Would you?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ditto.

But seriously, Xue... if the style doesn't suit your abilities and temperment, it's not worth it. It's one thing to investigate a system that doesn't particularly appeal to you. But I can't see dropping everything else to study it in depth.

I'm not dropping anything the scenario presented was hypothetical. It was just something my demented little brain came up with yesterday morning while walking into work form my car. And it was loosely based on the Bagua thing I previously encountered, which I did not do due to the fact I simply did not want to learn more forms

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No.

For various reasons. But they're all pretty academic given that last one. I don't particularly like the style.

The End.
That's where I'd be, too...

Why waste the time on something I don't like?

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, but I find it amusing that 'liking' something should ever be considered criteria for studying a martial art?

'Sorry sensei...but I don't like kumite.' Better yet, 'I hate kata...do I have to learn it?'

Personally, I don't want to do kung li exercises, and have no interest in ancillary studies such as Feeding Crane (Kung Fu), and Bagua seems so boring, and the various sword arts leave me cold.

HOWEVER...that doesn't mean I don't see the value in learning them - to bring back to my core study.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sorry, but I find it amusing that 'liking' something should ever be considered criteria for studying a martial art?

'Sorry sensei...but I don't like kumite.' Better yet, 'I hate kata...do I have to learn it?'

Personally, I don't want to do kung li exercises, and have no interest in ancillary studies such as Feeding Crane (Kung Fu), and Bagua seems so boring, and the various sword arts leave me cold.

HOWEVER...that doesn't mean I don't see the value in learning them - to bring back to my core study.

This is along my lines of thinking, personally, and most especially because it was stated the art has an interesting history and is *quite effective.* I'd at least give it a shot. Who knows? Perhaps my perception could change.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not dropping anything the scenario presented was hypothetical... it was loosely based on the Bagua thing I previously encountered, which I did not do due to the fact I simply did not want to learn more forms.

I still wouldn't do it. Regarding forms: Some people have a great ability to quickly learn and remember sequences of movement. Professional dancers for example. People in the martial arts with such an ability often love to learn as many forms as they can. I do not have that ability. I once trained in a system with many complex forms, and I found that not only was I ill suited to learning such a large number of sets, but that the excessive emphasis on forms wasn't very helpful to me in terms of learning an effective art. Later I took up Wing Tsun and felt that it suited me far better. Different people learn differently. But knowing how I learn, I would never devote myself to a training system with many forms... regardless of the skill of the instructor.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I still wouldn't do it. Regarding forms: Some people have a great ability to quickly learn and remember sequences of movement. Professional dancers for example. People in the martial arts with such an ability often love to learn as many forms as they can. I do not have that ability. I once trained in a system with many complex forms, and I found that not only was I ill suited to learning such a large number of sets, but that the excessive emphasis on forms wasn't very helpful to me in terms of learning an effective art. Later I took up Wing Tsun and felt that it suited me far better. Different people learn differently. But knowing how I learn, I would never devote myself to a training system with many forms... regardless of the skill of the instructor.

I have known a few forms collectors a most (not all) are just that forms collectors but beyond that most (not all) know not much else.

Although I like taiji there are IMO to many forms in my flavor of Yang style (8) and although I do feel they are all important and they do have similarities, it is too many.

That is one of the reasons why I liked Xingyiquan.... there is generally not that many. 2 main forms and then depending on style various weapons forms. Although those 2 main forms can be broken up into 17 forms it is still not as complicated as the 8 I know in Yang style

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would. It wouldn't be a hard decision to make, but only because of where I live--there just aren't many choices.

If I had more choices, I likely still would. A good fighter and a good teacher is something I would find great value in. Even if I didn't like the style and I didn't like the instructor personally, I would probably take it as a challenge to learn to see past those things and find value.

Sometimes it's the things you don't like or don't understand that you have to gravitate towards, because they will stretch you into learning something you never would have if you'd stayed in your comfort zone. Just mind the cold prickly/warm fuzzy rule so you don't get yourself into trouble.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
And, here is the kicker; you really don’t much like the style. It is effective, it has has a long (and pretty cool) history, it is a great style in and of itself but it is simply not your style.

