Effective Technique

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
On the contrary, Spokane Police has a real bad reputation for helping people commit suicide. Local Tribal Authorities are helping them to stop that crap; so, you anecdotal experience is just that.
What? Where is the pancake bunny

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What? Where is the pancake bunny
OK buddy. Take it easy. I'm here.
image.jpg

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you practice something you use only one percent of the time, you will be tempted to use it in more cases. There is a moral issue here. You are playing to close to the tree of knowledge, there Eve. LOL

I disagree. I believe what you are saying only is the case if I train eye gouging as an instinctual response to being attacked. Attacks to the eyes are trained strategically not instinctually. Just because I know a target is available does not mean I will immediately seize it.

Also "Eve"?o_O
no i would have called that your Frankenstein choke.

c choke is one handed. Anchored on either like a Thai grapple or a wrestling clinch. And in my case i cut in behind the wind pipe so that i have a better handle.

so you grab a bit further back. Slide the fingers forward across the neck. Which gives you some slack in the skin. The shoot your fingers forwards again behind the wind pipe and try to make them touch. (which you can get pretty close)

I'm sorry. I still have a difficult time imagining the situation you described. Could you post a video of what you are talking about, or if you already did that, point out where the example was?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you for clearing it up and providing that example again.

I would disagree with the effectiveness of the hold; it could be "paralyzing" to those who are not used to such aggression, but there are numerous simple defenses to break that grip so long as one does not panic.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for clearing it up and providing that example again.

I would disagree with the effectiveness of the hold; it could be "paralyzing" to those who are not used to such aggression, but there are numerous simple defenses to break that grip so long as one does not panic.

what would those defences be?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The human mind is the first line of defense. It called flight or fight! Everything flows from there. Defense is individual. Technique applied from there.
That's a great post and response, it's something which I completely agree with but also totally disagree with at the same time!! : ) Nice one!

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So do you mean that one still has to be in the zone via training?
No I didn't but that actually can often be the case (so good point), not for everyone, some people this comes naturally to, for whatever reason (maybe the environment they grew up in or maybe "just because") and some people struggle with this immensely. For most training so that one is prepared on both a physical/technique level and mental level/mind-set (which is what I take from your reference to "in the zone") is needed or at least goes a long way to make their self defence actions effective and successful.

I agreed with you in that the mind is the best defence one has.

I agreed with the "defense is individual" in that it will always come down to the individual. But the response itself may not be so individual at all (as Bruce Lee said, possibly quoting someone else in turn, "we all have only two arms and two legs").

I disagreed because (as said above), for most, unless they have trained in effective techniques to negate such a choke, the "fight or flight" and "everything flowing from there" just won't cut it on its own. And the technique that is applied needs to be effective and the appropriate one(s) for the situation.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I didn't but that actually can often be the case (so good point), not for everyone, some people this comes naturally to, for whatever reason (maybe the environment they grew up in or maybe "just because") and some people struggle with this immensely. For most training so that one is prepared on both a physical/technique level and mental level/mind-set (which is what I take from your reference to "in the zone") is needed or at least goes a long way to make their self defence actions effective and successful.

I agreed with you in that the mind is the best defence one has.

I agreed with the "defense is individual" in that it will always come down to the individual. But the response itself may not be so individual at all (as Bruce Lee said, possibly quoting someone else in turn, "we all have only two arms and two legs").

I disagreed because (as said above), for most, unless they have trained in effective techniques to negate such a choke, the "fight or flight" and "everything flowing from there" just won't cut it on its own. And the technique that is applied needs to be effective and the appropriate one(s) for the situation.

Yeah cool Zero. I see what you mean now. Thankyou for explaining that, you very knowledgeable to me. I have gaps obviously, but you're replied provide that bridge as it were.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Learn not to piss off the cops. :)
Actually if you piss off a cop enough, you can walk on the crime. I don't commit a whole tot of crime, but I have a close relative that swallowed the Key to his car and laughed at the cops. They got so mad and broke into his car to find POUNDS of drugs, but to bad they were so mad, he was only out the cost of the drugs.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh blinking hell, would you please stop blinding me with BJJ terminology :) Please. 3 - 5 seconds, that sounds like impossible to me. That quick would suggest a neck break.

Trust me, it can definitely happen that fast. Seen it many times.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trust me, it can definitely happen that fast. Seen it many times.

Yeah no, as with DD, I don't disagree. Never been in that position before. Was a bit hard to visualize. Been in plenty of head locks, but no where near peeps know. It is food for though, so I have at least had another little snippet come my way. So I find that pleasing.

Latest Discussions