If you could spar with any person here who would it be?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
:)

This too is Repulse Monkey

Jow gar. Remember how your mate stuffed this take down and threw himself?

Did not go deep enough.

Interesting because the student on this video got pulled up on doing the same thing.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
(yer what, @Bill Mattocks , 5'9"?)

I was 5'10" until age and grabbity got hold of me. 235 pounds of slow-moving train.

We did some light kumite Monday night. This 15 year old brown belt who is taller than me and weighs about a buck forty gave me a reverse kick to the chest that reminded me how slow I am. But because I don't hold grudges, when I got out of the way of his sloppy mawashigeri, my squat kick to his left kidney as he swung past me was only 3/4 power. He's walking a little funny for awhile.

Probably shouldn't have punched him in the throat, though. That was just mean.

;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I understand and don't understand. As I was taught techniques, all were done with speed. That was mostly because we very often moved into an attack. Speed and accuracy were paramount. But the technique didn't rely on speed to the point that there was a point where it was quick enough to work, but if slower, it could not work. I don't think I am saying that well. We wanted the maximum speed we could do, but the mechanics of the technique didn't make the technique, rather the correct application of the technique. Does that make sense to you or do I need to take another stab at it? It almost confuses me. :)

OK. Spazzy submissions. Which is one of my pet hates.

You can just lurch on to an arm and try to reef it off.
Generally you try this in conjunction with hand trapping. So you are basically trying to catch the arm on the move and then continue its momentum until it breaks.

It it ultimately low percentage because the time and space required to do the lock is generally more than a person who is really squirming will allow you.

It is also increadably mean spirited because to even vaguely make it work you have to go hard on it.

The alternative is to gain a dominant position. Which gives you that time and space to apply the lock at any speed regardless of what the other guy is trying to do.

Last edited:

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Technically, you don't have to really touch your opponant until you apply pressure. Let him think he has the upper hand until he feels the pain. If he wants to pull out, fine. Start him back peddling and don't let him regain his balance. Press the attack and take him down. Mount, or break off and take five.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Technically, you don't have to really touch your opponant until you apply pressure. Let him think he has the upper hand until he feels the pain. If he wants to pull out, fine. Start him back peddling and don't let him regain his balance. Press the attack and take him down. Mount, or break off and take five.

Nope.

Give them nothing.

Take from them everything.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK. Spazzy submissions. Which is one of my pet hates..

Spazzy submissions? If it makes you feel good, hate away.

You can just lurch on to an arm and try to reef it off.
Generally you try this in conjunction with hand trapping. So you are basically trying to catch the arm on the move and then continue its momentum until it breaks..

That isn't quite how we do it most of the time.

It it ultimately low percentage because the time and space required to do the lock is generally more than a person who is really squirming will allow you..

I did say we have to be fast and accurate. If you aren't willing to train to that, Hapkido wouldn't be for you. The application of the techniques we learn are intended not to give our opponent time to react in a way we don't want, against us or our technique.

It is also increadably mean spirited because to even vaguely make it work you have to go hard on it..

Mean spirited? What martial art trains to be gentle to an attacker? If you are talking about sparring, no we don't want to harm our practice opponent. That was my point to begin with.

The alternative is to gain a dominant position. Which gives you that time and space to apply the lock at any speed regardless of what the other guy is trying to do.

Well consider this: different martial arts emphasize different things. They may stress blocks, punches and kicks. Some want to use weapons only. Some prefer to grapple. Some want to grapple on the ground. Some want to blend many martial arts. They all have value, if done correctly as they are taught.

But in the Hapkido I learned, we don't want to be on the ground. That is where we want our opponent to be. You want to do it differently than the Hapkido I learned, go for it. If you don't want to learn what I have learned, so be it. But I don't think you, me, or anyone else should arbitrarily speak derisively of arts we haven't learned and practiced, and therefor don't, and can't really understand. If you don't believe that, again, so be it. There is no loss for me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Spazzy submissions? If it makes you feel good, hate away.

