For a’ that, an’ a’ that,
His ribband, star, an’ a’ that,
The man o’ independent mind,
He looks an’ laughs at a’ that.

OLD DOG NEW TRICKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just want personal opinion

I signed up for Muay Thai for a month but been going there off and on 1 month here 3
Months there
Recently a coach /owner there would roast me when I told him I didn’t want be paired up with a partner who was a lot bigger than me. We were holding pads. I held pads for big partner and back of my forearms were all bruised up a day after

He kicked hard as he was a big guy plus he was senior student.

Other times he would show a combo and I didn’t catch all of it and he would use his fingers to flick at my head and say this isn’t your first time. Kind demeaning . You know combos have small little nuances sometimes we forgot or miss

Ofc I didn’t purposely forgot it’s just I didn’t catch all small details of the combo

He would at times call me out infront of class. Kind like roast

What’s your thoughts on this ? I think I should be treated with some respect if I’m paying good money and ontop I’m a paying clients
Hello, being an instructor myself if someone flicked me on the head they would not enjoy the outcome. No excuse for the disrespect and no excuse for the senior student to not adjust his power on a beginner. This is pure arrogant behavior. My suggestion would be to find a real club and don't waste your time with these people.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with everybody here when you go to a any Martial arts class who ever your partner is your partner whether your skinny fat tall or short stature who ever is assign to you is your partner. like in my karate class i get mostly pair up with kids young than me like in there 20 or 16 years old or 15 years old and im 45. I would like to be partner with an adult but its not for me who i can choose its the instructor will choose for you. But i don't agree is for him to humiliate you in front of the class my karate teacher doesn't do that my karate instructor let only student in front of the class if their doing good kicks or good technique or good form my karate instructor always say if you have question ask me like if your have question on your technique or your kata or sets or even your basic he never hesitate to answer

But its up to you whether you wanna stay or quit you can always look for another Martial arts if you want a softer Martial arts tai chi would be good or kung fu

OP
J

Ji679

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't know his tone, but being corrected in front of everyone, in an MA class, is common. No place, or time, in most MA schools to take you aside and talk to you. If you have been to other gyms that don't do that, then go there snd stop going to the one yuo are currently complaining about.
They mentioned you name too
Joey was doing this wrong and announces to claws
This current gym I attend they don’t do that . They announce it but they don’t put a name to it

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This current gym I attend they don’t do that . They announce it but they don’t put a name to it
Yeah that's weird. I was picturing either, you were drilling and he said went to you and corrected you, which is in front of everyone but pretty normal. Or, mentioned something to you, then told the class during the next part of the drill "Hey make sure that you [insert issue here]", and you would obviously know he's talking about you.

If it's a class-wide issue, he can tell everyone without name dropping, since multiple people are having it. If it's a personal issue, no need to involve the class. He might have some reason for it, but I can't think of it.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think if you are going to make an example just to teach that something can happen to any of us. There is a way to do it without humiliating. Mind you some people take it the wrong way as well. I suppose if we were not there it is hard to see the intention. Dude could be a real cobra kai kind of idiot and just likes to make a power play.

the flick, well unless it was obviously playful. that would get some unwanted attention from me.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not really a fan of "whatever my instructor asks of me, there's gotta be a good reason". Unconditional respect is a bad idea. Respect should be earned, and has to be continually earned. Assuming nothing but positive about someone and giving them unconditional respect leads to bad teacher-student relationships, where the student fails to ask questions they should. This hampers the growth of both student and teacher.

And there is usually no good reason for just beating someone. Some of us needed the lesson in fighting (we get too cocky, and need to be taken down a peg), but for most of us that doesn't require a beating - just domination in sparring. And some of us needed the toughening, but that can also be had without a beating (though some toughening exercises might be described as a beating). The only really good reason I can think of is to get the experience of fighting through a beating. And that's not an exercise you'll need often.
I respected his as I wanted to, it was how I felt not how he commanded. But I probably phrased that all wrong. And yes he was def rough with me. But if I asked him to back off he would. No domination at all. Just went at it strong and my feelings for his teachings were also strong.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you are saying here? And who mentioned "my" name? Who is Joey?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah but I was responding to a specific mention of "true warrior".

Like Gerry said, he was taking about being "a man". I was referring to the idea that the "true warrior" masters many different arts idea. I think that is really fantasy and limited to a handful of examples over time, and mostly fictional.
Your whole argument revolves around semantics - low hanging fruit in the art of debate. The precise definition of ‘true warrior’ or ‘a man’ is unimportant in this type of discussion. We likely all have an internalised essentialist idea of what those broad terms means.

The concept of a ‘true warrior’ was a Japanese ideal - urbane, widely knowledgable and attempting to be accomplished in arts outside the combat arts (of which he was accomplished).

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying I’m not a Jedi? …all this time and now you tell me.
You can self-identify as whatever you like Wing Woo Gar and some countries have enshrined that idea in law.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Who is Joey?
Maybe this guy, but it takes a bit of effort to get him to admit it.
a-history-of-violence med.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a lot of things that could be going on. The instructor could be amazing but hard. Or he could be garbage or anywhere in between.

It's a spectrum.

The thing is there is enough martial arts out there that you can find your place anywhere along that spectrum.

This is not about fault. Just finding the best fit for you.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my career I've had a variety of instructors and some of them were rather "old school" and were tough task masters. But I can't ever remember any of them brow-beating myself or any other student. Sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and hang on, I would think. But it shouldn't ever happen regardless how rugged the physical training may be.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I‘ve read something very similar in Dave Lowry’s ‘Autumn Lightning’. True warrior should be skilled in flower arranging (chaban), the way of tea (sado) and poetry.
This is where "true warrior" came from, in this thread.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your whole argument revolves around semantics - low hanging fruit in the art of debate. The precise definition of ‘true warrior’ or ‘a man’ is unimportant in this type of discussion. We likely all have an internalised essentialist idea of what those broad terms means.

The concept of a ‘true warrior’ was a Japanese ideal - urbane, widely knowledgable and attempting to be accomplished in arts outside the combat arts (of which he was accomplished).
My argument was quoting you quoting Dave Lowry, verbatim.

I'm not sure where the "man" vs "warrior" crap came in, but it wasn't me.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions