Instructor being hard on me

Ji679

White Belt
Reaction score
Just want personal opinion

I signed up for Muay Thai for a month but been going there off and on 1 month here 3
Months there
Recently a coach /owner there would roast me when I told him I didn’t want be paired up with a partner who was a lot bigger than me. We were holding pads. I held pads for big partner and back of my forearms were all bruised up a day after

He kicked hard as he was a big guy plus he was senior student.

Other times he would show a combo and I didn’t catch all of it and he would use his fingers to flick at my head and say this isn’t your first time. Kind demeaning . You know combos have small little nuances sometimes we forgot or miss

Ofc I didn’t purposely forgot it’s just I didn’t catch all small details of the combo

He would at times call me out infront of class. Kind like roast

What’s your thoughts on this ? I think I should be treated with some respect if I’m paying good money and ontop I’m a paying clients

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you don't care for the instructor's methods or treatment, ask if you can speak to him privately about it. Then decide if you want to continue or not. You can't demand you be treated with respect, but you can stay or go. Have you signed a contract?

OP
J

Ji679

White Belt
Reaction score
If you don't care for the instructor's methods or treatment, ask if you can speak to him privately about it. Then decide if you want to continue or not. You can't demand you be treated with respect, but you can stay or go. Have you signed a contract?
I didn’t sign a contract
It’s month to month

When I mentioned I didn’t want hold pads for a guy 60’lbs heavier than me he started roasting me.
In approx 5 7 160 and this guy was 6 feet 220 and he kicked hard as he’s big and a senior student .
Am I being whiny or is this justified

I find Muay Thai gyms tend to have more attitude and d bag personality types
Bjj gyms tend to have more calmer and collected
Judo gyms are I attended were more humble and calmer too

Also if you didn’t get the combo correctly or missed a small nuance in the combo he would roast me
I got bit of adhd and paying attention to everything is kind hard as my mind wonders at time and I forgot the combo he just taught or needs explaining agaib .
Im 43 and doing high intense training isn’t easy . I noticed most people who attend the class are in their early to mid 20s
Doing boxing at this gym and trial now

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You’re paying to be there, just say you’re acting unprofessional and I don’t appreciate it. And if it persists then go to another gym.

OP
J

Ji679

White Belt
Reaction score
You’re paying to be there, just say you’re acting unprofessional and I don’t appreciate it. And if it persists then go to another gym.
I’m 40
Muay Thai is a high intense class
Sometimes I can’t keep up and get lazy and if he sees it he’ll start yelling and roasting me . I notice one student that slacked off while instructor was in washroom and he just gave him a smile like come on bro look
Had it been me it be yelled and roasted with names

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I find Muay Thai gyms tend to have more attitude and d bag personality types
Bjj gyms tend to have more calmer and collected
Judo gyms are I attended were more humble and calmer too
Even in the same martial art, different schools definitely have different atmospheres. If your going to a gym that caters to rough types and committed, competitive individuals, it probably isn't right for a more casual, recreational participant.

So, find a school and or art that suits you. Good luck at the boxing gym. I new a very serious boxing coach who also ran a very successful "family class". Something for everybody, even people who wanted to show up for work the next day without a lot of bruises!

bluepanther

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Other times he would show a combo and I didn’t catch all of it and he would use his fingers to flick at my head and say this isn’t your first time. Kind demeaning . You know combos have small little nuances sometimes we forgot or miss
Some martial arts instructors are on a power trip, kind of like some police officers. You're in their world and they want you to know it. Be kind of funny if he was in a math class and the teacher flicked him on the head when he didn't understand a math problem.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I’m 40
Muay Thai is a high intense class
Sometimes I can’t keep up and get lazy and if he sees it he’ll start yelling and roasting me . I notice one student that slacked off while instructor was in washroom and he just gave him a smile like come on bro look
Had it been me it be yelled and roasted with names
Well if it was me I’d have just left, I’m 38. Not going paying to be roasted and called names.

theres also an etiquette that’s suppose to go n in a gym. You’re not suppose to just go around beating up other students. It can become a legal liability waiver or not I imagine

not saying it’s good to slack off etc but there are ways to deal with that without being rude etc

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Ofc I didn’t purposely forgot it’s just I didn’t catch all small details of the combo

What’s your thoughts on this ? I think I should be treated with some respect if I’m paying good money and ontop I’m a paying clients
You're easily bullied, and the instructor has got your number. He knows who he can treat that way, and who he can't.

