Fasting and the Martial Arts Mindset

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
DougKenline

DougKenline

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think you would get better results enjoying a nice large meal then fasting a couple days.

CB, on these couple of days of fasting, how many calories per day?

When you say a couple of days of fasting do yo mean a couple of days on zero calories?

OP
DougKenline

DougKenline

Orange Belt
Reaction score
IMHO, it seems like you are going too extreme.

i like that...in his humble opinion.........i think this is all opinion....my opinion and other's opinions..........i have said, tell me the numbers you use to measure healthy and i'll bet i'm spot on every measurement......and then the interpretation of those measurements will involve a bit of opinion and speculation as well..........so i guess we're all gonna be who we're gonna be, so what do you do with good old boys like me?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
from 25 years old to last year(40 years), I was 6'2" 200 lbs with an athletic build

Doing light cardio 3 mornings a week, moderate intensity weight lifting 6 nights a week, fasting intermittently from 10 pm til 11 am 7 days per week and averaging under 2400 calories per day eating a balanced meal.....I maintained my weight pretty easily. And still ate good.....steak, fish, pork, chicken, etc

200 lbs to me is my ideal weight.

Disclaimer: an injured knee last year plus a injured back early this year has completely thrown me off and I have gained more than I would like (up to 230 lbs)

But my knee is good now, and hopefully I get my back feeling better in the next month or two and I can get back to my program.

In the past I only had to alter my diet to averaging under 2000 calories per day to lose weight

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
regarding The Final Solution.....come on guys...humor.......laugh it up a little........you all have your own final solutions and you are working them as i type this..........i just came up with that name for my system because in fact it is the last program that i will ever need......and we'll see who lives longer.........anybody here 55 years old.....somebody says they want a picture of me and nobody here is putting up any pictures of them ...........i got me a good before and after pic and and a good pick at 183 lbs on first upswing but why put them up so you all can laugh me down from behind your cloaked identities........anybody on here use their real name........i guess this is the way people like to operate online behind a mask......now i remember why i left all social media forums ten years ago...........
Actually, a few of us do use our real names. And interact like real people.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Live chat format is better than this format. This format isn't fast enough for me. Anybody know of any good Martial Arts live chat forums? Cisco Spark is the best. Then comes Slack. And Discord is pretty cool too. Just can't seem to find any good searchable indexes and Google seems to turn up nothing.
Live chat doesn’t allow as many participants. And you can’t catch up after you’ve been gone. It really loses a lot of chance for deep discussion.

OP
DougKenline

DougKenline

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Right Gerry and I gave you props for that above. Good job. Keep up the good work! I'm flying in to RDU next weekend for a big test. Smokies BBQ is on the schedule.

10800 Chapel Hill Rd, Morrisville, NC 27560

Smokey's BBQ Shack

OP
DougKenline

DougKenline

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Live chat doesn’t allow as many participants. And you can’t catch up after you’ve been gone. It really loses a lot of chance for deep discussion.

Yea that's true Gerry. Both have their pros and cons. I agree with your point for sure. A time to slow things down and give something some thought. Good point. Well taken.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok but the gut will be coming back out at that weight....maybe if i keep working on my core i can get there......

If you don't have the gut now......Then the weight you put on will be good weight....Muscle, Bone, and Skin with no gut....plus if you see some gut starting just adjust more activity and/or less average calories

The key is exercise.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
CB, on these couple of days of fasting, how many calories per day?

When you say a couple of days of fasting do yo mean a couple of days on zero calories?

I never really fasted for whole days. I just tracked my calories daily and weekly and tried to keep it between 2000-2400 on average. If I knew I was going somewhere (family gathering, party, etc...) and was going to have a spike in calories I would drop my caloric intake to between 1200-1500 calories the day before and after and maybe add a day of cardio.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess this latest spastic burst of postings clears up the fact this guy hasn't the first clue about martial arts, let alone practices one.

On that note, no more indulging in the crazy juice for me. Best of luck, patient people.