That isn't quite how we do it most of the time.

I did say we have to be fast and accurate. If you aren't willing to train to that, Hapkido wouldn't be for you. The application of the techniques we learn are intended not to give our opponent time to react in a way we don't want, against us or our technique.

Mean spirited? What martial art trains to be gentle to an attacker? If you are talking about sparring, no we don't want to harm our practice opponent. That was my point to begin with.

Well consider this: different martial arts emphasize different things. They may stress blocks, punches and kicks. Some want to use weapons only. Some prefer to grapple. Some want to grapple on the ground. Some want to blend many martial arts. They all have value, if done correctly as they are taught.

But in the Hapkido I learned, we don't want to be on the ground. That is where we want our opponent to be. You want to do it differently than the Hapkido I learned, go for it. If you don't want to learn what I have learned, so be it. But I don't think you, me, or anyone else should arbitrarily speak derisively of arts we haven't learned and practiced, and therefor don't, and can't really understand. If you don't believe that, again, so be it. There is no loss for me.

Sorry what?

I am not sure how much you are reading into my thread. But I am not discussing hapkido. And I am not speaking derisively of arts I know nothing about.

I am speaking about what does and does not work in regards to training and applying standing arm locks. Something I know a fair bit about.

I can pull off standing armlocks in sparring by the way. And I don't have to tear the arm out of the socket to do it.

But yes. Having a look. This for example pretty much won't work.

Last edited:

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry what?

I am not sure how much you are reading into my thread. But I am not discussing hapkido. And I am not speaking derisively of arts I know nothing about.

I am speaking about what does and does not work in regards to training and applying standing arm locks. Something I know a fair bit about.

I can pull off standing armlocks in sparring by the way. And I don't have to tear the arm out of the socket to do it.

I disagree. If your "opponent" is moving in for a handshake it might be practical.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I disagree. If your "opponent" is moving in for a handshake it might be practical.

There is a party trick where you underarm crank someone from an elbow grab. Which I sometimes do to bouncer friends of mine. But it is still low percentage.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry what?

I don't understand that. I never said anything about being sorry about anything. Should I have?

I guess that is the disconnect, I was discussing Hapkido, and thought you were too. And I didn't know you knew a lot about Hapkido. What rank do you hold in Hapkido?

That may well be since you seem to know a lot about the Hapkido I studied.

That is great! As long as my opponent knows what technique I am going to employ, and I don't do it at speed, so can I. But that isn't how I understand sparring works. That said, I may indeed be able to stop a technique before it does damage, but that will be harder in the speed and intensity that usually accompanies sparring. Do you spar differently?

Can you explain why that won't work?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't understand that. I never said anything about being sorry about anything. Should I have?

I guess that is the disconnect, I was discussing Hapkido, and thought you were too. And I didn't know you knew a lot about Hapkido. What rank do you hold in Hapkido?

That may well be since you seem to know a lot about the Hapkido I studied.

That is great! As long as my opponent knows what technique I am going to employ, and I don't do it at speed, so can I. But that isn't how I understand sparring works. That said, I may indeed be able to stop a technique before it does damage, but that will be harder in the speed and intensity that usually accompanies sparring. Do you spar differently?

Can you explain why that won't work?

So we are going to play this game are we?

Cool. I spent the last twenty years putting standing armlocks on people actively trying to hurt me. So i know bubkus about hapkido. But i can tell you which arm locks are going work and which are not.

Who have you hapkidoed?
A hundred people? A thousand?

The arm lock in the video does not work. Because arms move faster than that in real life. Especially if they are punching at you.

You do not have the time to manipulate an arm before they manipulate their own arm out of the way. Except in very rare circumstances.

The reason any arm lock works is because you secure the arm and manipulate it with your whole body.

That is why you cant do armlocks in sparring. And not because you are too deadly.

Latest Discussions