Instructor being hard on me

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you are Dave Lowry?

I feel like I'm in a game of Clue. "Writes poetry, paints flowers, murders ". Hmm.

Musashi in the Conservatory with the Niten Doraku?
If you read my post, I was a little kid and my great uncle paraphrased something that apparently many people have said. I shared a memory of that. It’s the kind of thing any uncle might say to a 10 year old. I wasnt implying that I am anything or anyone special. Just for the record, I can arrange a bouquet as well as any mediocre florist.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you read my post, I was a little kid and my great uncle paraphrased something that apparently many people have said. I shared a memory of that. It’s the kind of thing any uncle might say to a 10 year old. I wasnt implying that I am anything or anyone special. Just for the record, I can arrange a bouquet as well as any mediocre florist.
"Dave Lowry’s ‘Autumn Lightning’. True warrior should be skilled in flower arranging (chaban), the way of tea (sado) and poetry."

I still disagree.

This is how we got "flowery fists" in Chinese kung fu.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Dave Lowry’s ‘Autumn Lightning’. True warrior should be skilled in flower arranging (chaban), the way of tea (sado) and poetry."

I still disagree.

Disagree with what? I’m not conflating a childhood memory with martial arts, or warrior codes, or anything at all. Simply an aside, a story, nothing more. I never should have posted it. I certainly smell good, I have some flowers tattooed here and there, but I am neither soft nor pretty.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Disagree with what? I’m not conflating a childhood memory with martial arts, or warrior codes, or anything at all. Simply an aside, a story, nothing more. I never should have posted it. I certainly smell good, I have some flowers tattooed here and there, but I am neither soft nor pretty.
With Dave Lowry and the "true warrior" stuff.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I still disagree.

You're kidding, right?

Because sorry, no.
"Flowery fists and embroidery kicks" ( ) is an idiom. It has nothing to do with being able to arrange flowers.

Besides, you've heard of ikebana?

Ikebana has always been considered a dignified accomplishment. All of Japan's most celebrated generals notably practised flower arranging, finding that it calmed their minds and made their decisions on the field of action clearer; notable military practitioners include Toyotomi Hideyoshi, one of Japan's most famous generals.

OP
J

Ji679

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, being an instructor myself if someone flicked me on the head they would not enjoy the outcome. No excuse for the disrespect and no excuse for the senior student to not adjust his power on a beginner. This is pure arrogant behavior. My suggestion would be to find a real club and don't waste your time with these people.
Well what can you do
He’s the head instructor and owner of the club

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have adhd also, I would say train more,more,more, and then some more! I want to fight guys bigger,stronger,faster etc then I am! Just be patient! Of course people not going to understand you having anything they don’t have understand that and get the mindset of my instructor is testing me(don’t want anyone using the art to hurt or kill anyone) get into it! Anything you get told over and over and over is just reinforcing what you already been told in time it will come good luck in you journey!!!!!

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Im actually shocked at the comments in here

the guys almost 40 yet some of the so called experts think it’s ok for him to be beat up etc

even on YouTube you’ll see many teachers and or physical therapists discuss the dangers of going too hard

whatever I guess lol

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You're kidding, right?

Because sorry, no.
"Flowery fists and embroidery kicks" ( ) is an idiom. It has nothing to do with being able to arrange flowers.

Besides, you've heard of ikebana?

Huāquánxiùtuǐ, I like that one..... there is another one I am trying to remember that my Sanda shifu said when he was referring to my first shifu...... translated to something like, your Kung Fu is pretty, like an embroider pillow.... he also said Huāquánxiùtuǐ in reference to him too

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Huāquánxiùtuǐ, I like that one..... there is another one I am trying to remember that my Sanda shifu said when he was referring to my first shifu...... translated to something like, your Kung Fu is pretty, like an embroider pillow.... he also said Huāquánxiùtuǐ in reference to him too
Correct me, that sounds like he was insulting your first Shifu? As in calling him a dancer? Whenever Sifu Woo called someone a dancer it was a certain type of insult to their fighting capacity.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The "true warrior" during the middle Samurai era belonged to the aristocratic class and was skilled in combat, strategy, the Chinese classics, calligraphy and other arts to produce a well-rounded individual. A combination of hard and soft. Miyamoto Musashi, a warrior of some note, also engaged in wood sculpture, painting and some poetry. To be immersed in an environment where violent death lurked in every corner, such training would help cope with the pressures of being a warrior, ready and willing to accept death at any time it was called for. Arts such as sumi-e ink painting and flower arranging require a spiritual calmness and emptiness that can aid in dealing with such a lifestyle. Yin + yang = balance and completeness.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Im actually shocked at the comments in here