OP
DougKenline

DougKenline

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There's guys who run ultra-marathons. These guys train on 20 or 30 miles of road work 7 days a week. Some here would say oh that's scary. Oh that's extreme. Oh that's not healthy. Why do these ultra-marathoners do it? Why do they push themselves to these extremes when everybody they talk to says oh that's scary. Oh that's really frightening? They do it to see if they can do it.

Why do people climb Mount Everest? Do you think everybody they know doesn't tell them oh that's extreme? Oh that's scary? Oh that is really frightening? Tell your wife you're going to climb Mount Everest next year and see what she says.

Do you think you could climb Mount Everest or run ultra-marathons? What are your goals? Are your goals extreme or do you prefer mediocre goals that are not so scary?

Ultra Marathon Race Calendar, Reviews and Ultra Running News

Leadman & Leadwoman - Leadville Race Series

The human body is capable of amazing things,
you just have to be ready.

Whether you are training for a 30k or a 100 mile (or more), we can help.

Ultra Marathon Coaching by Life Time Run | Featuring Coach Ryan Krol

Any runners here want to speak to this?

Nearly all of those contenders trained more than 100 miles a week!

UltRunR - The Long Run

Some of the guys on here must be almost ready to wet their drawers in fear as they read the above.

Running on Empty

The ultimate endurance athlete, Marshall Ulrich has run more than one hundred foot races averaging over one hundred miles each, completed twelve expedition-length adventure races, and ascended the seven summits— including Mount Everest. Yet his run from California to New York—the equivalent of running two marathons and a 10k every day for nearly two months straight—proved to be his most challenging effort yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Running-Empty-Ultramarathoner’s-Record-Setting-Across/dp/1583334904

Born to Run

Isolated by Mexico's deadly Copper Canyons, the blissful Tarahumara Indians have honed the ability to run hundreds of miles without rest or injury.

ever-growing numbers of ultra-runners are pushing their bodies to the limit

https://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so i'll call it something else then, because i'm not starving and i'm not binging.....you say tomato i say tomotto....give me some numbers you use to measure healthy and i'll post my numbers here and you post your numbers here.....but i may as well be talking to a wall as some made up identity....how many names do you go by out here?......you got multiple personalities probably..............at least i only have my one personality...............you could all be the same guy as far as i know except for CB! Thanks CB! Keep up the good work! Love the videos!

Nope it's only me, and I'm really bored by you now. You think you are unique but really you are just a bog standard attention seeker. Have fun, and try not to take too much of whatever you are on. :rolleyes:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's guys who run ultra-marathons. These guys train on 20 or 30 miles of road work 7 days a week. Some here would say oh that's scary. Oh that's extreme. Oh that's not healthy. Why do these ultra-marathoners do it? Why do they push themselves to these extremes when everybody they talk to says oh that's scary. Oh that's really frightening? They do it to see if they can do it.

Why do people climb Mount Everest? Do you think everybody they know doesn't tell them oh that's extreme? Oh that's scary? Oh that is really frightening? Tell your wife you're going to climb Mount Everest next year and see what she says.

Do you think you could climb Mount Everest or run ultra-marathons? What are your goals? Are your goals extreme or do you prefer mediocre goals that are not so scary?

UltRunR - The Long Run

Some of the guys on here must be almost ready to wet their drawers in fear as they read the above.

Running on Empty

The ultimate endurance athlete, Marshall Ulrich has run more than one hundred foot races averaging over one hundred miles each, completed twelve expedition-length adventure races, and ascended the seven summits— including Mount Everest. Yet his run from California to New York—the equivalent of running two marathons and a 10k every day for nearly two months straight—proved to be his most challenging effort yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Running-Empty-Ultramarathoner’s-Record-Setting-Across/dp/1583334904

Born to Run

Isolated by Mexico's deadly Copper Canyons, the blissful Tarahumara Indians have honed the ability to run hundreds of miles without rest or injury.

