If you could spar with any person here who would it be?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me personally I would like to spar with hanzou or jowgawolf. The reason I say this is because I feel like it would be a learning experience as I don't even get to go against skilled grapplers let alone good bjj guys. Most of them are sadly UFC nerds who think a few months practice makes them invincible.

And jowgawolf because I have very limited experience with Chinese martial arts. I feel that would be a good way to see it first hand. Now I am very positive I would lose the matches but I don't care to be honest. For me sparring is not always about winning or losing but learning about yourself, it is a good way to see what you need to work on and how far you have come along.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone :) It might sound cheesy but I know I'd learn from sparring from anyone here. All of the other BJJers here would destroy me on the matts. It would be fun to roll against you, Ironbear, or spar with any of the stand up folks like jowgawolf.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Me personally I would like to spar with hanzou or jowgawolf. The reason I say this is because I feel like it would be a learning experience as I don't even get to go against skilled grapplers let alone good bjj guys. Most of them are sadly UFC nerds who think a few months practice makes them invincible.

And jowgawolf because I have very limited experience with Chinese martial arts. I feel that would be a good way to see it first hand. Now I am very positive I would lose the matches but I don't care to be honest. For me sparring is not always about winning or losing but learning about yourself, it is a good way to see what you need to work on and how far you have come along.
ha ha ha.. since you put it that way. My ego would say to get hanzou in the ring to prove a point. But my mind would tell me that I would be better off sparring with someone who is interested in learning that way I can learn as well. I would get nothing out of sparring if I'm only doing it to prove a point about something I already know I can do. There's no growth in that. We I spar with others I point out openings that I'm taking advantage of and I give my opponent insight on how I'm trying to control the fight. To me that type of information is valuable but only a person who is willing to spar for the sake of learning will be able to share that type of information.

The skill level wouldn't be important to me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anyone :) It might sound cheesy but I know I'd learn from sparring from anyone here. All of the other BJJers here would destroy me on the matts. It would be fun to roll against you, Ironbear, or spar with any of the stand up folks like jowgawolf.
I would make the BJJ practitioners earn their use of the ground game. I have no interest with being on the ground but I would love to try counter every attempt to put me there.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Kuniggety-basically anyone on here. Almost everyone here seems to be aware of what they are doing, has an interesting perspective, and would be able to give me advice/help me improve my own game. Hopefully I would be able to do the same for them, but who knows.

That said, I'd prefer not to do it with someone who focuses on their ground game if I had to choose just one. I am not sufficient enough in my ground game to make it worth it-maybe if I train it more it would be, but it's not a high priority for me at the moment.

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah I agree with knuggity too. Sparring with anyone here should be a cool experience.

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agre with what JowGaWolf said. And I wouldn't mind getting my *** kicked by anyone. Been a long time since I last got to spar. I may be rusty, but underestimate me and you will learn not to make assumptions. A fighter's three greatest weapons (after the voice) are over confidence, confusion, and fear.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
My attitude about sparring is it's a learning experience.
So anyone willing to spar with that attitude would be a welcome experience. Standing, ground, weapons, all good.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agre with what JowGaWolf said. And I wouldn't mind getting my *** kicked by anyone. Been a long time since I last got to spar. I may be rusty, but underestimate me and you will learn not to make assumptions. A fighter's three greatest weapons (after the voice) are over confidence, confusion, and fear.

Our chief weapons are fear, surprise, an almost ruthless devotion to the pope, and these lovely red uniforms.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Kuniggety-basically anyone on here. Almost everyone here seems to be aware of what they are doing, has an interesting perspective, and would be able to give me advice/help me improve my own game. Hopefully I would be able to do the same for them, but who knows.

That said, I'd prefer not to do it with someone who focuses on their ground game if I had to choose just one. I am not sufficient enough in my ground game to make it worth it-maybe if I train it more it would be, but it's not a high priority for me at the moment.

Agreed. The problem with grapplers, or at least the Hapkido I learned, is basically there are no rules against using anything we have learned if we have to fight. If I have to live by other rules, such as not actually dislocating joints, or poking out eyes, I am crippled. But even so, it would be interesting, and we did spar some in the Hapkido I learned, but rarely, and then but pretty much by TKD rules. There are things I can learn there as well, such as an attack in a way I may not have seen before, such as a set up to an attack I hadn't seen before.

I suspect BJJ practitioners would require more care on my part, since I could not react in ways that could easily stop their game. But it would all be good no matter who I spared with, nor how often I might get beat. :)

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sparring is about learning, and so I'd be happy to spar anybody here. I'm sure I could learn something from everybody.

I'd probably get particular benefit from sparring some of the CMA practitioners, like JowGaWolf, since I don't get to work with that style of movement very often. I have more experience sparring with grapplers, boxers, kickboxers, and karateka.

If I have to live by other rules, such as not actually dislocating joints, or poking out eyes, I am crippled.

Eh - it's an equal handicap all the way around. Poking eyes isn't unique to any style. As for dislocating joints, that's what tapping is for. (If you rely on a "speed break" of the joint that doesn't allow time for tapping ... those are rather less than reliable anyway.)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'd rather go out to dinner with everybody than to spar with them. And I'll bet we would have a grand time with no arguments at all.

Then, I'd like to work out with everyone, and then watch you all spar if you so desired. That would be fun.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I have to live by other rules, such as not actually dislocating joints, or poking out eyes, I am crippled.
And that is why good technical sparring is important. One should be able to spar with control and allow for the other to tap.

But it would all be good no matter who I spared with, nor how often I might get beat. :)
Sparring should not be about beating or getting beat. It is about learning. Using new tactics, working different timing, or new techniques. Working against a different set of tactics and movements. Learning
Having the thoughts of getting beat, beating the other, winning, losing, has no place in sparring. Getting better and helping your sparring partner get better is why we spar.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyone, but especially the TKD folks who don't spar under WTF rules. It would also be fun to see what might be left of my Judo skills from decades ago.

And then we do need to go out for beers.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just thinking....about a year or so ago, a guy joined our forum for a bit. He took and taught TKD, but no longer liked TKD. So he filmed himself and his pretty boy buddy and all they did was talk bad about TKD, real bad, about how good whatever it was they were now doing was. And this was while he was still teaching children at his Instructor's school. Do you remember this kid? He looked like Howard Wolowitz on Big Bang Theory.

I want to spar with both these guys. Badly. I'd even pay to do so.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not sure about sparring, but would be interested in sharing a beverage with quite a few on this board.

To name a few (In no particular order):

- Tez
- Chris Parker
- Tony (Might make this happen one day as he trains down the road from me)
- Drop Bear
- Buka
etc...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Agreed. The problem with grapplers, or at least the Hapkido I learned, is basically there are no rules against using anything we have learned if we have to fight. If I have to live by other rules, such as not actually dislocating joints, or poking out eyes, I am crippled. But even so, it would be interesting, and we did spar some in the Hapkido I learned, but rarely, and then but pretty much by TKD rules. There are things I can learn there as well, such as an attack in a way I may not have seen before, such as a set up to an attack I hadn't seen before.

I suspect BJJ practitioners would require more care on my part, since I could not react in ways that could easily stop their game. But it would all be good no matter who I spared with, nor how often I might get beat. :)
You actually dislocate joints and poke out eyes when you spar? Hardcore. How many eyes have you poked out? I'm morbidly curious.