Looking for feedback on my exercise routine

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish it was that easy. But I have a specific number I want to weigh because that's when I feel the best about my body.

If that's really the case then you'll have to ditch the exercise instead - or at least the muscle concetrated parts of it.

Here's something for you to mull over:

59b1059772d5b01f091c4f1c54b31887.jpg

Bear in mind, the muscle (meat) on the scales is going to be relatively dry - add a living amount of blood and water and you can chop probably a third off that.

Still really looking at a meaningless number?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As Pdg,said that's silly, If as is quite possible in say 12/ 18, months you replace 12lbs of fat with 12 pounds of muscle, you are going to weigh the same, but your body will look completely different, nice flat belly and big shoulders, you will undoubtedly feel better about you body at that point,,,

If you want a meaningful weight measure, they go on a machine that measures the % of body fat you have, then go back Every 3 months and measure it again

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you want a meaningful weight measure, they go on a machine that measures the % of body fat you have, then go back Every 3 months and measure it again
Well, I am also very short. So although 12 pounds doesn't sound like much, it makes a big difference on someone my height.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I am also very short. So although 12 pounds doesn't sound like much, it makes a big difference on someone my height.

Do your feet reach the ground? Then you're tall enough.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this obsession. With a specific but completely arbitrary target weight, is wide spread, its body completion that this issue not how much you weigh.

a good few years ago i went to th,docs and,at 511 200 lbs he,told me i was obese,i certainly didn't look so though i was in 38' waist pants, i looked thinish,

i went back about two years later, i had 34 pants on, was 6.1tall( id straighten some spine curvature out) with big shoulders and,arm and visible,Abs and 200 lbs and he said still over weight i see ? I looked like a completely different person, i lift d my t shirt to show must. Abs, with a puzzled expression, but he was having non of it, the computer said fat, so i got a,sheet on healthy diet and the benefits of 20 mins light walks and when home

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

You're not getting what I'm saying (or what Jobo is saying)...

If you "gain lean muscle and lose fat" you'll be slimmer, but quite possibly heavier.

Eating better will help lose fat.

Exercising will help lose fat.

Exercising will build muscle (a bit or a lot) - muscle is heavier than fat.

Ergo - BUILDING MUSCLE AND LOSING FAT MAY MAKE YOU HEAVIER.

If you are really going to carry on focusing on weight then I'll bet your plan (irrespective of the fact I haven't seen it) is entirely unsuitable.

If you are really going to carry on focusing on weight, I have a different plan for you:

Walk for 20 minutes per day.
Go on a "beach body" diet.

That's it - nothing more.

High intensity exercise will make you build muscle (which is heavier than fat) and you may never be the weight you want.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a meaningless statistic, which average person exactly and what sort of EXCERSICE ? Someone who is AGGRESSIVLY exERCISING can shiFT about a litre an hour, the AVERAGE person can't aggressively exercise for an hour, they certainly canT do so for 4hours which would be required to go through a gallon of fluid,

But my point still remains if you are,supER fit and manage to aggressively pursue exercise for 4hours ,and manage to shift your gallon, do NOT dRINK water to replenish the lOST fluid or you will make your self ill,

The guidance applies to all, in all climates, if you can make a case for a roofer in a heat wave in Alabama, that DOESNT make the guidance right for peoples who work in offices in alaska and don't exercise, or people who work in AC, offices in Alabama for that matter
Exactly, that is why it is an average statistic.

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do want to build lean muscle and lose fat, but I also want to weigh less overall. I feel like it's possible because I used to weigh 119 pounds and was strong and not flabby. I want to get down to 125 pounds while becoming less flabby and stronger. I'm only 5'1 and a half, so that weight goal is a healthy one, not underweight by any means. Right now I am 136 pounds and have too much fat In some areas.
So I've been working out every day and not eating anything unhealthy and eating small portions. I will try to figure out how to post my workout routine and I'd really like to know if the exercises I'm doing can help me build lean muscle. I am assuming if I build lean muscle while maintaining a calorie deficit, I can also lose weight?

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
this obsession. With a specific but completely arbitrary target weight, is wide spread, its body completion that this issue not how much you weigh.

a good few years ago i went to th,docs and,at 511 200 lbs he,told me i was obese,i certainly didn't look so though i was in 38' waist pants, i looked thinish,

i went back about two years later, i had 34 pants on, was 6.1tall( id straighten some spine curvature out) with big shoulders and,arm and visible,Abs and 200 lbs and he said still over weight i see ? I looked like a completely different person, i lift d my t shirt to show must. Abs, with a puzzled expression, but he was having non of it, the computer said fat, so i got a,sheet on healthy diet and the benefits of 20 mins light walks and when home
I understand that I guess but I don't want to be considered fat. I hate feeling and looking fat. and when I am less flabby I can feel my martial arts improving because I am lighter and faster.

OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
I understand this routine isn't all that intense but it gets me sweaty and out of breath. So I figured once it becomes easier, I will intensify and increase certain things.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I understand this routine isn't all that intense but it gets me sweaty and out of breath. So I figured once it becomes easier, I will intensify and increase certain things.
ok lwlets forget the weight. v fat loss debate. If losing weight is your priority, then do your exercises they are fine, but you won't exercise. 12lbs off in the short term, your not fit enough. To do it hard enough for long enough to make significant holes in your fat store. Though they will certainly help you along

you need. To go on a proper calorie controlled diet weight watchers, say or any that have a realistic goal for loss of about a lb a,week

then by the end of September you will be a) considerably fitter than you are now and b) your ideal weight,then we can look at your next priority

Last edited:
OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
ok lwlets forget the weight. v fat loss debate. If losing weight is your priority, then do your exercises they are fine, but you won't exercise. 12lbs off in the short term, your not fit enough. To do it hard enough for long enough to make significant holes in your fat store. Though they will certainly help you along

you need. To go on a proper calorie controlled diet weight watchers, say or any that have a realistic goal for loss of about a lb a,week

then by the end of September you will be a) considerably fitter than you are now and b) your ideal weight,then we can look at your next priority
Do you mean my routine is not enough exercise? Today and yesterday I did some extra stuff. I guess what I wrote down is more like a baseline - what I absolutely make sure to do each day. But I'm not just sitting on the couch the rest of the day, I'm staying fairly avtive.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you mean my routine is not enough exercise? Today and yesterday I did some extra stuff. I guess what I wrote down is more like a baseline - what I absolutely make sure to do each day. But I'm not just sitting on the couch the rest of the day, I'm staying fairly avtive.
Yes and no, it's one of life's many unfairness that only very fit USSualy thin people can exercise sufficiently to lose significant amounts of weight, in a short time frame, they end up eating loads so they don't get even thinner than they are.

No one at your level of fitness can shift 13lbs of fat in three months by exercise alone, the differeanc between your exercises and sitting on the coach watching telly is probably 200 CALories an hour, That's if you were actually doing a hour of hard exercise which your not, so Say 100 calories per session, that's 600 a weeI or two small chocolate bars worth. A lb of fat is 3500 worth of calories, so that's Five weeks to shift one pound through excersisE alone, whilst you are still eating the same amount that made you fat in the First place, so every think you lose you out back on again.

If you were say going on three hour brisk Hill walks or cycling 20 miles at speed, you may actually be able to put a dent in it, but your not, your skipping for 10 minets,

If you want to hit your targetweight any time soon, DIET

Last edited:
OP
W

watching

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes and no, it's one of life's many unfairness that only very fit USSualy thin people can exercise sufficiently to lose significant amounts of weight, in a short time frame, they end up eating loads so they don't get even thinner than they are.

No one at your level of fitness can shift 13lbs of fat in three months by exercise alone, the differeanc between your exercises and sitting on the coach watching telly is probably 200 CALories an hour, That's if you were actually doing a hour of hard exercise which your not, so Say 100 calories per session, that's 600 a weeI or two small chocolate bars worth. A lb of fat is 3500 worth of calories, so that's Five weeks to shift one pound through excersisE alone, whilst you are still eating the same amount that made you fat in the First place, so every think you lose you out back on again.

If you were say going on three hour brisk Hill walks or cycling 20 miles at speed, you may actually be able to put a dent in it, but your not, your skipping for 10 minets,

If you want to hit your targetweight any time soon, DIET
Oh I guess I should have brought that up. I have also changed what I eat and how much. I most certainly have a calorie deficit every day and don't eat crappy food, when I do eat. So it's that exercise, plus going to karate, and whatever other activities I do throughout the day on top of a calorie deficit.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh I guess I should have brought that up. I have also changed what I eat and how much. I most certainly have a calorie deficit every day and don't eat crappy food, when I do eat. So it's that exercise, plus going to karate, and whatever other activities I do throughout the day on top of a calorie deficit.
Well try it then! If your already doing this, you should be seeing weight loss at circa a Pound a week, My feelings are your better off with a diet that's been designed by a nutritionist and tested by millions rather than one you've made up yourself. But the proOf is in the pudding as they say.

Much more than that and it's no probably not fat your losing, rather muscle/ lean tissue less than that and it's clearly not working well or at all.

Report back

Nb, stop drinking so much water, water retention isNt going to help weight loss any

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Watching....you go, girl.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Watching....you go, girl.

I just realised I may have come across as a bit negative.

That wasn't the intent - I'm fully supportive of the effort :)

I was just hoping to somewhat temper the expectation of a target weight ;)

Rice Nachos

White Belt
Reaction score
Since you're asking for feedback from random internet strangers, here's my contribution.

Your plan seems sensible. As jobo said, diet is the big mover of weight (up and down). Try not to lose weight too fast; 1% of bodyweight per week is a common standard. Keep your expectations low for muscle gain while you are "cutting" as the bodybuilders etc. put it. Once you've hit your target weight, you should revisit your goals (e.g., if you still want to add muscle).

Whatever you do, make sure it includes "elbow sandwich" and "front chicken kick.":)

Latest Discussions