Would you?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have a question loosely based on something I ran into a few years back (very loosely based)

If a martial arts teacher that was VERY good at their style, was a good fighter, as well as a very good teacher that had a great lineage and they offered to train you for next to nothing would you train with them?

But wait, don’t answer yet

First you would need to stop training all other styles for 1 to 2 years to get the basics down but after that it would not really matter what else you wanted to train but even with that 1 to 2 years you would still have a lot to learn.

And, here is the kicker; you really don’t much like the style. It is effective, it has has a long (and pretty cool) history, it is a great style in and of itself but it is simply not your style.

Would you train with this teacher?

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At my current state in MA yes, I probably would. A few years ago (say 15 or so) no, I probably would not have.

This sounds very intriguing actually.. What system was it?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Before answering, I would need to have an extremely good reason as to justify cessation of training in all other styles for two years. No, to get the basics down is not an extremely good reason for me at this point in my life, as I have teaching duties in two other styles.

Saying that I would be moving to his/her studio located in a remote region of Japan to live and train would be an extremely good reason, though I would have to put a great deal of consideration into whether or not such a move would be feasible. If that were the case, and I could work out the details, I would consider that a good reason and may decide that the opportunity to live abroad and train in this art that isn't "my art" would be worth it for that reason.

Daniel

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are schools that bar you from training in other styles (Hwa Rang Do if I remember correctly is one). Personally, my answer would be a no. From your clause "it being a style you don't much like" what came into my head is CMA which for whatever reason just never appealed to me. The thought of giving up JMA for 2 years just because of an effective teacher is a bit of a stretch since there are many effective teachers of whatever style you may like. You just have to look.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not me. My goals in MA aren't to be the best, most effective or most knowledgeable martial artist around. Far from it. I am in this strictly because I enjoy the hell out of it. This isn't about edification for me. I'm in it to have fun.

So, it could be the best, most effective martial art ever, I won't train in it if I don't enjoy it.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No. I shouldn't require to stop training in my current style to embark on the basics of another, especially if I don't like it. Though I'm curious why one wouldn't like something effective, but then that's just me.

Further, I'd think the whole idea that I MUST give up training anything else but that for a minimum of two years is a crock and I'd question the teacher's ability and/or ego.

I think timing in opportunity probably matters a bit, but weighing pros and cons, I have to say generally 'no.'

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
At my current state in MA yes, I probably would. A few years ago (say 15 or so) no, I probably would not have.

This sounds very intriguing actually.. What system was it?

Like I said it was loosely based and this is purely hypothetical. I just had this thought while walking into work this morning form my parking lot.

It was Bagua, and I like Bagua, so it was not so much that I did not like the style as it was I just did not want to have to go through learning and remembering more forms. At that time I was doing Yang and Chen Taijiquan, working on Xingyiquan and thinking about a return to Wing Chun. So I did not do it. But there are styles I am not all to fond of and I have meant teachers over the years that are very good at that style that I do not think I would go train with if they made me this offer.

Before answering, I would need to have an extremely good reason as to justify cessation of training in all other styles for two years. No, to get the basics down is not an extremely good reason for me at this point in my life, as I have teaching duties in two other styles.

Saying that I would be moving to his/her studio located in a remote region of Japan to live and train would be an extremely good reason, though I would have to put a great deal of consideration into whether or not such a move would be feasible. If that were the case, and I could work out the details, I would consider that a good reason and may decide that the opportunity to live abroad and train in this art that isn't "my art" would be worth it for that reason.

Daniel

No travel to foriegn lands is involved and it sounds as if you like Japanese styles so this may not apply at all.

As to the basics bit, HEY!!! I come from ICMA :D

Actually that part would not apply to all styles and generally it would not be applied to a style you have been training for many years already. But I can tell you from experience that I did not start understanding Taiji and how it is suppose to work until I stopped thinking about it form my TKD and Jujitsu background and then later stopped Wing Chun.

And now due to my Taiji and now Xingyi background I can no longer do Wing Chun apps, (I tried not to long ago), they all come out Taiji or Xingyi. If I wanted to go back to Wing Chun I would have to stop Taiji and Xingyi IMO.

There are schools that bar you from training in other styles (Hwa Rang Do if I remember correctly is one). Personally, my answer would be a no. From your clause "it being a style you don't much like" what came into my head is CMA which for whatever reason just never appealed to me.

but…but…CMA always spoke very highly of you :D

The thought of giving up JMA for 2 years just because of an effective teacher is a bit of a stretch since there are many effective teachers of whatever style you may like. You just have to look.

That would depend on where you were, if it is NYC you are right. If it is in the wilds of upstate NY (real upstate, Adirondack upstate – not Westchester county :D) then that is generally not the case.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not me. My goals in MA aren't to be the best, most effective or most knowledgeable martial artist around. Far from it. I am in this strictly because I enjoy the hell out of it. This isn't about edification for me. I'm in it to have fun.

So, it could be the best, most effective martial art ever, I won't train in it if I don't enjoy it.

Thanks I agree

But a bit of a redirection here... I did not say it was the best just that he/she was very good at it and it was effective

No. I shouldn't require to stop training in my current style to embark on the basics of another, especially if I don't like it. Though I'm curious why one wouldn't like something effective, but then that's just me.

