Do people outside of martial arts respect you skill?

S

SolidTiger

The reason why I ask this question is because I wonder how people respect your ability, because some people think martial
arts is bull. I know because I ran into a couple, and their mostly
cowards because they know I do martial arts but they won't never test me. I guest because of a deep fear of what they don't
understand. They only know what they see on tv about martial
arts, and so they are ignorant to you skill. So it's always been a
kind of respect their always for me.

Thank You

SolidTiger

OP
K

Kirk

For me personally, my closest friends all of the sudden act like
I can bend steel with my pinky. We used to always joke with
each other and say things like, "I'll kick your ***" without ever
knowing who could kick who's. Now they say "okay, I can't do
anything about that, since you "know"
kenpo. :confused: (9 months total training).

Of if I'm driving, and someone cuts me off, or does some similar
boneheaded manuever, my buddy will get ticked and go "he'd
better watch it, or you'll kenpo his ***" :shrug:

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by Kirk

For me personally, my closest friends all of the sudden act like
I can bend steel with my pinky. We used to always joke with
each other and say things like, "I'll kick your ***" without ever
knowing who could kick who's. Now they say "okay, I can't do
anything about that, since you "know"
kenpo. :confused: (9 months total training).

Of if I'm driving, and someone cuts me off, or does some similar
boneheaded manuever, my buddy will get ticked and go "he'd
better watch it, or you'll kenpo his ***" :shrug:

that's not good especially once they see how bad you actually are. Then they'll never repsect you.

OP
S

SolidTiger

I really don't care if they think I could bend steel, but I know for
a fact I could defend myself if I had to. I mean the people who do
martial arts do not have the same type of fear as people who only
know what they see on tv.

Thank You

SolidTiger

" Don't watch to much cartoons"

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by SolidTiger

I really don't care if they think I could bend steel, but I know for
a fact I could defend myself if I had to. I mean the people who do
martial arts do not have the same type of fear as people who only
know what they see on tv.

Thank You

SolidTiger

" Don't watch to much cartoons"

Hmmm, can you expand on this? How do you KNOW you can,
unless you have an actual altercation? People who do martial
arts still have to have an significant amount of training before
what they've learned can be effective, don't they? I can hit a
bag, and work technique lines all day long, but that doesn't
give me any confidence that I'll be able to defend myself
attiquately.

OP
E

Eraser

Hey....

I know that my friends think that Its awesome that im involved in MA... my parentss.. especially my Mother.. is my biggest supporter.. (thanks MOM :asian: )
My best friends husband now takes the same classes that I do..
The only trouble maker.. if you can call him that is my brother-in-Law... who always tries to get me to retaliate when he starts bugging me.. but i always tell him he's not worth the mental effort.. that always seems to work!!!

Nothing negative over her in my part of the woods...
its all cool!!:cool:

OP
S

SolidTiger

I know I can defend myself because I've taken six years of kungfu and the art of self defense. I know how to move really
good, I can move like a animal from my kung fu training. I've
taken two years of kenpo, and from kenpo I learned more self defense and how to protect myself, I know how to counter a lot
of crap people throw. I mean to defeat me you can't be no rookie.

Thank You

SolidTiger

" I wish only what can be done"

OP
S

Shinzu

people will often respect you more by the way you carry yourself. not by telling them how much you know or by making silly bruce lee noises.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The most "trouble" I had as far as people "testing" me was my best friend's kid (who's 16) didn't believe that I could kick him in the head LOL. After enough "bugging" from him, I casually bonked him on the side of the head lightly, and sat back down to watch TV LOL. He never bugged me since LOL ;)

I was attacked in AC, NJ, but that don't count. The jurk didn't know I knew MA. I just kicked his *** LOL. It wasn't funny then, but it is now :rofl:

OP
S

SolidTiger

I'm talking about testing you like coming at you with a punch
or weapon. No one ever tested me like that, and I'm short but
in real good shape....

Thank You

SolidTiger

" Be like water soft and hard"

OP
L

LanceWildcat1

A few do, some don't. The one's who don't, I am not worried about. If I need the 'arts', they're there. Some friends and other student's know that I study martial arts, but they don't make a big deal out of it. I look at it this way: I got into the 'arts' to help build my body after a devastating illness and to learn some defensive/offensive arts. I do study the 'arts', and what someone else thinks of it is of little consequence to me one way or the other. :cool:

OP
S

SolidTiger

I always keep my guard wherever I am, because I can't predict
the future. I don't won't to turn my back on no one I feel threated
by. When we ignor a situation the situation could turn bad without you knowing, and you will be open to attack when you
turn your back...