Last edited:

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This teacher is a bully and he’s enjoying (probably sexually) make you feel uneasy. Some might say he’s toughening you up, building resilience in you. Bol*ocks! You’re doing Muay Thai for fun not to be world champion.

Don’t go back and find another gym or even martial art where you are treated nothing more than like an adult.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just want personal opinion

I signed up for Muay Thai for a month but been going there off and on 1 month here 3
Months there
Recently a coach /owner there would roast me when I told him I didn’t want be paired up with a partner who was a lot bigger than me. We were holding pads. I held pads for big partner and back of my forearms were all bruised up a day after

He kicked hard as he was a big guy plus he was senior student.

Training martial arts, especially something like Muay Thai, you are going to get hurt and bruised, that is just a fact of life of training MA. And if you don't want to get hurt or bruised.... it may not be for you.

However being insulted and or belittled is not a fact of life in MA. You might want to give another school, or another style, a try

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe grow a set. 40 years old. Gee whiz. Quit moaning. I thought you were like 18.
Oh I think we'd get along great

Well, I am midway. Without being there it is hard to tell the intention of the encouragement. Some dojo are def more on the Navy Seal selection way of things. I guess it is all what you expect and can deal with.
In my past classes we took the piss out of each other quite a bit. Lot's of tolerance training, and we did lose students over it. I don't think I outright abused someone though. I certainly wouldn't put my highest and my lowest in a power off.

But I will say yes there is a degree of wipe your chin off. My Sensei beat the pulp out of me. From the very beginning. Frankly I was as skilled as a potato, still am. But I have a belt now so who cares..... oh wait that is another thread.
Who knows why it is that way. I remember when I was in my 1st dojo with my 1st Sensei, after a few years I think I was 4th kyu, the entire dojo went to Japan paid by a dojo fundraiser. Except me. Have to admit I was a little jilted by that. But I still went back.

So it's all in what messes with you too much. I myself couldn't handle Muay Thai. Just not tough enough or too old now. I think.

OP
J

Ji679

White Belt
Reaction score
I’ll be leaving a juicy review
Woah priceless

OP
J

Ji679

White Belt
Reaction score
Maybe grow a set. 40 years old. Gee whiz. Quit moaning. I thought you were like 18.

Why thank you so much 😊 Cough toxic masculinity
I’m don’t have endurance and stamina of young buck anymore

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're practicing a martial art known for hard contact and complaining about bruises. I don't think Bills advice is toxic anything.
Bill is considerably older than you.

OP
J

Ji679

White Belt
Reaction score
You're practicing a martial art known for hard contact and complaining about bruises. I don't think Bills advice is toxic anything.

Bill is considerably older than you.
This mt training is high intense. Few schools i attended most of fellow mates were early to mid 20s
You’ll see a guy around my age here and there but it’s a rarity and most of those guys been training since they were 2 . They didn’t just start 6 months ago and took a break for a year and came back and did 2 months and then took 2 years off and came back for 3 months
I do it for fun and self defense
No way I’m competing. I can’t afford to get hurt badly

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This mt training is high intense. Few schools i attended most of fellow mates were early to mid 20s
You’ll see a guy around my age here and there but it’s a rarity and most of those guys been training since they were 2 .
All pretty much irrelevant. If you don't want to get bruises, go to a school that trains soft. If you go to a school that trains hard, you're going to get bruises. Regardless of your skill level.
They didn’t just start 6 months ago and took a break for a year and came back and did 2 months and then took 2 years off and came back for 3 months
How is that even possible? How could you just start 6 months ago, but take 3 years off and train for 5 months?
I do it for fun and self defense
Learning to fight requires some bruises.

One possibility to consider. You describe this place as a fairly serious gym. But you're not a serious student. You just pop in once in a while and then vanish for months. Maybe they're saying, none too subtly, get serious or go away.

Last edited:

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think I have that guy blocked telling you to grow a set, imagine trying to act tough online.

Latest Discussions