If you could learn one new system what would it be

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Call me a weeb if you will, but I'd really love to learn no-nonsense Ninjitsu.

Weeb.

I think most of us would. But unfortunately it is all nonsense. Capoeira is probably the closest you can get to anime fighting.

But yeah. A legitimate ninja school would be rad

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Been in karate for a year, but I do want to take up judo as well.

I've considered BJJ... as if I've got striking and stand-up grappling covered, then ground fighting would be the final piece of the puzzle.

I was listening to a Ramsey Dewey podcast, where he stated that there's enough ground fighting in judo to where a judo black belt is equal to a BJJ blue belt in ground fighting.

If that's the case, then I'd be happy with just karate and judo.

Nah. One of our girls ot fought a judo Olympian. The judo girl got her down but couldn't keep her there.

Rusty B

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Call me a weeb if you will, but I'd really love to learn no-nonsense Ninjitsu.

As long as you see it for what it is,
Weeb.

I think most of us would. But unfortunately it is all nonsense. Capoeira is probably the closest you can get to anime fighting.

But yeah. A legitimate ninja school would be rad

One could always join the military and go Army Special Special Forces, Navy SEALs, or Marine Corps Force Recon if they really want to learn the skills of what a ninja would be doing in the modern world.

But, of course... the kind of person who would, and the kind of person who would take ninjutsu are not of the same caliber.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was listening to a Ramsey Dewey podcast, where he stated that there's enough ground fighting in judo to where a judo black belt is equal to a BJJ blue belt in ground fighting.
There's a huge amount in variation to be found in Judo ground fighting skill, both at the school and the individual level.

There are Judo black belts who have newaza equal to a BJJ one-stripe white belt. There are Judo black belts who have newaza equal to a BJJ blue belt. There are Judo black belts who have newaza equal to a BJJ purple belt. There are Judo black belts who have newaza equal to a BJJ brown belt. There are even Judo black belts who have newaza equal to a BJJ black belt (although these are unusual).

The Judo black belt newaza = BJJ blue belt might hold as some sort of statistical average if you sampled enough Judoka, but I couldn't say for sure. Too many of my Judo friends have also trained BJJ, which makes it harder for me to see the statistical big picture. I will say that the specific newaza skills will typically be different. A Judoka who is skilled at groundwork will typically be good at top control, pinning, attacking the turtle, hunting for a very quick choke or armbar, and perhaps passing the guard if that can be done quickly. A BJJ practitioner will have a broader range of groundwork skills including sweeps and submissions from the guard, a wider range of guard passing options, setting up attacks that take longer, various submissions which are illegal in Judo competition (such as leglocks), and possibly using/defending against strikes on the ground.

Oni_Kadaki

Green Belt
Reaction score
As long as you see it for what it is,

One could always join the military and go Army Special Special Forces, Navy SEALs, or Marine Corps Force Recon if they really want to learn the skills of what a ninja would be doing in the modern world.

But, of course... the kind of person who would, and the kind of person who would take ninjutsu are not of the same caliber.

Tried that, actually... My first contract in the USAF was for Combat Control, the guys who go in with the SEALs, Special Forces, and other cool guys to guide in air strikes, supplies, ISR, and other air support. I lost the contract when my recruiter's special tactics liaison realized my eyesight didn't make the cut. But, long story short, I did attempt to go that route.

Nowadays I'm an Air Force cop, soon to be officer.