You are using extreme athletes as an excuse for bingeing.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

UltRunR - The Long Run

Running on Empty

Born to Run

are you intending to run a marathon or climb mount everest ? if not I don't see what this has to do with your extreme diet. if so then your diet will quite possibly lead to your untimely demise.

you seem to be attacking people here for being " healthy" happy and normal.

what is your motivation for your diet régime ? I get the impression that its aesthetics your after rather than athletic performance. I also suspect that you don't look aesthetical pleasing, very tall very thin middle aged people generally dont

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not getting into the diet style debate, it's not worth my time...

Focussing purely on weight is hugely flawed. Weight by itself means nothing really.

I do think you have a body self image problem - but hey, so do I. I'm not happy with my wibbly belly...

Over the past couple of years I've taken 3 inches off my waist, but I've gained weight (maybe 15 lbs or so, estimate based on the fact I always hovered around a certain weight, the other day was the first time I've weighed myself for well over 2 years).

So, I'm heavier even though I'm slimmer - it's a different sort of weight.

Thing is, I've decided to go a different path - fasting for more than a day gives me a headache so that's out.

I like the food I like - I like burgers, I like pizza. I don't want to 'deny' myself. I'd rather put more effort into burning off what I put in over cutting what I put in. I still end up with a rough calorific balance or slight deficit.

Oh, and that's an assumption by me about me... I don't count calories (or anything else) because I can't be bothered. That said, I have done it twice out of curiosity - I had a ~4,000cal day and a ~6,000cal day, and those weren't far out of ordinary. I'm quite sure I regularly go higher...

OP
DougKenline

DougKenline

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Nope it's only me, and I'm really bored by you now. You think you are unique but really you are just a bog standard attention seeker. Have fun, and try not to take too much of whatever you are on.

ok whoever you are, go snort some more coke......rolling my eyes........

go talk to your other cloaked identity friends who feel the need to hide behind some made up name, half of them probably work for the government and are just sitting there killing time until their shift ends anyway. and some of them are the same individual getting his rocks off thinking he's really fooling somebody.

I do like this quote you use in your signature line though, thank you.

"If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies." Moshe Dayan

I like what Gerry say about this format versus the Live Chat format.

"Live chat doesn’t allow as many participants. And you can’t catch up after you’ve been gone. It really loses a lot of chance for deep discussion."

But apparently the software will not allow me to grab his quote from another window and insert it in to this reply from this window. I like having two windows open so I can go back a few pages and read the thread in one window, the when I see something I like, Alt-tab back to this window and say something about it. Still getting used to this software. So far I'm starting to like it.

As is quite obvious from reading back in the thread, I was gunning for a Live Chat type of conversation having been in full-dive Live Chat mode with my study buddies for the last few months. When I first jumped in here and saw that there was actually some activity, I thought to myself, oh goodie, I finally found some place where I can get something close to a live chat with some Martial Arts type of folks.

I started off with a long thoughtful deep discussion kind of post and then blasted right in to Live Chat mode craving some of that good old Live Chat back and forth. But now I am starting to see that both formats have their pluses and minuses.

Like Gerry says, there are some pluses to this format. And I agree. I will think about this some more and post some more after I have thought about it some more.

Also, if I'm going to write out a longer post, I will try to see if there is some way to save a draft of my post before I hit the publish button. That way it will not go out unfinished and be constantly changing for a few minutes while I finish the post.

As you can see, I first replied to Tez3 or whoever they are, and was going to go back in to my spastic burst mode of posting, but then I started thinking about what Gerry said. So I decided I would just edit this post. So it may have changed since you last read it.

I think this format could be quite enjoyable. I'll give it some thought and come back to it again later. Perhaps a format that was a combination of this deep discussion format and the Live Chat sparring format. Where if somebody saw you were in the room, the could buzz you with a Live Chat request and you could come back with a "running late, can't now" or a "ok buddy, let's go!" reply depending on your circumstances.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions