How do you rate this jeans and boots roundhouse kick?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Something I've said in both management and MA training:

"There are absolutely no absolutes. Including this one."
Are you saying that "There are no absolutes" isn't an absolute? If that's so, then that would mean that there are absolutes?

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ham having a lot of success with a quick stabby front kick. Rather than trying to push the guy too much.

I almost don't even chamber it much. Just snap it up and dig my big toe in to their liver.

I have dropped people with it.
I'm still working to build my speed back up to have some real power in it. I was pretty good with it once upon a time, but I got away from using kicks for a long time. Kinda rediscovered them when I got back to teaching after we moved here.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A: You should love your parents.
B: It depends.
A: You should be honest to your friend.
B: It also depends.
A: You should not kill.
B: It still depends.
A: ...
B: ...

Sometime "no absolute" means you just want to be "grey".
Life is rarely black and white. And getting back to MA, I teach advanced students (in my base art) how to find the stuff I refer to as "in the grey area between Techniques" (the capitalized Technique refers to the formal curriculum in NGA).

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm still working to build my speed back up to have some real power in it. I was pretty good with it once upon a time, but I got away from using kicks for a long time. Kinda rediscovered them when I got back to teaching after we moved here.
That sounds like my complete plan for 2021. Rediscover. Take a look a t some new and old things with a new set of eyes.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It sorta does. There's just a mile long of if else statements for each decision, and how those statements are interpreted/what they are depends on the individual.
Me and this conversation lol
upload_2021-3-13_16-22-54.png

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It sorta does. There's just a mile long of if else statements for each decision, and how those statements are interpreted/what they are depends on the individual.
You are right!

If A then ...
else
If B then ...
else
If C then ...

The else part can have many If in it. No matter how complicate a thing can be, you can always isolate it down to a small "absolute" set.

A: Do you like the blue color?
B: I like blue color.
C: I only like blue color 75%.
D: I only like blue color 50%.
E: I only like blue color 25%.
F: I don't like blue color.

I can understand B and F. I just can't understand C, D. and E.

When someone said, "There are fine people on both sides." I truly don't understand what he was talking about.

In theory, there should be no bad people in heaven, and no good people in hell.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are right!

If A then ...
else
If B then ...
else
If C then ...

The else part can have many If in it. No matter how complicate a thing can be, you can always isolate it down to a small "absolute" set.

A: Do you like the blue color?
B: I like blue color.
C: I only like blue color 75%.
D: I only like blue color 50%.
E: I only like blue color 25%.
F: I don't like blue color.

I can understand B and F. I just can't understand C, D. and E.

When someone said, "There are fine people on both sides." I truly don't understand what he was talking about.

I can understand liking something 75% or liking something 25%

I like wearing heavy coats. 50% Here's why. If I ask you this question when the temperature is below freezing, then you are going to really enjoy your coat. It will be your best friend and you will like it 100% If I ask you this question when the temperature is really hot, you will like it less.

To prove it. You would only need to wear a heavy coat year round everyday. There will be days that you like that you have it and days where you like it less and you wish you could get rid of it. So ultimately, The question would be. Do you like heavy coats? If you can only choose YES or NO. If you choose No, then I won't give you a heavy coat when it gets freezing cold. If you say yes, then you cannot take the coat off. Computers can be binary because they do not analyze or interpret the concept of liking someone or something. Liking something or not liking something is a "life component" that is not binary.

Choosing when you put on a coat and when you take off a coat is Binary. You can program that. What you can't program is. "I like Wang or I don't like Wang" Even if you were to break it down into "If A, then ....else" you still could not get to that point. The things that make you like a heavy coat may be things that make another person not like it. For example, a person may not like a heavy coat even in winter, because they can't show off their muscles. Or a person may not like shorts in the summer because they like the way winter clothes make them look.

"A person may not like their in-laws, but they love them." If Love is supposed to be stronger than like, then how can you love someone that you don't like? Grey area. Neither 0 nor 1.

Punching with strong had forward vs strong hand back. If your right is your strongest side then why would one put their weakest side forward to deal with an incoming threat?

Strong hand back protects the arm you value the most. Again Grey Area.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In terms of Christianity, I don't remember anything in the Bible that speaks about only Good people being in heaven. There's a lot of talk about people who put their faith in God being in heaven vs people who were against God not being in heaven. There are quiet a lot of stories in the bible of people doing the wrong thing and still "have favor with God".

Many Christian Churches will tell you that being Good is not enough to get in heaven. The Devil can do good things and still not be good. This is possible because Life is neither On or OFF. There are many people who have done good in this work but had a dark secret that eventually came out. The entire Concept of Good and Bad, and Evil are grey areas.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Life's grey area is why creating quality AI is so difficult.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In terms of Christianity, I don't remember anything in the Bible that speaks about only Good people being in heaven. There's a lot of talk about people who put their faith in God being in heaven vs people who were against God not being in heaven. There are quiet a lot of stories in the bible of people doing the wrong thing and still "have favor with God".

Many Christian Churches will tell you that being Good is not enough to get in heaven. The Devil can do good things and still not be good. This is possible because Life is neither On or OFF. There are many people who have done good in this work but had a dark secret that eventually came out. The entire Concept of Good and Bad, and Evil are grey areas.

Yeah. Working on a Sunday is against the ten commandments.

Pretty sure those guys go to hell.

Latest Discussions