Effective Technique

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
a17ll0.jpg

And it has more nutritional value than fresh corn, too.
I tend to agree with you great master:)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's most likely going to get you in trouble if you do it, but hitting the throat does work if you can pull it off. I like using the thumb, index and middle finger and latching on just about as high as you can get on the throat. Right around the windpipe (trachea? whatever.). If you can get behind or beside the opponent and get one hand over the top of the head and latch onto the upper part of the eye socket at the same time, they are definitely not going to like it. You've really got to have some fast hands to pull it off. Ever try snatching peas out of boiling hot water?

Er no, although I have caught flies with chop sticks. The upper part of the eye socket, did not count the eyes.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Blimey, that looks so simple, but quite deadly. The head movement I guess, but I was more along the lines of this. You have an opponent in front of you, in this case I'll use the obvious on the door scenario. No idea if this viable, I will make that clear. Right, bloke in front and getting quite close to the personal zone. You grab via the upper neck to the sides of the head.

Thinking about a little more, you put the thumbs under the front of the chin, grasp the head by the ears and lock your elbows in towards the chest. You apply pressure front to back, and the sides. Plus you have fingers free to jam into the nose. As I say, no sure if that would work. Don't have too peeps around who will let me try. And bogies on the fingers would not be pleasant :D

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what he is referring to is a rip the jaw of technique. Interesting technique theory but you must be very strong and skilled to apply it:)

No, but as a technique I knew about one, but not the name. Googling that, I found this Wiki page. Looks quite interesting, but maybe a few urban myths there. I have not known anybody that would use a bite for example.

EDIT.> forgot the linkage
Clicky

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can get behind or beside the opponent and get one hand over the top of the head and latch onto the upper part of the eye socket at the same time, they are definitely not going to like it. You've really got to have some fast hands to pull it off. Ever try snatching peas out of boiling hot water?

There is a pressure point there, but you need to keep in mind that a slight slip of the hand in that area can lead to a detached retina. Make sure you can justify blinding the guy before you try this. It might be kind of difficult to explain in court.

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
No, but as a technique I knew about one, but not the name. Googling that, I found this Wiki page. Looks quite interesting, but maybe a few urban myths there. I have not known anybody that would use a bite for example.

EDIT.> forgot the linkage
Clicky
Yeah exactly my thoughts in ending a fight as soon as possible.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blimey, that looks so simple, but quite deadly. The head movement I guess, but I was more along the lines of this. You have an opponent in front of you, in this case I'll use the obvious on the door scenario. No idea if this viable, I will make that clear. Right, bloke in front and getting quite close to the personal zone. You grab via the upper neck to the sides of the head.

Thinking about a little more, you put the thumbs under the front of the chin, grasp the head by the ears and lock your elbows in towards the chest. You apply pressure front to back, and the sides. Plus you have fingers free to jam into the nose. As I say, no sure if that would work. Don't have too peeps around who will let me try. And bogies on the fingers would not be pleasant :D

i have done it. It works ok.

i wasn't going yarghhhhhhh garhhhhhhhh At the time though.

and i don't grab the chin i grab the middle of the face.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry i have done your under the chin thumb thing without the nose. And that works ok as. Well.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You have to play close attention to the sound/kiai he's making. I figure that guy is using the Close Encounters of the Third Kind technique - (first thirty seconds of clip)

He's hitting him with all kinds of Semi-Quavers of sound. The man had NO chance.

What he's attempting to do is called bulldogging. Jaw Control in military or Law Enforcement.......but Semi-Quavers in that clip. :)

That stuff will make you quake in your boots.

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
The person on the clip is master sang h lee. I have some of his training materials when vhs was in vogue. Very good to deal with.

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is an example of a technique that is romanticized but in actuality is one used with a force multiplier. Wherein a poison that acts topically is applied with a supposed martial art technique.

In theory, it may be possible to disrupt the bodies nervous system by activating certain pressure points. So far I have only heard of legends or stories of the dim mak but no actual forensic case study. Now I could be wrong. If there is someome with first hand knowledge kindly chime in:)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an example of a technique that is romanticized but in actuality is one used with a force multiplier. Wherein a poison that acts topically is applied with a supposed martial art technique.

In theory, it may be possible to disrupt the bodies nervous system by activating certain pressure points. So far I have only heard of legends or stories of the dim mak but no actual forensic case study. Now I could be wrong. If there is someome with first hand knowledge kindly chime in:)

Only seen that a Donny Yen movie. Vegus? nerve got wacked and then good night Vienna.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only seen that a Donny Yen movie. Vegus? nerve got wacked and then good night Vienna.

You've never seen anybody dropped by a shot to the solar plexus? That's what you're doing there; stimulating the vagus nerve, which can cause (amoung other things) the diaphragm to spasm, the stomach to spasm and the heart rate and blood pressure to drop. These responses cause you to (in order) get the wind knocked out of you, puke, and pass out.
Even clenching the abdominal muscles can stimulate the vagus. There's a not at all uncommon thing called bathroom syncope. It's people passing out because they're straining to poop, which stimulates the vagus, and down they go.
Pressure points work. As with most things, they don't work as they're portrayed in the movies, but they do work.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've never seen anybody dropped by a shot to the solar plexus? That's what you're doing there; stimulating the vagus nerve, which can cause (amoung other things) the diaphragm to spasm, the stomach to spasm and the heart rate and blood pressure to drop. These responses cause you to (in order) get the wind knocked out of you, puke, and pass out.
Even clenching the abdominal muscles can stimulate the vagus. There's a not at all uncommon thing called bathroom syncope. It's people passing out because they're straining to poop, which stimulates the vagus, and down they go.
Pressure points work. As with most things, they don't work as they're portrayed in the movies, but they do work.

I'm sure I must, but genuinely don't remember one instance at the moment. My knowledge on the vagus nerve is only from what I saw in a movie. Thanks for the info.

Latest Discussions