How do you rate this jeans and boots roundhouse kick?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you may not get a second chance to land that same kick. Kick me too light in the head and I may prevent all other round house kicks from reaching my head. That means the only round house kick that landed was actually wasted. This is the mentality of why people say (Make every shot count).

I understand this is not the case for many but I think from the perspective that you and I often look at martial arts, It' just better not to do things that won't cause harm to your attacker. In sports, it's going to be different. In training it's going to be different. If a fight full contact like MMA or a street fight, everything should count. Things like Jabs and snap kicks should be hard enough that your attacker fears it.
If my roundhouse makes you guard your head more (so no others land) then the defense somewhere else is somewhat lessened. In general, a testing kick (one with less power) is used when you have little expectation of it landing, but want to see what the defense is. It's like a quick jab, which also has little chance of doing damage in a single strike.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You didn't retract your leg until the power of your sweep reached it's power peak.

You did not retreat upon contact.

I think the retract that Wang is talking about is is where your leg makes contacts and doesn't send power all the way through. It retracts shortly after making contact like what you see in many point sparring events and light sparring.

Thats the point though. You can retract or return your leg either before you make contact, as you make contact or after you have delivered the power. Just because the kicker or sweeper retracts or returns their leg along the same path does not determine how much power they deliver with the technique. Its the timing of when you switch directions, before contact, at contact or after full power delivery.

Now whether you step forward after the kick, step your foot down after the kick or replace it behind you after the kick... thats all about style and context when you use it.

In that same sweep in the video above, sometimes I keep the sweeping foot up in the air as the other guy falls, as part of the transition. You can wait until he is down and step down and forward a bit, so that your sweeping foot comes down across and in front of his neck. From there, there are a couple of arm bars that you can drop into. (note that you only hold your foot up long enough for the guys head to get lower than your foot. Your foot should land as he lands so that your drop into the arm bar happens immediately after) The reason I bring up this transition is because whether I retract / return the leg under me or step forward after the sweep is based on context.

I do appreciate the break down of my technique... it was very generous. ;)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do anybody believe that to quick pull a punch back can cause more damage than to let your punch to go through your opponent's body?

punch-through-head.jpg
Not everything is about the most potential damage. Pulling a punch back after a sharp delivery allows for a quicker follow-up. It depends what you are setting up for.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do anybody believe that to quick pull a punch back can cause more damage than to let your punch to go through your opponent's body?

punch-through-head.jpg
I have seen discussions in the forums where people have taken the position that it is true. They have used physics to backup their position. I believe it is a misapplication and misunderstanding of physics dealing with impact and energy delivered during a short impact vs. a longer duration impact.

So yes, some people seem to believe that quickly pulling a punch back results in greater damage to the target. I believe they don’t properly understand the physics that they use to justify their position.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Its the timing of when you switch directions, before contact, at contact or after full power delivery.
This is how I see it as well and understood it when Wang was discussing it. This holds true to punches as well. But it will vary from technique to technique where that full power delivery begins and where it ends.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In that same sweep in the video above, sometimes I keep the sweeping foot up in the air as the other guy falls, as part of the transition. You can wait until he is down and step down and forward a bit, so that your sweeping foot comes down across and in front of his neck. From there, there are a couple of arm bars that you can drop into. (note that you only hold your foot up long enough for the guys head to get lower than your foot. Your foot should land as he lands so that your drop into the arm bar happens immediately after) The reason I bring up this transition is because whether I retract / return the leg under me or step forward after the sweep is based on context.
This I agree with. The context in which we do things matters.

I do appreciate the break down of my technique... it was very generous
lol. sorry about that. I have a habit of analyzing video. I slow it down and watch it in slow motion to understand what's going on. At this point it's habit since it's become more and more of a training tool for myself. If I get something wrong with the analysis people can point exactly where I'm not seeing things accurately which is a big help of me with understanding the techniques.

The other thing I notice is that only cool people do sweeps.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure I could even do a spin back hook kick... but I do retract my foot sweeps. Once I have swept the foot, delivered the power, I retract my foot. See below:
That's not "behind ankle sweep". You use the inside edge to sweep the front (or side) of your opponent's foot. You are not using the instep to sweep behind your opponent's ankle.

That's a sweep followed by a downward pull. Since you need to pull your opponent down, after the sweep, you retract your foot. You retract your sweeping leg for the purpose of your pulling, and not for the purpose of your sweeping.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"It depends" can make all discussion meaningless.

A: Should we ...?
B: It depends.

Depends.. lol.
I think the only way to not factor Depend is to talk about the exact same thing. For example.
A. If cooking pot is on fire then pour water on it.
B. Depends on what's in the pot. Stuffing or Oil

So if you don't want to have Depend factor in then you have to be specific.
A. If cooking pot with oil is on fire then pour water on it.
B. Everyone will agree, that A is incorrect. There is no depends.

Sweep is General = Lots of "depends" statements.
Sweep is Specific = near zero "depends" statements.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And you may not get a second chance to land that same kick. Kick me too light in the head and I may prevent all other round house kicks from reaching my head. That means the only round house kick that landed was actually wasted. This is the mentality of why people say (Make every shot count).

I understand this is not the case for many but I think from the perspective that you and I often look at martial arts, It' just better not to do things that won't cause harm to your attacker. In sports, it's going to be different. In training it's going to be different. If a fight full contact like MMA or a street fight, everything should count. Things like Jabs and snap kicks should be hard enough that your attacker fears it.

Sort of. The problem with fakes in street fights is quite often the guy is too dumb to react to it.

Head kicks don't have to be super hard. Just on target. The left switch kick is a ko kick because it catches people off guard.

Especially if you throw a jab and get them leaning in to it. Or get them circling towards it.

The very first one is a great example.

So I tend to heave shots at the leg and flick to the head. Which i think sneaks the kick in a bit better.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sort of. The problem with fakes in street fights is quite often the guy is too dumb to react to it.

Head kicks don't have to be super hard. Just on target. The left switch kick is a ko kick because it catches people off guard.

Especially if you throw a jab and get them leaning in to it. Or get them circling towards it.

The very first one is a great example.

So I tend to heave shots at the leg and flick to the head. Which i think sneaks the kick in a bit better.
You can see where the fundamentals of defense break down. Bad blocks, leaning into kicks. Trying to block phantom low kicks. (I used to have problem with this)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

It think it's the best angle.[/QUOTE]
Well, that is rather subjective. If you want a glamour shot to look your 'best' doing the kick, then I suppose so. If you want constructive criticism to improve that is not going to work. What do you want us to do with that photo?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It think it's the best angle.
Everything ok on your end? Just wondering because you posted "Perfect Form" and then posted " I think it's the best angle" when someone comments that it's hard to tell.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Everything ok on your end? Just wondering because you posted "Perfect Form" and then posted " I think it's the best angle" when someone comments that it's hard to tell.

Yes I am ok, thank you for asking. I don't kick for his sake.

Latest Discussions