Instructor being hard on me

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
They mentioned you name too
Joey was doing this wrong and announces to claws
This current gym I attend they don’t do that . They announce it but they don’t put a name to it
I get what you're saying. They call you out, as in "Joey sucks, here's why".

So you've already changed gyms?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
By the way. I did know of a trainer who was very good. But used to brow beat his students.

And so it was a toss up for guys who wanted to be really good that they just had to put up with it.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I’ve trained with a lot of asshats at the dojos they ran. Pain in the butt sometimes, but in a big picture kind of way, I learned a lot. A whole lot.

Martial Arts, it’s just the balls.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My argument was quoting you quoting Dave Lowry, verbatim.

I'm not sure where the "man" vs "warrior" crap came in, but it wasn't me.

That "crap" came from the post he was quoting:

When I was a kid I asked my great uncle what makes you a man. He said, a man is not a complete man until he can arrange flowers, speak at least two languages, and play a musical instrument. That advice continues to pay dividends. He was a golden gloves boxer in the navy and a consummate tough guy.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
My argument was quoting you quoting Dave Lowry, verbatim.

I'm not sure where the "man" vs "warrior" crap came in, but it wasn't me.
That “crap” came from me. It was simply a memory. Definitions of man and warrior are pretty broad. Nobody needs to be upset if they don’t meet my expectations, I’m ok with being disappointed in people.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nobody needs to be upset if they don’t meet my expectations, I’m ok with being disappointed in people.
Lol.. do I need head grear to participate here. The last thread I was required a logic book lol.

What was the outcome of the OP? Did he stay or find a new place?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lol.. do I need head grear to participate here. The last thread I was required a logic book lol.

What was the outcome of the OP? Did he stay or find a new place?
He never has said. I’m from a school where you ask to be taught. If the Sifu says do something, you do it with your whole heart and truly submit to the training. It’s why we don’t teach kids and we don’t try to make a business model out of it. Nothing wrong with that stuff, it just isn’t the same type of teaching methodology as what we do. I’m not interested in fragile egos or being a babysitter. I’m interested in the people who are interested in learning the thing I teach the way that I teach it. My Sifu and Sigung were both hard men, I’m nowhere near them in skill or hardness. If someone told my teachers how to run their school, that someone would be out on their ***. I don’t flick people, I don’t call names or bully either. I DO expect students to do what I tell them during class. I DO expect students to recognize that I’m the skipper when they ride my boat.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I charge $7.50 per 1 hour class. I always give the first week free. If someone doesn’t like my teaching style, they haven’t risked much to find that out. Mostly, people quit when the pain of hard regular exercise sets in. The rest quit when they realize I’m going to make them do the same painful thing 50,000 times with no rewards, no ranks, no snazzy outfit, no trophy, no coddling etc. The ones that stay with it earn my respect for their hard work, and a place within my family. There is almost nothing I wouldn’t do for my long term students/ family members.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No headgear necessary. Cup is optional.
lol. I will tread lightly with my cup.

1702424143580.jpeg

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I posted the “crap”. I stand by it. It was simply a memory.
So you are Dave Lowry?

I feel like I'm in a game of Clue. "Writes poetry, paints flowers, murders ". Hmm.

Musashi in the Conservatory with the Niten Doraku?

Latest Discussions