If you could spar with any person here who would it be?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just thinking....about a year or so ago, a guy joined our forum for a bit. He took and taught TKD, but no longer liked TKD. So he filmed himself and his pretty boy buddy and all they did was talk bad about TKD, real bad, about how good whatever it was they were now doing was. And this was while he was still teaching children at his Instructor's school. Do you remember this kid? He looked like Howard Wolowitz on Big Bang Theory.

I want to spar with both these guys. Badly. I'd even pay to do so.
ha ha ha. I was wondering when the real you would come out. All this peaceful talk and zen on this topic. You can't deny your beast. Sometimes you just have to feed it. lol

OP
Ironbear24

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just thinking....about a year or so ago, a guy joined our forum for a bit. He took and taught TKD, but no longer liked TKD. So he filmed himself and his pretty boy buddy and all they did was talk bad about TKD, real bad, about how good whatever it was they were now doing was. And this was while he was still teaching children at his Instructor's school. Do you remember this kid? He looked like Howard Wolowitz on Big Bang Theory.

I want to spar with both these guys. Badly. I'd even pay to do so.

I know the guys you are talking about. They have a YouTube channel called martial arts tutor. They unfortunately had the bad experience of a classic TDK mcdojo. Then they left and began a crusade against TMA, then go on to say things like "well not all TMA is bad" then a few minutes later put TMA in a negative light by saying things like MMA guys will always beat a TMA guy.

Sad because they actually have potential in TKD but oh well. It's their loss not ours. I don't think these guys are bad people, but they really do need to rethink their stance on TMA, just because you have had one bad apple doesn't make the whole bunch bad.

I would spar against them, not out of spite or anythibg but just for fun. We are mostly on the same page and both hate mcdojos and dislike anything that has zero emphasis on full contact sparring.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would like to spar @Danny T ,lives in my same state, seems like a very knowledgeable man. I could probably learn a lot from him, as I get beat with a stick and tapped out at the same time lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not possible...Buka is a Taiji guy now...and us taiji guys are all very mellow, calm and mostly harmless
Yeah harmless is the first thing comes to my mind first when thinking about taiji and playing the lute.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about sparring, but would be interested in sharing a beverage with quite a few on this board.

To name a few (In no particular order):

- Tez
- Chris Parker
- Tony (Might make this happen one day as he trains down the road from me)
- Drop Bear
- Buka
etc...

I'd love to have a drink (or two lol) with you, sadly I think it's too far, though my son in law could stand in for me, he goes to Kentucky a couple of times a year bringing racehorses to the races. He's a lovely man.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Me personally I would like to spar with hanzou or jowgawolf. The reason I say this is because I feel like it would be a learning experience as I don't even get to go against skilled grapplers let alone good bjj guys. Most of them are sadly UFC nerds who think a few months practice makes them invincible.

And jowgawolf because I have very limited experience with Chinese martial arts. I feel that would be a good way to see it first hand. Now I am very positive I would lose the matches but I don't care to be honest. For me sparring is not always about winning or losing but learning about yourself, it is a good way to see what you need to work on and how far you have come along.

You so I can kick your *** :p kidding lol I don't know people properly here so anyone

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yeah harmless is the first thing comes to my mind first when thinking about taiji and playing the lute.

How could playing one of these be anything but pleasant

20113411305172455.jpg

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sparring is about learning, and so I'd be happy to spar anybody here. I'm sure I could learn something from everybody.

I'd probably get particular benefit from sparring some of the CMA practitioners, like JowGaWolf, since I don't get to work with that style of movement very often. I have more experience sparring with grapplers, boxers, kickboxers, and karateka.

Eh - it's an equal handicap all the way around. Poking eyes isn't unique to any style. As for dislocating joints, that's what tapping is for. (If you rely on a "speed break" of the joint that doesn't allow time for tapping ... those are rather less than reliable anyway.)

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying "speed breaks," and I don't know how that differs from other breaks, are less that reliable. Please clarify for me. Thanks.

I agree poking eyes isn't unique, but how often does it happen? Would accept it happening in sparring?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You actually dislocate joints and poke out eyes when you spar? Hardcore. How many eyes have you poked out? I'm morbidly curious.

Well, I don't remember how many. I quit counting after the first 200 or so.:(

Do you think my answer is more silly, or your question?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep the eyeballs of my former sparring partners on a necklace. It goes surprisingly well with a wide variety of day and evening wear.

Mine popped out during a spinning hook kick while sparring, once. It actually distracted my partner enough that he didn't even try to block the kick, which knocked him down and stunned him pretty well.

Happily, prosthetic eyes are not all that fragile, so I was back in "one piece" faster than he was, and I've since formed the habit of squinting or closing that eye while spinning to prevent this from becoming a common sparring technique.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
that's exactly my question. How often does poking eyes happen for you?

In my opinion you often make great contributions to the forums. Sorry, the above two posts don't qualify in my opinion, and just aren't worth replying to. If you were trying to be tongue in cheek, sorry it didn't come across to me that way. Considering the level of posting you are capable of, I don't really know what you want to do with those two posts, but it doesn't do you credit imho.

Latest Discussions