Gradings

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that gradings are done differently by nearly every school and every style, so I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone else does for their grading. In the style I practice we have 20 different forms including weapons forms. You start off at the beginning learning the very basic form, which you get graded on. Once you pass your first grading you learn the second form. For your second grading you have to perform both forms. This process continues with each grading having you do a new form, while also performing the ones you've already learned. Not only that but each time you grade at a new level you have to show an improvement in the forms you've already learned.

I like this as it means you have to constantly practice and perfect the basics throughout your training, instead of just getting through the grading and forgetting the basics while you focus on the more complex forms.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think that's pretty much the way every grading is done showing the new thing you learnt and showing you know the old stuff still.

Ours is basics first which is a good warm up then forms then techniques then sparring then the most painful part of all kneeling down while they discuss if you all passed or not which can take up to an hour trust me that is more painful than any punch. By the end your thinking I don't care if I passed just let me get out this position

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Physical Fitness,
Form presentation,
Required Drills and Techniques,
Discussion on understanding and presentation of different application potentials,
Any previously required material the test committee asks to see.
Sparring or Scenarios under pressure.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that's pretty much the way every grading is done showing the new thing you learnt and showing you know the old stuff still.

Ours is basics first which is a good warm up then forms then techniques then sparring then the most painful part of all kneeling down while they discuss if you all passed or not which can take up to an hour trust me that is more painful than any punch. By the end your thinking I don't care if I passed just let me get out this position

Sparring is the one thing we don't do in our gradings, and I wish we did. Oh well, you can't have it all I guess, and I'll probably have my hands full learning all the forms of the system first without having to spar on top of that.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For non-black belts -
Grading is held during regular class time. It follows a similar format to regular classes, only the teacher goes through the syllabus for the rank(s) being tested for. The intensity of the class is higher, and there's little help. All eyes are on the student(s) testing, and the others in class at the time follow along. Students are tested on everything from the current rank syllabus and some things from previous ranks.

Depending on rank and age, the student(s) will stay for the following class (black belt class) and spar with them for a portion of that class.

Black belt grading -
I haven't been through it yet in my current system. But allegedly...
Black belt grading is done at our organization's headquarters. Most often done over several evenings. Each evening has a different aspect - basics, kata, standardized self defense techniques and prearranged sparring, and free-sparring. Students are tested on everything they've learned since day one.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
Grading for my school is a follows: White belt: Blocks, stances,knowledge, form, self defense techniques. Yellow I and II, all the above and sparring. Green I and II all the above and sparing , Blue I and II all the above at Blue I you break a practice board with a hand and foot technique, Blue II one wood board with hand and foot technique. Red I, 2 board with hand 2 board with foot, different techniques. Red II ,I don't know what testing to from this level to black entails yet.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
At my school, the promotion consists of the instructor announcing that the student is being promoted to the next belt.

The test for that promotion consists of years of observing how the student performs on the mat.

I guess that makes sense for a BJJ school. Do you guys even have forms, or is it all just rolling?

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my Kenpo Class 1st we do the basic then forms and sets then technique then at the adult class you dont sparr until your a brown belt. in the adult class we have 24 technique on each belt so we have to memorize all of them i have to memorize 120 technique from yellow to 3rd brown

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
In my Kenpo Class 1st we do the basic then forms and sets then technique then at the adult class you dont sparr until your a brown belt. in the adult class we have 24 technique on each belt so we have to memorize all of them i have to memorize 120 technique from yellow to 3rd brown

What rank is brown?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I only promote to instructor ranks and there is no test. It usually happens at one of our association instructor camps and there is some sparring involved. I get to see what they know in our regular classes and when I ask them to lead portions of the class.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Depends on the style, BJJ, as Tony mentioned, is just at the instructor's discretion, and you are essentially testing every class....

In Aikido, it's a bit more formal. This is for the USAF....

Kyu tests have specific requirements, although the first test for 6th kyu is really more of a test of knowing stances, terminology, and some basic tai Sabaki. The 5-1 Kyus all get more complicated with more advanced techniques as you advance. These are all done by a shidoin, or fukushidoin. While they have a set list of techniques, they may often throw additional more advanced techniques at you to see what you know, and to see how react under duress. Additionally, as you advance, stamina becomes more and more important. Generally, all testing only occurs at seminars. Which, at our dojo, only happens 3 times per year.

Time requirements:

20 practice days to 6th
40 practice days to 5th
80 practice days to 4th
100 practice days to 3rd
200 practice days to 2nd
300 practice days to 1st
300 practice days to Shodan

Important to remember these are MINIMUM requirements, most people testing have 1.5-2 times the number of practice days required.

For yudansha, these also only occur during a seminar, and have to be done by either TWO shidoin, OR, a Shihan member of the USAF technical committee.

Practicing 3 days per week will take about 9-12 years on average to start and then make Shodan