If you could spar with any person here who would it be?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In my opinion you often make great contributions to the forums. Sorry, the above two posts don't qualify in my opinion, and just aren't worth replying to. If you were trying to be tongue in cheek, sorry it didn't come across to me that way. Considering the level of posting you are capable of, I don't really know what you want to do with those two posts, but it doesn't do you credit imho.
i would say the same foe yiu. I think if you're sparring with a Grappler, eye pokes would be handled just like you would handle them normally. how would you handle it in your regular sparring? do that. unless you really are poking out eyes. Then definitely don't do that.

there's this fiction that grapplers are incapable if working outside of a tiny box. I'm surprised you've bought into it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, I don't remember how many. I quit counting after the first 200 or so.:(

Do you think my answer is more silly, or your question?
pretty close and I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it.

I think it's sad that your first post wasn't also intended to be silly as ridiculous as it was.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying "speed breaks," and I don't know how that differs from other breaks, are less that reliable. Please clarify for me. Thanks.

I agree poking eyes isn't unique, but how often does it happen? Would accept it happening in sparring?
By "speed break" in this context, I'm referring to a joint lock where your technique relies on applying it so quickly that your partner wouldn't have time to tap if you were using it in sparring (as opposed to a real fight, where you wouldn't care if your opponent tapped). In my experience, joint locks are much more reliable when you have isolated and controlled your opponent's limb. If you have that control, you have the option of applying the lock slowly enough that your partner/opponent has time to tap. If you don't have that control and therefore need to compensate by applying the technique full speed, there is a pretty decent chance your opponent may escape the lock. Relying on speed, IMO, leads to a lower success rate but a higher rate of injury in training.

As far as eye poking goes, it's not something you can safely do for real in training (sparring or otherwise). There are a few ways you can simulate it if you want to improve your reflexes for applying or defending against eye attacks, but it's best to do those exercises with someone you trust. Anyway, my point is that leaving eye pokes out of your sparring doesn't really handicap you anymore than it does your sparring partner.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as eye poking goes, it's not something you can safely do for real in training (sparring or otherwise). There are a few ways you can simulate it if you want to improve your reflexes for applying or defending against eye attacks, but it's best to do those exercises with someone you trust. Anyway, my point is that leaving eye pokes out of your sparring doesn't really handicap you anymore than it does your sparring partner.

We have a set of Kudo masks. Anybody want an eye poke off. Pop in.

images

Otherwise can do headbutts and elbows grappling and striking with the things. And fight full contact.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying "speed breaks," and I don't know how that differs from other breaks, are less that reliable. Please clarify for me. Thanks.

I agree poking eyes isn't unique, but how often does it happen? Would accept it happening in sparring?

We get it a bit sparring with mma gloves.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Playing the lute. Comes with two working arms.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
An entire You
I know the guys you are talking about. They have a YouTube channel called martial arts tutor. They unfortunately had the bad experience of a classic TDK mcdojo. Then they left and began a crusade against TMA, then go on to say things like "well not all TMA is bad" then a few minutes later put TMA in a negative light by saying things like MMA guys will always beat a TMA guy.

Sad because they actually have potential in TKD but oh well. It's their loss not ours. I don't think these guys are bad people, but they really do need to rethink their stance on TMA, just because you have had one bad apple doesn't make the whole bunch bad.

I would spar against them, not out of spite or anythibg but just for fun. We are mostly on the same page and both hate mcdojos and dislike anything that has zero emphasis on full contact sparring.
An entire YouTube channel devoted to them talking about subject they don't fully understand. A little knowledge clearly is a dangerous thing.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
i would say the same foe yiu. I think if you're sparring with a Grappler, eye pokes would be handled just like you would handle them normally. how would you handle it in your regular sparring? do that. unless you really are poking out eyes. Then definitely don't do that.

there's this fiction that grapplers are incapable if working outside of a tiny box. I'm surprised you've bought into it.

To be honest I don't get why he said not being able to use eye pokes and dislocations would cripple him in SPARRING? Who spars like that? It sounds to me like he is confusing FIGHTING with SPARRING.

I have never broken someones bones at the joints in sparring because that would be ridiculous. It is a sparring match not a mortal kombat.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
By "speed break" in this context, I'm referring to a joint lock where your technique relies on applying it so quickly that your partner wouldn't have time to tap if you were using it in sparring (as opposed to a real fight, where you wouldn't care if your opponent tapped). In my experience, joint locks are much more reliable when you have isolated and controlled your opponent's limb. If you have that control, you have the option of applying the lock slowly enough that your partner/opponent has time to tap. If you don't have that control and therefore need to compensate by applying the technique full speed, there is a pretty decent chance your opponent may escape the lock. Relying on speed, IMO, leads to a lower success rate but a higher rate of injury in training.

Thanks for your reply. I understand and don't understand. As I was taught techniques, all were done with speed. That was mostly because we very often moved into an attack. Speed and accuracy were paramount. But the technique didn't rely on speed to the point that there was a point where it was quick enough to work, but if slower, it could not work. I don't think I am saying that well. We wanted the maximum speed we could do, but the mechanics of the technique didn't make the technique, rather the correct application of the technique. Does that make sense to you or do I need to take another stab at it? It almost confuses me. :)

As to eye poking, we don't do that with every other technique, so perhaps that wasn't a good example. But many things could break a bone or dislocate a joint. The problem with sparring is that if you move at speed, and the sparring opponent doesn't know what technique you will employ, he may not have time to move into the direction of the technique before a part of him is damaged. It's not quite the same as controlling a punch or kick so the focus is 1/4 inch from the opponent, and that is where it stops instead of one inch inside the opponent.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd love to have a drink (or two lol) with you, sadly I think it's too far, though my son in law could stand in for me, he goes to Kentucky a couple of times a year bringing racehorses to the races. He's a lovely man.
Nothing better than having a drink while watching horses run around....ha ha

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two of the most slappable faces I've seen in recent years. Forgot all about them until someone brought them up. Oh, wait....

Seriously, though?

I'd love to spar, in no particular order, rhyme or reason, Bill Mattocks, Chris Parker, and Steve. Chris Parker and Steve because I think we could learn a lot from each other, and Bill Mattocks because he's capable, closer to my age, and the kind of body-type that's always given me a little difficulty.....(yer what, @Bill Mattocks , 5'9"?) Tony Dismukes and Rich Parsons for pretty much the same reasons, except they're both taller and maybe biggeer than me, and I don't get to spar guys bigger than me that much.....Brian VanCise because I keep talking about training in Vegas with him, and I deserve a beating for not getting around to it.
rolling.gif

......and they'd all be for fun.......

I wish Bill Cehak or that Zenjael dipwad were still here, though: signed releases, EMTs on standby, make 'em eat floor...
rolling.gif

Hanzou, so I could whisper "just judo" to him as he taps....
rolling.gif

Having a drink while playing poker! (See above, in re: "Vegas."
rolling.gif
)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. "Shhh... Just judo... Now go to sleep." :)

When I was a bouncer, about a hundred years ago, I wound up choking a guy out to pull him off another bouncer....I'd actually gotten into the habit of humming lullabies into my partner's ears when practicing rear naked chokes, and did the same thing to that guy...almost got my *** sued!
rolling.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I remember he brought back some particularly fine Bourbon when he was there last year. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott Adkins. Yeah I'd get my **** kicked, but to know why is pure gold. I would ask "How the hell can you spin so much" Perhaps quite mundane, but still

Latest Discussions