Fasting and the Martial Arts Mindset

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by DougKenline, Apr 12, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanT

DanT Black Belt

Being a practitioner of Shaolin, we preach moderation and balance in all things. It is a fundamental principle in Shaolin to care for one's body and be in peak condition. However, one cannot be in peak condition and be unbalanced, nor can they be in peak condition by following extremes. This is why we train 5 h a day, 5 days a week, not 8 hours a day everyday. This is why we eat healthy 95% of the time, focusing on vegetables as our main source of nutrients, but leave space for that slice of cake once a week. You're dealing in extremes and it will be hard to maintain. You did an amazing job losing excess weight. You should strive for a body fat % of around 8-12%, which is a very healthy, lean range to be in. Have your body fat calculated by your doctor, ask if it is safe to cut further, and tell them that you would like to be in that range. Don't deal in extremes. Your goal should be to be healthy.

• Like Like x 4
  2. pdg

pdg Black Belt

I keep fish, both in a pond and indoors in a tank.

We also have chickens and rabbits.

Doesn't stop me eating their distant relatives...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Well they were looking as if they considered us as food! They were bigger than most of the girls so it wouldn't have been impossible.

4. pdg

pdg Black Belt

If I keeled over within reach, I'm quite sure all our pets would happily eat me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    The tunnel part where sharks and sting rays swam overhead as well as in the big tanks, the girls sleeping bags ready for bed ( not sleep that didn't happen for a while lol)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    Nah... trust me on this. There is nothing in the ocean that looks at us and thinks "Mmmmm, yummy!"
    Certainly not things like stingrays, which don't even have teeth.

7. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

Death by chicken!

Our girls are a mixture of military and country/farming backgrounds, the farm ones will happily eat animals of course, it's quite disturbing sometimes how 5 year olds can tell you all about breeding programmes, bulls, rams, AI etc.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Dirty Dog

You have carnivorous rabbits?

9. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    When you are only five though you really aren't sure.:D

I eat kosher so no seafood and no fish that doesn't have scales for me. Fish and chips good though! the green is mushy peas (no don't like them) the bowl has tartare sauce.

[​IMG]

10. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

We have vampire rabbits in Yorkshire.

[​IMG]

11. Dirty Dog

Mushy peas are baby food. I do like peas though, especially with ham (which is like bacon...). But fish IS seafood...

12. Dirty Dog

I think Dr Monty Pyton did a documentary on them...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit Master Black Belt

I was just going to say - starving yourself helps absolutely no one. In fact, starving for show or for a fancy diet or just to see if you can do it is kind of insulting to people who are starving because they have no choice. Eat normally, make a few Kiva loans, or start a campaign with your friends to help out the Red Cross, WHO, and Doctors Without Borders to get food to people who need it. The whole "ooh, look at me - I am not eating out of solidarity with people of Sudan" is just bogus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AngryHobbit

15. AngryHobbit

When my family and I were food hunting in Ukraine or when I was starving as an exchange student living in a gritty neighborhood in the US, someone else going on a hunger strike just because I didn't have money to buy food would have helped me... not at all. It's one thing if you are a political prisoner going on a hunger strike to defy your jailers. Or going hungry because you are in the middle of Siege of Leningrad and you just gave your bread ration the size of a match box to a hungry child.

Starving to show off how noble you are is BS. There. I said it. Get it out of your head. Eat something. If you really want to help, go join Peace Corps or Doctors Without Borders. Organize a fund raising campaign to send food to Sudan. Your starving helps nobody and comes across ridiculous and pompous.

And do you know what the long-term effect of such a radical weight loss is? You underwent detailed physical and psychological tests by qualified medical professionals to establish that the weight loss and the on-going up and down weight shift had no long-term effects on you? Losing weight by itself is just that - losing weight. It has to be considered within the scope of your unique physical, physiological, and psychological makeup. As people here said several times - we are all different. Is it possible losing 130 lb is a positive thing, good for you all-around? Sure. But it is also possible it is not. You can't say with certainty until you have talked to your doctor and had your tests done.

Oh, and while we are at it? Eliminating fat entirely from your body and from your diet is not a good thing either. That much has been established. Look it up. When it comes to what we eat, certain essential minerals and vitamins contained in vegetables are ONLY soluble in fat. So, you are better off having a salad with a low-fat dressing or a drizzle of olive oil than with a fat free dressing, because in the latter case, you are deriving no benefit from the vitamins in the salad.

Study after study demonstrates dietary extremes might yield short-term results, but eliminating entire groups of foods or ingredients is, ultimately, not a great idea, unless there is an allergy involved.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

sounds likely!

One thing that was stressed at The Deep is the variety of fish we should be eating and the fish we shouldn't because they are being fished to extinction these include eels, marlin ( Blue and Atlantic), prawns ( that was a surprise to me), rays, seabass ( one of my favourites but will have to think twice now) skate, tuna ( another one I like), Atlantic wild salmon, skate, sturgeon ( caviar). They give a huge list of sustainable but I think in the UK as least we tend not to go for what is considered 'exotic' fish but we have to consider eating different ones or else we'll run out of the old favourites.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jobo

jobo Senior Master

it will be interesting to see what your doc does say, using the bmi charts, you three pounds of being considered malnourishment and of having an eating disorder, so if you go in " fast" mode it should set of warning bells,as your blood sugar will be near zero, if you go in binge mode you will have a massive insulin spike, that will make him consider you as potentially diabetic.

the bmi calculations are potential very misleading, the taller you are the more skewed they are,

when I went, he told me I was five pounds over weight, I looked at him agog, I'm 6,1 just short of 200 lbs, I have a 34 waist and visible abs, I took my shirt off and said " where exactly is this alleged fat ?.year right he said, it reads high with tall people, which he should have really considered BEFORE telling me I was Fat

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. pdg

pdg Black Belt

It's not unknown for rabbits to eat their own offspring, and if I laid still long enough without feeding them I reckon they'd have a nibble...

They're the only thing that isn't biologically at least partly carnivorous, and that includes the hamster.

19. AngryHobbit

[​IMG]

20. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    You don’t?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.