Further, I'd think the whole idea that I MUST give up training anything else but that for a minimum of two years is a crock and I'd question the teacher's ability and/or ego.

I think timing in opportunity probably matters a bit, but weighing pros and cons, I have to say generally 'no.'

Thanks

There seems to be an issue with the stopping what you are doing here, not just from Shesulsa. Forgive me, I come from mostly Internal Chinese Martial Arts with some External CMA and it is not all that uncommon a request and it is not ego it is practicality. My Taiji sifu asked me to stop training everthing else for a bit (and when I did I discovered things made more sense) and it was not ego and even my Sanda sifu asked me to make a choice between Xingyiquan and Sanda since he did not understand how anyone could be new at 2 styles and do either one justice when it comes to learning.

So lets me remove that bit completely so we can get by that

Sorry but I think we need a CHANGE IN PLAN

Now it is

If a martial arts teacher that was VERY good at their style, was a good fighter, as well as a very good teacher that had a great lineage and they offered to train you for next to nothing would you train with them?

And, here is the kicker; you really don’t much like the style. It is effective, it has has a long (and pretty cool) history, it is a great style in and of itself but it is simply not your style.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Sure. :) Why not?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks I agree

But a bit of a redirection here... I did not say it was the best just that he/she was very good at it and it was effective

Thanks

There seems to be an issue with the stopping what you are doing here, not just from Shesulsa. Forgive me, I come from mostly Internal Chinese Martial Arts with some External CMA and it is not all that uncommon a request and it is not ego it is practicality. My Taiji sifu asked me to stop training everthing else for a bit (and when I did I discovered things made more sense) and it was not ego and even my Sanda sifu asked me to make a choice between Xingyiquan and Sanda since he did not understand how anyone could be new at 2 styles and do either one justice when it comes to learning.
Now, I would consider that a good reason.

I stated whether or not I would personally, however, based on the fact that I have teaching obligations in two other styles, thus such a request would be impossible for me.

Were I relatively new to training in two separate arts, focusing on one and putting the other aside until later is perfectly reasonable.

So lets me remove that bit completely so we can get by that

Sorry but I think we need a CHANGE IN PLAN

Now it is

Hmmm. I was really hoping for that move to a remote region of Japan (or China or Korea) and live with the master, but I guess that was not part of the equation. Bummer.

Due to time constraints in my present life, probably. I simply do not have the time another commitment of that nature.

If I had the time? Absolutely.

Daniel

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a question loosely based on something I ran into a few years back (very loosely based)

First you would need to stop training all other styles for 1 to 2 years to get the basics down but after that it would not really matter what else you wanted to train but even with that 1 to 2 years you would still have a lot to learn.

If it is an issue of not being my style I might consider it.

If it is an issue I do like nor enjoy the style then I would not. End of story. If I do not like it I would not do another system or style.

Now if it was an issue of just being different and the teacher was really nice person and I could learn from them and I had the time and money, I would train.

The Stop training in another system or style is a problem though. If I was total beginner, I can see this comment. But at this point in my training I think I can still approach it open minded and do it their way to learn. So if I had to stop all other training, I would most likely not do it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Xue,

I guest first of all, I'd need to examine how happy I was with the training I was already getting. If I'm happy with it and I have confidence in my teachers and I'm getting high quality instruction, there's little reason to go elsewhere even if the other teacher is tops.

Also, given that it's a system that doesn't appeal to me, I'd probably say No anyway. I'm personally not interested in Brazilian Jujistu for example. If Royce Gracie moved in next door to me and set up a training hall and offered to let me train for free, I still wouldn't go train with him.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Style doesn't matter as much as teacher.

Bad teacher + bad style = waste of time.
Bad teacher + good style = look elsewhere.
Good teacher + bad style = has potential.
Good teacher + good style = ideal.

Good teacher makes the difference.

Answer: yes.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
No , I wouldnt. If my current instructor was losing passion for what he does or if I was feeling apathetic about my current art I would probably look into it, but if it was an art I did not like I would probably not bother anyway. I love my current school and my instructor is the best Ive ever had so in my current situation there is no reason for me to really look at training elsewhere.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thanks all

I have no idea why this question popped into my demented little noggin yesterday but it did.

My answer would also like be I would not train it... but then I am not 100% sure about that. It could be that I simply do not understand the style and that training it I may fall in love with it. Or it could be that I discover why I disliked it in the first place.

I have often wondered what would have happened if I took the guys offer to teach me Bagua, but then I like Bagua so it is not the same thing. I just had no desire to learn anymore forms. But there is always the possibility that I could contact him again later, I know where he is and where he teaches and I have since found out his Sifu is out of Beijing and REALLY into the fighting applications of Bagua.,, and my yearly trips to Beijing will be starting wihtin the next couple of years :EG: but if I trained Bagua I would most definitely have to give something up... there is just not enough time in a day to do it all... But that would be stuff of another post.

Again thanks
Xue

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Life is too short to do things you don't like.

Ditto.

There, you see! ... I knew that if I kept reading Big Don's posts, eventually I'd find one that I totally agreed with... and Hell hasn't even frozen over yet!

But seriously, Xue... if the style doesn't suit your abilities and temperment, it's not worth it. It's one thing to investigate a system that doesn't particularly appeal to you. But I can't see dropping everything else to study it in depth.

Latest Discussions