Your preffered way of training

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So in my kenpo training I've had 2 instructors. The first one who I started with who has passed away now he preffered to do techniques fast and hard get a lot done in one night (or half an hour because the other time was spent on basics, forms etc) and do some basic details on improvements.

The one who takes us now is a lot more analytical and will more than likely only get through 2 or 3 techniques a night but is very detailed on them and does give a lot of tips on improvements on one move.

Now I'm not saying ones better i think they're both good ways but which one do you guys think is more effective just out of interest

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So in my kenpo training I've had 2 instructors. The first one who I started with who has passed away now he preffered to do techniques fast and hard get a lot done in one night (or half an hour because the other time was spent on basics, forms etc) and do some basic details on improvements.

The one who takes us now is a lot more analytical and will more than likely only get through 2 or 3 techniques a night but is very detailed on them and does give a lot of tips on improvements on one move.

Now I'm not saying ones better i think they're both good ways but which one do you guys think is more effective just out of interest

I don't really have a preference. In my dojo I have instructors who will do either of the two methods you described. I really find value in both methods.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think either is more effective than the other, it all depends on how you learn.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I try to find a balance of getting a decent amount of techniques while going over techniques in some sort of detail. It's really difficult to do this in one class. Normally the other instructor will show multiple techniques in which you have to practice on your own. I tend to balance his method of teaching by making sure that my classes are heavy on kung fu conditioning and application training and analysis. 3 days are dedicated to multiple techniques. 1 day is dedicated to conditioning and forms, and 1 day is dedicated to applications training (kung fu sparring).
If 2 much time is spent on blasting through techniques then it means that not enough time is spent understanding the techniques being learned. Spending too much time on trying to understand a technique means that the number of techniques to be learned is significantly reduced. I could literally take one technique and spend 2 weeks just talking about all of the applications of that technique.

If all I want to do is learn a form then the style that teaches the most techniques the fasted is better for me. If all I want to do is learn how to use the techniques to fight or defend myself, then 2 to 3 techniques a night is better for me. If I want to have an even development for the fighting system then having a balance of teaching methods works better for me.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
While I've trained at a couple of others for short periods of time while traveling, I've mainly trained BJJ at two schools/under two instructors. The first one was vary old school. After warm ups, we'd do a couple of techniques and then it was just "go roll". We would learn on the matts. If you really had trouble with a technique, he'd grab you and do it a couple of times on you to get the feel. The school I'm at now, I feel, is more technical. He spends a lot of time going over finer points of a technique. We also do a lot of positional drills to get us to practice the particular technique. I think, technique wise, I'm learning a lot faster here. But in the older school, as a new white belt, I was expected to survive against experienced blue belts and purples and so I learned how to survive. I got very good at my defenses and escapes which surprises some folks at my new school.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
which one do you guys think is more effective just out of interest
If you don't want your students to learn, you teach them a lot of techniques in one class and never review it. IMO, the best way to teach is to teach how to:

1. use that technique,
2. counter that technique (this can be many),
3. counter to those counters of that technique (now you start to learn how to use the 1st technique to set up the 2nd technique),
4 ...

How many levels do you want to get into it? That can be another interested discussion.

Last edited:

tubby

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
can I vote for some of each? sometimes a class just going over basics, or a single pattern and perfecting them is great, but if every class was like that I'd get very bored. but if no class was that we'd be left with a whole pile of not nearly as good as they should be techniques.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Depends on the level of experience of the student, really.

zanaffar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I prefer to go over a small number of techniques and then work on applying them in a resisting situation so you learn ways of setting them up and countering them. Now, when I talk about techniques here, I'm referring to a grappling setting.

If we're talking about striking, things change a bit. With advanced strikes, mainly various forms of kicking techniques, I think it's important to spend a decent amount of time going over the actual movement. That can involve kicking the air for repetitions, then incorporating the move into your shadow boxing, then doing the kick on pads, and finally trying to utilize it in sparring. I find that my striking is able to benefit much more from solo work than my grappling as there's only so much you can practice without a partner.

Latest Discussions