Effective Technique

OP
tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
That is why you train just in case. Yeah the law can really muck you up when you had to do what you have to do to defebd yoyrself or your loved ones, but when push comes to shove....

When you do gouge eyes, kick the privates, break bones wherever those bones are without provocation....that is a whole different world.

Makes us really aware of the responsibilities we as martial artists have.

That is why as much as possible it is always best to stay out of trouble.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, I don't agree. But that is just my belief that the eyes are a no no. Anyway, I have given advice to women to grab for the bollocks. Even grab or kick. This came from my ex head doorwomen. As far as I am concerned, and no disrespectful attitude here, her voice is sound. It is reprehensible ;)
I wouldn't give that advice to anyone. Groin grab without a huge yank probably isn't going to work. As for going for the eyes. Ask any woman if she was about to be raped and possibly killed if she would prefer that to surviving relatively unscathed and living with the knowledge that she blinded her potential killer. I reckon I know the answer already.

So with no knowledge of your lady of the door, her advice might well be fine for the door but that advice has no place on the street.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh blinking hell, would you please stop blinding me with BJJ terminology :) Please. 3 - 5 seconds, that sounds like impossible to me. That quick would suggest a neck break.

3-5 seconds is an entirely reasonable time frame. Seriously.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

then there is enough case law to guarantee a punch kills you. You may want to re think your evidence there.

i am not saying that it is impossible to take a guys eye out.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure I admit, I have never taken out anyone's eyes. Then again I have never popped an eardrum, I have never broken anyone's arm, I have never dislocated anyone's shoulder and I have never broken anyone's neck either. I have never shot anyone and I have never used a knife on anyone.

That doesn't mean I haven't been taught to do all of those things.

I have also trained to put my aircraft down in an emergency. Fortunately I haven't had to use that skill but it worked for my wife when she needed it. We trained what to do in an underwater emergency, never expecting to use it. The training worked in zero visibility in a silted up submarine. It worked again when my wife's air supply failed at 25 metres.

But I suppose martial arts are different. Nothing we train will work if we haven't already used it in real life. Have I got that right?

if you do not train evidence based. You will develop inconsistencies and create misconceptions. Like you have now. You will pass on those misconceptions to the people you train. They will create their own and pass them on. From a small flaw in your untested theory. You will have a much bigger problem later on.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
then there is enough case law to guarantee a punch kills you. You may want to re think your evidence there.

i am not saying that it is impossible to take a guys eye out.
Then I ask you to provide any evidence to support your claim. Without searching I would suggest there is not only no case law of the kind but as we all know, there is no guarantee that one punch will kill. There is ample evidence to show that a person can die or suffer permanent disability as a result of a punch. Even then, it is not normally the punch that kills but the damage caused by the head hitting the ground.

So if there is 'case law' backing your claim it should be easy to find. Do you actually understand what case law is? At this stage in Australia there are new laws on one punch to try to stem the violence but much less case law. Very few cases have gone to court and until there are more with the associated appeals going to higher courts you haven't any case law.

So returning to my 'guarantee'. There is case law in the case of eye gouging and those convicted went to jail. That provides the precedent for future cases.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then I ask you to provide any evidence to support your claim. Without searching I would suggest there is not only no case law of the kind but as we all know, there is no guarantee that one punch will kill. There is ample evidence to show that a person can die or suffer permanent disability as a result of a punch. Even then, it is not normally the punch that kills but the damage caused by the head hitting the ground.

So if there is 'case law' backing your claim it should be easy to find. Do you actually understand what case law is? At this stage in Australia there are new laws on one punch to try to stem the violence but much less case law. Very few cases have gone to court and until there are more with the associated appeals going to higher courts you haven't any case law.

So returning to my 'guarantee'. There is case law in the case of eye gouging and those convicted went to jail. That provides the precedent for future cases.

ao you are saying i cant find three cases where a person died from a punch?

which is apparently enough evidence to suggest that it is not a punch unless they die. Mabye a fist poke or something.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if you do not train evidence based. You will develop inconsistencies and create misconceptions. Like you have now. You will pass on those misconceptions to the people you train. They will create their own and pass them on. From a small flaw in your untested theory. You will have a much bigger problem later on.
Please state what you believe is the misconception. You are speaking in riddles and making no sense.

You have no formal MA training yet you know more than those of us who have trained for decades. How does that work?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ao you are saying i cant find three cases where a person died from a punch?

which is apparently enough evidence to suggest that it is not a punch unless they die. Mabye a fist poke or something.
Not at all. You claimed there was case law to support your case. So where is it? Newspaper reports are sufficient.

And again, your second sentence makes no sense at all.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please state what you believe is the misconception. You are speaking in riddles and making no sense.

You have no formal MA training yet you know more than those of us who have trained for decades. How does that work?

ok. That a really hard correctly applied frontal choke is as easy to get out of as you believe.

i suggest you may have gotten out of a light choke not applied with intent. Which is easy.

You have no formal MA training yet you know more than those of us who have trained for decades. How does that work?[/QUOTE]

ok. That a really hard correctly applied frontal choke is as easy to get out of as you believe.

i suggest you may have gotten out of a light choke not applied with real intent.

"You have no formal MA training yet you know more than those of us who have trained for decades. How does that work"

honestly that would be your issue to address as i said. There is nothing i can do about that.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
See i would have said a person who does not have practical experience with eye gouging does not understand it.

but then i don't have a qualification i just have done it had it done to me and worked with guys who have done it and had it done to them.
What's to understand? Stick finger in eye, pull finger out, not much more than that really.

Latest Discussions