the guys almost 40 yet some of the so called experts think it’s ok for him to be beat up etc

even on YouTube you’ll see many teachers and or physical therapists discuss the dangers of going too hard

whatever I guess lol
It's just the reality of things. Some places are like that. If it's the culture of the place then you'll either accept it or move on. By accepting, I mean you adopt the culture. So if they stand tall, then you stand tall. They want to be a jerk with the kicks then be jerk with the pads. If someone wants to flick you in the head. Ask them "What are you, 5 years old?" Come in serious like a warrior in training. And if they aren't serious then you be the bigger warrior. If a person doesn't want to go through all of that, then go train somewhere else. It just depends on the person.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's just the reality of things. Some places are like that. If it's the culture of the place then you'll either accept it or move on. By accepting, I mean you adopt the culture. So if they stand tall, then you stand tall. They want to be a jerk with the kicks then be jerk with the pads. If someone wants to flick you in the head. Ask them "What are you, 5 years old?" Come in serious like a warrior in training. And if they aren't serious then you be the bigger warrior. If a person doesn't want to go through all of that, then go train somewhere else. It just depends on the person.
I’m just wondering how so many so called experts didn’t know you need to protect your joints, be careful with sparring partners etc

Also many posts were insulting calling the guy irresponsible. Aren’t we suppose to be helping the guy know what to look for in a gym, at least a bit?

I’ve noticed that criticizing gyms is looked down on yet many are ok with criticizing others or an art

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’m just wondering how so many so called experts didn’t know you need to protect your joints, be careful with sparring partners etc

Also many posts were insulting calling the guy irresponsible. Aren’t we suppose to be helping the guy know what to look for in a gym, at least a bit?

I’ve noticed that criticizing gyms is looked down on yet many are ok with criticizing others or an art
When you're right you're right. Maybe the next request for advice will be more positive.

uniqfox

White Belt
Reaction score
Just want personal opinion

I signed up for Muay Thai for a month but been going there off and on 1 month here 3
Months there
Recently a coach /owner there would roast me when I told him I didn’t want be paired up with a partner who was a lot bigger than me. We were holding pads. I held pads for big partner and back of my forearms were all bruised up a day after

He kicked hard as he was a big guy plus he was senior student.

Other times he would show a combo and I didn’t catch all of it and he would use his fingers to flick at my head and say this isn’t your first time. Kind demeaning . You know combos have small little nuances sometimes we forgot or miss

Ofc I didn’t purposely forgot it’s just I didn’t catch all small details of the combo

He would at times call me out infront of class. Kind like roast

What’s your thoughts on this ? I think I should be treated with some respect if I’m paying good money and ontop I’m a paying clients

there's a diff between teaching actually useful techniques and getting injured, you were injured. suck it up buttercup isn't a legitimate excuse. I teach JKD as a side hustle and I have one golden rule: nobody talks down or demeans others. nobody is better or less than anybody. getting more hurt than usual isn't learning something useful its just getting hurt, and some have a high threshold tolerance for pain and punishment. but what too many martial arts testosterone junkies fail to realize is that some bodily injuries sustained can worsen over time, and to take that **** seriously. I'd walk away and find another place. the loss of income will teach the teacher a badly needed attitude adjustment.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
The "true warrior" during the middle Samurai era belonged to the aristocratic class and was skilled in combat, strategy, the Chinese classics, calligraphy and other arts to produce a well-rounded individual. A combination of hard and soft. Miyamoto Musashi, a warrior of some note, also engaged in wood sculpture, painting and some poetry. To be immersed in an environment where violent death lurked in every corner, such training would help cope with the pressures of being a warrior, ready and willing to accept death at any time it was called for. Arts such as sumi-e ink painting and flower arranging require a spiritual calmness and emptiness that can aid in dealing with such a lifestyle. Yin + yang = balance and completeness.
I didn’t mean to compare myself or my great uncle to any samurai, or warrior, or anything at all. I should mention that my great uncle was born and raised in Hawaii circa 1920, so maybe Asian influences on the island culture at that time affected his beliefs? Maybe it was just something he had read and identified with? In any case, I was a delivery boy for a high end florist as a teenager where I learned to arrange flowers. My wife loves the bouquets I arrange for her and my mother did as well. If nothing else, that skill has made many people in my family happy over the years.

Latest Discussions