Thank You

SolidTiger

"look with the eyes in front of your face"

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AS I've said in other posts I used to walk to work through the middle of some gang territoy and actualy on the border of three major warring gangs, each day. I only had to defend myslef a couple of times once against a hopped up meth freak, the other on a basketball (jungle ball) court. Anything went in that game and someone got ticked because I didn't cower in fear when he charged me.
Some of the gangs would be warring and shotting anything that moved in their area , but they left me alone. Sitting over a few (ok a lot ) of beers one day one of the gang members told me I had a rep on the streets because of the way I walked and the way I made eye contact, and what my body and eyes said. I had never been told this befor and it caught me off guard but other told me the same thing later.
Ok, not bragging, just trying to make a point. you don't have to fight or strut with a macho swager to impress people . I've seen people that I knew where bad juju to mess with and they where not even paying attention to anyone that was not at their table they just radiated that something.

now as to how others feel about my martial arts study I dont usualy bring up the subject to strangers and those that know me , well I'm as impressed with some of the stuff they can do. We all have something we are good and like to be known for. Me I like to be know for being friendly and fair in my treatment of other people

Shadow:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An after thought

Sometimes being a martial artest is knowing when to smile or say good mornig. Knowing when tokeep calmly walking and how to nod to reconise those arount you.
When someone cuts you off on the highway remembering you know "karate" and remembering they may know 45, 9mm, ak.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Who cares? I go out of my way to avoid the topic altogether with people I know aren't training...

First, I could talk for hours about this stuff, and second, they don't understand the obsession anyway.

So to be polite, I steer clear of the topic entirely.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tshadowchaser

An after thought

Sometimes being a martial artest is knowing when to smile or say good mornig. Knowing when tokeep calmly walking and how to nod to reconise those arount you.
When someone cuts you off on the highway remembering you know "karate" and remembering they may know 45, 9mm, ak.

A great point Shadow,

When I meet people and just give them the respect head nod, this goes a long way to get you going where you want to go. Confidence is good, and respect of others. Wow neat concepts, that I like.

Have a nice day

Rich

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1

Who cares? I go out of my way to avoid the topic altogether with people I know aren't training...

First, I could talk for hours about this stuff, and second, they don't understand the obsession anyway.

So to be polite, I steer clear of the topic entirely.

Good post Yiliquan1,

I even tell new students, to NOT tell anyone that they have started to train in a martial art. Some people get all stupid and want to test you. Others think that you have some new secret. It is not worth the conflict.

If the subject comes up, I do not lie nor do I deny that I train or teach, but I do not make it public knowledge. Point in fact, the other day my Dad asked what rank was I? He came to my Brown and first Black test, but after that he just knew 'I have been training for a long time'. His words not mine.

If the knowledge is not common public knowledge then that removes the target from you. :)

Have a nice day and good replies

Rich
:asian:

OP
S

SolidTiger

What if you can't avoid it, you have to act or you will end up
the one hurt. So that's why I take threats serious, somebody
say their going to do something to me I get ready for it, and
whatever I have to do I do it. I mean I've been threaten but
never attacked.

Thank you

SolidTiger

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
...getting ready to train with RyuShiKan, and some guy walked up to us and asked me what "art" I studied...

I said sculpture, and sometimes painting. Then I tried to walk away.

Usually when folks ask that kind of question, they are either interested in training, or just asking to be asking. Either way, my answer will serve little real purpose.

If they want to train, they will come out and say so, or follow us and watch for a while.

If they are just asking to be asking, then no matter what I say, they will go away in a moment or two anyway...

:samurai: :samurai:

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that people who don't take martial arts can actually respect the arts. Now I'm not saying all people just some. Most of the people I know are like "wow, you do karate? That's so cool. I bet you can kick my butt." They are always trying to get me to fight them or something, especially my older brother and his friends. We always used to wrestle and now instead of me getting into those sticky situations and getting my face in the ground they are. But other than that, I don't see where I have to prove myself to anyone. If they want to see me do something they are more than welcomed to come to the dojo and watch and sometimes participate. If they think it's cool that's all good, if not, then they can tease and whatever else, but I know what I am and am not capable of doing. Sometimes though my Sensei has more confidence in my ability than I do so I have to get a nudge.