Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kirk said:
Last night I showed a friend of mine some of the stuff I've been
taught since I started kenpo 9 months ago. It was big time
awkward, because he's taller than I am, and it made me realize
how I was the tallest guy in my class. So now I'm curious as to
how tall m.a. types are. I'm 6 ft, which is SUPPOSEDLY average.
It makes me wonder why everyone in my class is short!
For this to be meaningful, you probably should have asked for more information for correlation; like, at least, age and sex.

But when you're done, you'd have the data only for martialtalk.com users who care to answer your poll. I don't know that that is random enough selection to draw conclusions for martial artists in general (assuming all martialtalk.com users are martial artists).

OP
J

jjmcc

i dont understand the point of the question everyone is different being it size weight experience we r all different because someone is over 6ft does that give them some devine right to study martial arts nonsense

i guess all of us under 6ft better start singing the umpa lumpa song and hope for a part in the new willy wonka movie.

Grubic

White Belt
Reaction score
6'7" 240lbs. I've been 6'7" since I was 17 years old. Have just been filling out since then :)

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
Ehem... 6'6", around around 380+ lbs.

*blink*

You didn't think I got this nickname for having antlers, did ya? :D
God damn it man! I sure to hell hope that I can run faster than you...

asangria

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm 5'8" and unfortunately will never grow any taller but wider. My class is roughly the same height except for the occassionaly tall one over 6'. I enjoy sparring with them more since I feel I have a better opportunity to really try things I wouldn't with someone the same height.

The only drawback is the arm reach. Mine are definetely at a disadvantage against the taller students.

OP
C

CountPike

Im 5'4 but probably with about 6-8 years of growing left to do. Me dad is 6'1 heh.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am 6' 2" and about 200lbs. People in my class range from one asain guy who is around 5' 6" and probably 155 or so to one guy who is about 6' 4" and I would guess about 290. It is very interesting to do tchniques on the small guy and then try to do the same ones on the big guy. I think it is good to have the variety though, as you never know how big your attacker may be.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
its really go od to get a varity of people to train with...

i have trained with just about every size of person you can think of and the only thing that really changes with each, is how much they are afraid i am going to hurt them. in witch all actuallity, there is little pain involved, if not none.

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
i'm 6'2" 180 lbs there are two people who are taller than me ones around 6'6" 240 lbs and the other is 6'4" 210 lbs my instructor is about 6 feet tall

OP
T

traz

I'm 5'2 135 pounds. I'm short, but quite built, the weight is muscle. I'm 18, so its not like I'm a kid :p

OP
D

Drifter

I'm 5'9" and 150 lbs, which is short compared to some of the 6'+ people in my class. I've taken the strategy of just charging in during sparring, and have done pretty well with it recently.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm 5' 6" tall. Starting out, I hated being shorter than most of the guys I trained with. The better I got, it didn't bother me as much. Now, I'm used to my height. I have the flexability to kick a guy who is 6'6" in the head, if I needed to. Weighing 185 lbs. and being shorter than most also makes it harder for the taller guys to throw me.