How not to use a staff. Real world application

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's something for the guys and gals who practice weapon forms and techniques. Take note of the nice use of the bat to block the improper staff swing.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Is that staged or actually legit? Regardless I love the way the guy held the staff, I might try that in my next weapons class :joyful:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's something for the guys and gals who practice weapon forms and techniques. Take note of the nice use of the bat to block the improper staff swing.

I believe the bat is held thusly...

BaseballFuries_vice_670.jpg

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
No, its like this. NSFW for real world violence
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good clip for discussion.

First, from a self-defense point of view, the bat-wielder did not seem like the aggressor. IMO he was wrong to jump out of his car with a weapon, but even so he held back without attacking while the other guy went for the staff and then took the first swing. He's just lucky the guy who went for the staff, didn't grab a gun, but that's another discussion.

Once they went at it, the bat wielder generally maintained good range for having the shorter weapon and used it effectively. The tight quarters between the backed-up traffic did not favor the staff. Actually, the bat-wielder was at some risk of being grappled when the physically larger staff-wielder got close to him. The bat-wielder seemed fitter, but who wants to go to the ground with a big buy and roll around in traffic? IMO kudos to the bat guy for breaking it off and walking away as soon as the staff guy backed down.

...and it appears that no one was seriously hurt. That's really good. A friend of mine in his early gang-banger days once saw a buddy get killed with a baseball bat. And back when I used to work with instructional programs at the Maricopa County jails one of my students was there awaiting for trial for having killed somebody with a bat in a drunken fight outside a bar. ...so win or lose, definitely not a good thing. :cool:

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have had limited training with a staff but more with sticks/weapons and blades. I have found the staff harder to manage with quick multiple strikes, and it better be a heavy and hard wood staff. I will take a metal bat or heavy club, a hammer, or blade and rush a untrained person with a light staff. However there appeared to be a big difference between the staff the car guy had which looked like a home depot closet rod, and the heavy staff the guy had in what appears to a third world country. Also as mentioned it depends on the size of your opponent in general if you rush them.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have had limited training with a staff but more with sticks/weapons and blades. I have found the staff harder to manage with quick multiple strikes, and it better be a heavy and hard wood staff. I will take a metal bat or heavy club, a hammer, or blade and rush a untrained person with a light staff. However there appeared to be a big difference between the staff the car guy had which looked like a home depot closet rod, and the heavy staff the guy had in what appears to a third world country. Also as mentioned it depends on the size of your opponent in general if you rush them.
The staff can is a high versatile and powerful weapon, but only if you know how to use it. Even with a home depot closet rod, I can could still jab someone in the face, break toes, and attack the joints with it. If it breaks then hope it break fairly clean and not split which would not give me a stabbing stick. Swinging the staff like you saw in the videos is the least effective way to use a staff.

Latest Discussions