Tree hitting.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anyone here do it? I been doing it often lately and I will upload the video here soon after i find some cool 80's music to put to it.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nope. There's no give to a tree, so I would either seriously damage my hand/wrist/nerves/bones, or get used to not punching at full (or close to full power). And if I was going to do soemthing like that, I'd punch a makiwara. At least those are made for punching...no reason to hurt a poor ol' tree :p

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no reason to hit a tree. I can get more real benefit from a heavy bag or makiwara.

Besides, trees break too easy. I'd hate to be responsible for deforestation and the resulting increase in the global CO2 level.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it is bad why was it done back then? I am not arguing I am just curious.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

How about this... next time you get sick, open a vein and let yourself bleed out the evil humors.
After all, that was once accepted therapy for many (most?) diseases.

We have better tools available to us. Like antibiotics. And heavy bags. Use them.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hit trees it's fine if you know the correct way to do it, same as any condition exercises you need a teacher and the right herbal formula or jow

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Similar to what DIrty Dog said..it's not bad per se. If you know what you are doing it is good conditioning. But there are less risky ways to get the same results.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are plenty of ways to increase your striking abilities and / or toughen your hands that don't involve destroying a tree, and they're also much less damaging to your hands and feet. Furthermore, repeatedly getting splinters in your skin isn't too good, since quite a few types of wood / bark contain chemical irritants that you probably don't want circulating in your body.

Unless you need lumber or some other wood products, there's no reason to hit a tree. If you did need such products, an axe and chainsaw would be much better.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I work out on trees from time to time when training Eskrima. I look for one with branches that mimic an opponent's arm wielding a stick at various angles. I pull the block or strike just short of contact. Otherwise you could bruise the living tissue under the bark and damage the tree ...especially some species with thinner bark like Palo Verde.

Check out the Palo Verde in the picture below. Imagine that instead of that nasty cholla on the right, that was me. The branch would be nearly perfect for training "roof blocks", ducking and evading, etc. And unlike boards, very occasionally, trees hit back (at least on windy days)!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8378gcp6YCs/T34caMb1rBI/AAAAAAAAAVM/7YlEM9E6xzA/s1600/walk+001.JPG

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm afraid to punch trees. Even more so to kick one. My shins and feet winced just typing that.

I would, however, love to watch somebody grapple with a tree. That would be cool.

Zeny

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Take care of your arms and feet.

Do not hit trees.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have seen videos of older Okinawan karate masters performing makiwara type training on large stones and trees, not just purpose-built makiwara boards.

I frankly am not overly interested in that type of training, although we do practice kotekitae to some extent. I don't mean that I don't think the conditioning training on stones or trees is bad, just that it's not something I want to do. I work in IT; I need to have functioning hands for typing on a daily basis. It's tough enough dealing with bruises and the occasional broken toe or rib; I can't allow myself to be put in a position where I can't type; I would lose my job.

Latest Discussions