Human Weapon Show on History Channel

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The 'champions' that the hosts are fighting in each episode must be dialing it down some for the benefit of the hosts, right? I don't think it makes the respective martial arts look very good that someone can come in and train for just a few weeks and then hold their own against these champions. I'm still watching and enjoying the show, but that part kind of irks me a little.

I'm also surprised by some of the comments by the hosts. Keep in mind that there is probably a lot more footage and the editors likely take the best stuff. Imagine what quotes may be on the cutting room floor!

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
“Imagine what quotes may be on the cutting room floor!”

LOL I hadn’t thought of that. I am now thinking that a blooper reel would not only be very entertaining but a hot seller as well.

These segments have different producers and consultants and like many things relating to martial arts system politics did unfortunately get involved. This is why some segments will be better even much better than others. I have heard good things about the Judo and the Sambo segments, but no one really knows until it airs.

Brian King

seninoniwashi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have heard good things about the Judo and the Sambo segments, but no one really knows until it airs.

Brian King

Yeah, I'm really excited about the judo episode, I'm hoping it'll be good ~crosses fingers

I think it will be fun watching Bill's big body get tossed around. Did you see how upset he got when that little savate guy tripped him - he did a good job keeping him composure though afterwards

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Show Must Be Destroyed.

I hope the show does not destroy the History Channel. I mean at one time there were music channels that played videos, and not they only play reality shows. I even saw where one network launched its' own reality channel.

Ice Road Truckers which was originally a nice one off by the history channel about the history of the truckers and the road. Now it is also a reality show. I am concerned we (* as in society *) could loose a channel that spreads knowledge for entertainment of the least common denominator. (* My opinion *)

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
I hope the show does not destroy the History Channel. I mean at one time there were music channels that played videos, and not they only play reality shows. I even saw where one network launched its' own reality channel.

Ice Road Truckers which was originally a nice one off by the history channel about the history of the truckers and the road. Now it is also a reality show. I am concerned we (* as in society *) could loose a channel that spreads knowledge for entertainment of the least common denominator. (* My opinion *)

And that is one of the main reasons WHY The Show Must Be Destroyed.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Rep Gnomes forbid me from buffing Letch a little for his earlier Post#15 so here's a public commendation instead :rei:.

I dimly recall in my empty-hand days having just such a high opinion of my skill level at a very early stage in my training :eek:.

I think it's because the opening parts of training are all about getting some of the gross physical moves learned correctly, so you feel like you've made huge strides in a short time and don't realise that, like an iceberg, most of what there is to learn you haven't seen yet :D.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Rich this is always something to be concerned about! Personally I would like to see a show done on a Martial System ie. Balintawak, etc. Where they just interview the Senior Teachers and then let them do their thing. Without a host trying to act cool, touch, flashy, etc. That is what I like to see.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich this is always something to be concerned about! Personally I would like to see a show done on a Martial System ie. Balintawak, etc. Where they just interview the Senior Teachers and then let them do their thing. Without a host trying to act cool, touch, flashy, etc. That is what I like to see.

that would be an improvement that is for sure.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
i watched a repeat episode last night on escrima and the hosts were saying that they understand the techn iuqe when it was sloppy and the did not know the bunki and meanings of the techniuqe to the fullest

Bumblebee

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think this show is great. The only thing that I don't really care for is the fights at the end. Everyone that I talked to hates the fights at the end. I think the part of the show that really shines is the history and breakdown of certain techniques within the martial art. This show must be destroyed? C'mon at least it's not American Idol, now THAT's a show that needs to be destroyed. I don't think that this show will destroy the History Channel, if anything I find Human Weapon a fine addition to their lineup of shows. I hope the show succeeds.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this show is great. The only thing that I don't really care for is the fights at the end. Everyone that I talked to hates the fights at the end. I think the part of the show that really shines is the history and breakdown of certain techniques within the martial art. This show must be destroyed? C'mon at least it's not American Idol, now THAT's a show that needs to be destroyed. I don't think that this show will destroy the History Channel, if anything I find Human Weapon a fine addition to their lineup of shows. I hope the show succeeds.

well it is a step above amarican idol....
The fight has to go.. no question.. and well the hosts or their egos need to go too.. that is the minumum to really give the show a chance of becomeing the quality the history channel has traditionaly had.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
well just did happen to see an add on history chanal, they say they will be looking at Krav Maga.. be interesting to see how they aproch what is basicly a "troop style" in that it was developed and intended to be tought quickly to conscripts and police to give them a chance in hand to hand combat on the battlefeild and or street in a minumum of time...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The 'champions' that the hosts are fighting in each episode must be dialing it down some for the benefit of the hosts, right?

That is my thinking as well...There wouldn't be much of a show if the Champions fought at full power...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Pankration episode is terrible I think. I can't be sure because I fell asleep after the part where they were talking about reviving the lost art from looking at pictures on pottery, and discussing the "battlefield precursor art" puh-lease.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Pankration episode is terrible I think. I can't be sure because I fell asleep after the part where they were talking about reviving the lost art from looking at pictures on pottery, and discussing the "battlefield precursor art" puh-lease.
Yeah... I'm tired of all the "reviving" crap.

Modern Pancration was reinvented, combining wrestling, Judo, Boxing or Kickboxing, and some form of Karate or TKD. (Anyone else notice that the "pancration champion's" gym was a Tang Soo Do school?) No problem with that... but it's not "revived." It's recreated. Admit it, and be done with it.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah... I'm tired of all the "reviving" crap.

Modern Pancration was reinvented, combining wrestling, Judo, Boxing or Kickboxing, and some form of Karate or TKD. (Anyone else notice that the "pancration champion's" gym was a Tang Soo Do school?) No problem with that... but it's not "revived." It's recreated. Admit it, and be done with it.
Great point I also had some issues with the way they prestented modern pankration. I think another problem with this show is the lack of factual knowledge they are presenting. I think that sometimes rather than do any research they just take whomevers word for it

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wonder which ATA school they will choose to shoot the Krav Maga episode LOL

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
On in Israel apparently. Good episode. What I loved was with all the MMA chest thumping, when faced with an attacker with a knife and intent to kill, his years of training were useless. Sad day for what many belive is the "Ultimate Martial Art" Good ep all around.

Latest Discussions