This is a deal-killer. I tend not to learn very well if I don't enjoy the material.

repz

Green Belt
Reaction score
When you said, "and you dont like the style", thats automatically a no-no.

It has to be fun for me, otherwise i wouldnt muster the energy to train.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Harlan,

I like what I do. That is why I started with FMA and staid with FMA. I do not like forms, but I study them and teach them. I do not like very high kicks to the head, but I respect them, and also train for myself to kick as high as reasonable which is my chest level or head/chin level on most people.

I do not like the teaching style of TKD. I do not study TKD. I have lots of friends who have studied and still teach TKD. Nothing wrong with the system if it fits your needs and likes.

The slippery slope your arguement leads to is that if people do not study an art for killing, as that is the ultimate in defense, which leads to weapons (* which a lot of systems do not cover *) which leads using ranged weapons and firearms which is a different approach. Which should lead to using weapons of mass destruction preemptively against people as I do not like it but it is the best defense in the end.

But, in the end if you like the teacher and like the system it would go along way to studying and paying for the lessons. If I do not like to do it, and it is not fun at some level then I know I will not continue it. I know most people do not have the commitment I have so if the average person is in it for fitness or basic selfdefense or keeping oneself moving they will move along to something else if they enjoy that more. It is human nature.

Making sacrafice is good and required, but the if there is choice between one that requires more than you are willing to give and another that fits which one do you think the average person is going to choose?

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not liking the art would be the kicker for me.
If I had the chance to get personal training from one of the Genbukan shihan I would take it immediately. Otoh, if the art itself would be something I don't like, and I have to drop the arts that I do like... what would be the point?

Liking an art has everything to do with it.
I like my art, and the things INSIDE that art which I may not always like are part of the package.

This discussion is about disliking an entire art. Why in the name of all that is good and holy would I want to practise an art that I don't like at any level?

Take boxing for example, or TKD. Both are fine arts in their own right, but I wouldn't want to actually practise them, even if I got trained by someone who is very good.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a question loosely based on something I ran into a few years back (very loosely based)

If a martial arts teacher that was VERY good at their style, was a good fighter, as well as a very good teacher that had a great lineage and they offered to train you for next to nothing would you train with them?

But wait, don’t answer yet

First you would need to stop training all other styles for 1 to 2 years to get the basics down but after that it would not really matter what else you wanted to train but even with that 1 to 2 years you would still have a lot to learn.

And, here is the kicker; you really don’t much like the style. It is effective, it has has a long (and pretty cool) history, it is a great style in and of itself but it is simply not your style.

Would you train with this teacher?

Not me. My goals in MA aren't to be the best, most effective or most knowledgeable martial artist around. Far from it. I am in this strictly because I enjoy the hell out of it. This isn't about edification for me. I'm in it to have fun.

So, it could be the best, most effective martial art ever, I won't train in it if I don't enjoy it.

This would pretty much be my answer too.

geezer said:
I still wouldn't do it. Regarding forms: Some people have a great ability to quickly learn and remember sequences of movement. Professional dancers for example. People in the martial arts with such an ability often love to learn as many forms as they can

Like me. I do have this ability. actually when i first started out in MA for the very first time (in the kenpo school) and we were doing kata. being new to ma, i didnt even know anything about kata. what it was, what it was for. The BB teaching me said after that 'most people can remember only about 2 or 3 movements in sequence, you got 6 or 7. thats great!' I long remembered that. Even now, doing my yellow belt kata, heian nidan (i'm almost yellow waiting now for my test) I know the kata already. While the other white belts dont. Not being cocky, just honest! :( It doesnt take me long to learn sequences of movement. and to long remember them. My sensei had to literally tell me to stop when i jumped ahead in my training and learned heian nidan. he said 'you cant chase 2 rabbits' He's right, but thats just me. I love kata! and want to learn them all! I cant wait!

Last edited: