Any effective boxing drills you know of?

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Specifically for punching power? If so, does it apply to all punches or only for specific punches?

For general strength, I am confident I got it covered. But right now, I'm looking for boxing-specific movements that'll boost my punching power. Something to do in a normal gym since my nearby boxing gym is still closed due to the masking pandemic...

Thanks.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Specifically for punching power? If so, does it apply to all punches or only for specific punches?

For general strength, I am confident I got it covered. But right now, I'm looking for boxing-specific movements that'll boost my punching power. Something to do in a normal gym since my nearby boxing gym is still closed due to the masking pandemic...

Thanks.

Why don't you just go to a boxing gym and learn from a coach?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Thanks.
well punching things seems to be the way to go, that what they tend to do in boxing gyms

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
well punching things seems to be the way to go, that what they tend to do in boxing gyms

I expected this to be one of the answers, honestly. And honestly, I agree with it... To a degree. I come from a line of thinking where there has to be some kind of resistance to fight against as you go through the motion of punching. So maybe like, trunk-twisting drills?

I mean, punching a heavy bag with good technique, over and over, with full and semi-full effort may be enough, but I'm looking for an edge, honestly.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I expected this to be one of the answers, honestly. And honestly, I agree with it... To a degree. I come from a line of thinking where there has to be some kind of resistance to fight against as you go through the motion of punching. So maybe like, trunk-twisting drills?

I mean, punching a heavy bag with good technique, over and over, with full and semi-full effort may be enough, but I'm looking for an edge, honestly.
you need basic technique before you get an edge, start hitting things and your technique will self adjust, thats allowing that its any where near right to start off with, which means you've drooped the whole arm punches only rubbish other wise im wasting my time AGAIN

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you need basic technique before you get an edge, start hitting things and your technique will self adjust, thats allowing that its any where near right to start off with, which means you've drooped the whole arm punches only rubbish other wise im wasting my time AGAIN
Surely you've noticed the pattern by now?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i suspect ive been sucked into a conversation and he will start telling me im talking rubbish and quote manga at me
And some BS about how he's strong and that beats everything so he doesn't really need instruction but, by the way, could you please help teach him?

D

Deleted member 39746

Just punch a heavy bag, that tends to work. And just do combos when you punch it.

Also, of course they arent going to be open in some areas, suggesting somone go when they have been shut (and plenty still are shut) for the last 6 months is sort of silly.

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What does this mean?
While practicing a punch or kick, on a bag plant your strike on a heavy bag, and push the bag away from you.

It helps with correct alignment and strengthing and isolates the muscles needed for a strike.

You can practice speed with this as well, but I would start off slowly, you are basically pushing through, instead of returning the strike.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While practicing a punch or kick, on a bag plant your strike on a heavy bag, and push the bag away from you.

It helps with correct alignment and strengthing and isolates the muscles needed for a strike.

You can practice speed with this as well, but I would start off slowly, you are basically pushing through, instead of returning the strike.

I don't mean to argue but isn't this counter-intuitive considering how boxing trainers emphasize that punching is a SNAPPING motion and not a PUSHING motion? I don't know any better, of course, but I've read about it before. Or is there something I'm missing with what you said?

Graywalker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't mean to argue but isn't this counter-intuitive considering how boxing trainers emphasize that punching is a SNAPPING motion and not a PUSHING motion? I don't know any better, of course, but I've read about it before. Or is there something I'm missing with what you said?
Sure, but you are looking for power, I agree with the return, but in boxing you are not pulling people into you, so strength there, is minimal.
The plant and push, will show you how important your, grounding, rotating, thrusting and coordinated body motion is in relation to power.

But it is simply a drill, you lift weights, why is more weight on the bar important.

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But it is simply a drill, you lift weights, why is more weight on the bar important.

More weights on the barbell on key movements will build general strength. Undoubtedly, unless you put the effort to refine the strength gains you acquire through lifting, it's never gonna carry over to punching power. But barbell lifting will build general strength, like adding clay to a sculpture before shaping it.

But what you suggested seems to help me with just that very issue. Thanks.

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
i suspect ive been sucked into a conversation and he will start telling me im talking rubbish and quote manga at me
And then tell you how you’ll soon be awestruck by his hypothetical skills when he actually starts training

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
And some BS about how he's strong and that beats everything so he doesn't really need instruction but, by the way, could you please help teach him?
Yep already said he isn’t going to listen to a coach anyway

KOKarate

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just punch a heavy bag, that tends to work. And just do combos when you punch it.

Also, of course they arent going to be open in some areas, suggesting somone go when they have been shut (and plenty still are shut) for the last 6 months is sort of silly.
There are also plenty of gyms that are open to. Or there’s online zoom classes or there’s outdoor sessions. Plenty of opportunities around if you actually look around for it. This pandemic is a good excuse for the lazy not to train but to say they would if they could

OP
Bee Brian

Bee Brian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are also plenty of gyms that are open to. Or there’s online zoom classes or there’s outdoor sessions. Plenty of opportunities around if you actually look around for it. This pandemic is a good excuse for the lazy not to train but to say they would if they could

HEY EXCUSE ME! I've been doing squats every single day and clean-pulls three days a week, plus lots of upper-body lifting. And even cardio! And you calling me lazy??

Latest Discussions