How do you rate this jeans and boots roundhouse kick?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not feel any range of motion restriction, so no. If I don't feel any, there probably isn't, or do you decide that?
If the jeans didn’t restrict your motion, then the range of your kick (your kicking flexibility) appears poor.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Huh.

No pivot. No follow through. No chamber. No extension. No drive. No snap. No flexibility. Off balance.

I guess whatever style grand master whoever represents does it.. different.

I did pivot. Are you blind?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If the jeans didn’t restrict your motion, then the range of your kick (your kicking flexibility) appears poor.

So all you base a good kick on is degree of flexibility?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The musashi quote is a truism that a 5 year old realizes.. Not sure why it's worthy to have on ones profile.

Paul Smith

White Belt
Reaction score
Why isn't she snapping back and why is she exposing herself to her opponent? I have so many questions about this "Kick"

mt-roundhouse-kick-3.gif
[/QUOTE]

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why isn't she snapping back and why is she exposing herself to her opponent? I have so many questions about this "Kick"

mt-roundhouse-kick-3.gif
Why do you want to snap back your kick?

If your kick

- land, you want to put your body behind it.
- miss, that kick has helped you to close in the distance.

As far as she exposes herself, her

- right side kick.
- left spin hook kick.
- left spin back fist, right hook punch.

can all be be a good follow up.

Bruce-Lee-4-kicks.gif

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

mt-roundhouse-kick-3.gif
[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing you train at a JMA/KMA school? That snap back is seen in karacte, but not so much in arts from different origins. As for the exposing herself-I personally like to see more sway with the head, but the front hand swing is common with the idea that if you need to you can use your shoulder to guard, while your rear hand comes up to guard. It looks very weird from styles that don't do this; took me a while to wrap my head around it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In CMA, you try to land you kicking leg as close to your opponent as possible.

If you pull your leg back, your punch won't be able to reach to your opponent's face.

Han-groin-kick-face-punch-1.gif

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

mt-roundhouse-kick-3.gif
You have to keep in mind that you are only seeing the kick in that clip. You aren't seeing the follow up (what comes next). Generally speaking. When the kick lands your leg will not land as you see in the clip. By allowing the kick to rotate completely you are allowing the kick to land with full power. Snapping the kick means that you will eventually pull power away from your kick. Snapping punches and kicks are used for different reasons.

As for being exposed. It only looks like she is exposed. You can watch any Muay Thai or MMA fight to see how quickly someone can recover from when they don't land the kick. Slow motion and demo strikes often make it look as if you are open for longer than what you really are.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did pivot. Are you blind?
Well, admittedly my eyes aren't what they once were.

But not so bad as to not notice you were retracting it at or before the point of theoretical impact. There's nothing there.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

If you pull your leg back, your punch won't be able to reach to your opponent's face.

I think CMA has a different philosophy / approach to fighting. I've notice that those who aren't familiar with it tend to lend more toward the western thinking of striking and defending. They only see the opportunity for the strike and not the opportunity for a follow up strike /defense. So the landing foot of a kick is always a kick and never an advancing step.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think CMA has a different philosophy / approach to fighting. I've notice that those who aren't familiar with it tend to lend more toward the western thinking of striking and defending. They only see the opportunity for the strike and not the opportunity for a follow up strike /defense. So the landing foot of a kick is always a kick and never an advancing step.
Well that depends. At my old mma club we would do a lot of drilling on roundhouse kick to offline step.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well that depends. At my old mma club we would do a lot of drilling on roundhouse kick to offline step.
Not sure how it looks but it could fall under either one depending on if the that offstep resets you or guides you into the next strike or next defense.

If it's resets you then it would be Western Thinking. 1-2-3- reset.
If it guides you to the next strike or block then it's more Eastern thinking.

I personally use both methods of thinking. But I lean more towards the Eastern thinking by default, because long fist pretty much requires it, unless you want to take frequent unplanned naps during training .

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Like all things, it depends. Sometimes you can step down close to the enemy. But there are risks involved. Sometimes you definitely do not want to step down like that and you had better retract the foot.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like all things, it depends. Sometimes you can step down close to the enemy. But there are risks involved. Sometimes you definitely do not want to step down like that and you had better retract the foot.
When your opponent catches your kicking leg, if you pull your leg back, it won't work. If you drop all your weight on your leading leg and step down (follow with a hammer fist on top of his head), your opponent may not be able to hold on your entire body weight.

So to step down after kicking instead of to pull your kicking leg back is a training to counter a leg catching.

In CMA, a kick is a step, a step is a kick.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions