense..... :rolleyes:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't say that

You're saying that a practitioner of BJJ won't be able to perform to the art's strengths because they won't last long enough to get good at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions