Diet

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes it's a simplification, but only because it doesn't account for a 'modern' diet.

A proper balanced diet and it works. The trouble is, and why nutritionists and the like are needed, because anything is available all year round in such quantity (and low quality) people just don't understand by themselves.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's a gross over simplification, there would be no need for nutricionist and diet experts, if there calories in/ out model was correct.

For a start most of the people I know who do manual labour are over weight, whilst karren who works in accounts is thin as a lat.

I have a fat friend, she has been on a diet for as long as I've known her, over ten years, sh e swims 50 lenths a day and eats next to nothing she is fatter now than when I met her.

Some people are programmed to store fat, not left over energy, the first thing their body does it make fat, then they have to get u on what is left, it's an evolutionational neccesisity that some humans survive the famine, thats there job, whilst other are designed to chase wilderbeasts,o they are fat by design
Nb, I've spent a bit chunk of my life being both a sloth and a glutton and I still couldnt get fat, seems I'm a wilderbeast chaser

I'm just tucking in to my nightly litre of choc chip ice cream 2000_ calories
It's an oversimplification, but it makes a valid point. The calories in/out model isn't entirely useless. Most folks (not all) can lose some weight by reducing their intake below their output, especially reducing calorie-dense (and empty calorie) foods. There's certainly more to it than that, but that much is relevant. Activity level (more accurately, perhaps, sedentary level) seems to also play a large role. Then, of course, there's genetics - and we know now that genetics is not a steady-state issue, as existing genes can be turned on and off by circumstances.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
It can also be programmed in childhood...

An active child stands a lower chance of adult obesity than a sedentary one, even if their adult lifestyles are similar - and a chubby kid will have a hard time losing fat later in life.

Even after everything I've said, I still believe that diet is secondary to exercise. But, the right type at the right intensity.

The aforementioned fat swimmer - those 50 lengths a day aren't doing the job because it's normal for her. To do 50 lengths you have to be a reasonably good swimmer and those 50 are probably less of a challenge to her than one single length is to me (I'm a crap swimmer, I'm knackered after half a length). She needs to push herself to a challenge. Do 100. Do 173. Do it to failure and do different strokes. I bet she's not even tired after those 50 lengths.

It's like the people who go to the gym before work - if they were really pushing themselves they wouldn't make it to work.

I'll also bet that if you stick her on a spin bike and get her to do that until she can't stand, every day, she'd lose weight. That's because it's a type and intensity she's not accustomed to.

Basically, if you want to burn fat you have to burn it, not hope it smoulders away.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It can also be programmed in childhood...

An active child stands a lower chance of adult obesity than a sedentary one, even if their adult lifestyles are similar - and a chubby kid will have a hard time losing fat later in life.

Even after everything I've said, I still believe that diet is secondary to exercise. But, the right type at the right intensity.

The aforementioned fat swimmer - those 50 lengths a day aren't doing the job because it's normal for her. To do 50 lengths you have to be a reasonably good swimmer and those 50 are probably less of a challenge to her than one single length is to me (I'm a crap swimmer, I'm knackered after half a length). She needs to push herself to a challenge. Do 100. Do 173. Do it to failure and do different strokes. I bet she's not even tired after those 50 lengths.

It's like the people who go to the gym before work - if they were really pushing themselves they wouldn't make it to work.

I'll also bet that if you stick her on a spin bike and get her to do that until she can't stand, every day, she'd lose weight. That's because it's a type and intensity she's not accustomed to.

Basically, if you want to burn fat you have to burn it, not hope it smoulders away.
It's a 61v YO fat woman, you want her to go on a spin bike till she falls over, yes that should cure the weight issue, of course high intensity exercise doesn't burn fat, long low intensity exercises does, like swimming50 lengths

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's an oversimplification, but it makes a valid point. The calories in/out model isn't entirely useless. Most folks (not all) can lose some weight by reducing their intake below their output, especially reducing calorie-dense (and empty calorie) foods. There's certainly more to it than that, but that much is relevant. Activity level (more accurately, perhaps, sedentary level) seems to also play a large role. Then, of course, there's genetics - and we know now that genetics is not a steady-state issue, as existing genes can be turned on and off by circumstances.
fat genes can turn on and off?????? Like eye colour and height I suppose !

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a 61v YO fat woman, you want her to go on a spin bike till she falls over, yes that should cure the weight issue, of course high intensity exercise doesn't burn fat, long low intensity exercises does, like swimming50 lengths

If you never leave your comfort zone then long low intensity exercise won't significantly reduce body fat, if at all.

For proof, ask a fat swimmer...

Long medium intensity works, something like HIIT (done properly) works better.

To really burn off fat you've already got laid down you need to put real effort in, and honestly for a good swimmer (with good consistent technique) 50 leisurely lengths is less effort than a Sunday afternoon stroll.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you never leave your comfort zone then long low intensity exercise won't significantly reduce body fat, if at all.

For proof, ask a fat swimmer...

Long medium intensity works, something like HIIT (done properly) works better.

To really burn off fat you've already got laid down you need to put real effort in, and honestly for a good swimmer (with good consistent technique) 50 leisurely lengths is less effort than a Sunday afternoon stroll.
That makes no sence,c for a start she is hardly aerodynamic, but walking swimming running burns the same calories if you are good at walking swimming or running or not what does make a difference is your body weight, walking running or swimming at 18 stone will burn More calories that if you are 13 stone, so fat people don't need to walk run or or swim as far or as fast to burn more calories

If you accept there are thin people who don't put weight on no matter what they do or don't do( like me) then you also have to accept there are fat people who don't lose weight no matter what they do or don't do.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fat genes can turn on and off?????? Like eye colour and height I suppose !
Eye color and height are not among the genes that turn on and off, so far as I know (though I did read a report of a person with multiple personalities whose eye color changed). Genes that control metabolism, however, are among those that change. Height genes may be affected by famine - there’s evidence that a single episode of famine can affect generations that way.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes no sence,c for a start she is hardly aerodynamic, but walking swimming running burns the same calories if you are good at walking swimming or running or not what does make a difference is your body weight, walking running or swimming at 18 stone will burn More calories that if you are 13 stone, so fat people don't need to walk run or or swim as far or as fast to burn more calories

If you accept there are thin people who don't put weight on no matter what they do or don't do( like me) then you also have to accept there are fat people who don't lose weight no matter what they do or don't do.
Muscle efficiency (the neurological adaptation) may play a part in the response.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes it's a simplification, but only because it doesn't account for a 'modern' diet.

A proper balanced diet and it works. The trouble is, and why nutritionists and the like are needed, because anything is available all year round in such quantity (and low quality) people just don't understand by themselves.

Your first point is, that burn more than you consume and you lose weight. Then this only works if you have a balanced diet, why it should work with any diet if it works at all and then,,,, that burning more than you eat is so complicated people can't understand it, I think most people can grasp that concept , the problem is that it doesn't actually work that way, that's why you need " experts"

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Eye color and height are not among the genes that turn on and off, so far as I know (though I did read a report of a person with multiple personalities whose eye color changed). Genes that control metabolism, however, are among those that change. Height genes may be affected by famine - there’s evidence that a single episode of famine can affect generations that way.
i think you have been watching to many Stephen king films.

So what genes are you claiming switch on and off then ?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think you have been watching to many Stephen king films.

So what genes are you claiming switch on and off then ?
I'd have to go back and look at the reports. I'm claiming nothing - I'm referring to the result of actual scientific research.

Meanwhile, you're trying really hard to start an argument.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ta, I'm have a Read when it cools down, we are having a Beat wave here, it's only three weeks ago we were having an artIc wind thAt froze my lips solid
Weather there sounds crazier than here, and that's saying something this year. Stay warm, or cool, or something, man.

IvanTheBrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dear Martial artist,

I have been wondering what a good diet is. I have noticed my body feels very indifferent when I eat chips or ice and I do not eat them daily. But, I feel I am very allergic to them. I am searching for healthy alternatives what's good for my body. I am practicing Martial Arts for a half year and I also meditate by daily basis. Twenty minutes in the morning and twenty minutes before I go to sleep.I feel what I eat is very important of how I feel and I noticed a lot of craving for sweetness.

What do you guys eat? What kind of healthy recipes do you have? What diet do you follow?

Depends on what the results you're looking for. I recommend the Lazar Angelov meal plan. Three months of that and it'll sort you right out. If you're looking to stop eating something specific, the best option is always Cold Turkey. Just stop eating it. Right now. Your cravings should fade in 72 hours. Protein supplements before you go to bed and/or after a workout is best for bulking up on muscle. Creatine (NOT A STEROID, IT'S NATURAL FOUND IN FISH AND EGGS) is a very good extra boost for muscle growth, best taken in powder form. It hasn't proved to be harmful in any way unless taken as a pill but that's because the pill has added stuff.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Creatine (NOT A STEROID, IT'S NATURAL FOUND IN FISH AND EGGS) is a very good extra boost for muscle growth, best taken in powder form. It hasn't proved to be harmful in any way unless taken as a pill but that's because the pill has added stuff.

While it is natural it also doesn't work for everyone as the body can just flush the extra away as they are fully 'stocked' on creatine anyway. Those who eat a lot of red meat for example have plenty of creatine stored so taking extra would be pointless.You do also have to take it correctly at the right part of your workouts etc. we have some fighter who use it to great effect others who don't find it does anything for you. so read the instructions for taking and stick to them.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on what the results you're looking for. I recommend the Lazar Angelov meal plan. Three months of that and it'll sort you right out. If you're looking to stop eating something specific, the best option is always Cold Turkey. Just stop eating it. Right now. Your cravings should fade in 72 hours. Protein supplements before you go to bed and/or after a workout is best for bulking up on muscle. Creatine (NOT A STEROID, IT'S NATURAL FOUND IN FISH AND EGGS) is a very good extra boost for muscle growth, best taken in powder form. It hasn't proved to be harmful in any way unless taken as a pill but that's because the pill has added stuff.
There's really no need to get involv d with protein supliment , particularly not very expensive ones unless your are involved at the very ragged end ( Ie steroid use ) of bodybuilding or there is something very wrong with your diet.

Half a gram per pound of body weight per day is more than enough for very very Hard training active people, and far to much for most of us and that easily obtainable from your food. If you really want a protein influx a pint of milk will deliver a quick 25 grams Or do ,as a bed time drink

Otherwis your just making expensive wee

IvanTheBrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There's really no need to get involv d with protein supliment , particularly not very expensive ones unless your are involved at the very ragged end ( Ie steroid use ) of bodybuilding or there is something very wrong with your diet.

Half a gram per pound of body weight per day is more than enough for very very Hard training active people, and far to much for most of us and that easily obtainable from your food. If you really want a protein influx a pint of milk will deliver a quick 25 grams Or do ,as a bed time drink

Otherwis your just making expensive wee
For starters, the idea that that the body can only take a maximum of 30g is a myth started early on in the USA when they were building up their military. Their RTEs (Ready to eat meals) were packed with ~30g of protein and were being provided by a supplier, who for simplicity's sake I will call Supplier A. Later on another Supplier, Supplier B, started making RTEs but with more protein for the same price. Supplier A saw this a threat to business, so to keep the military from buying RTEs from Supplier B, it stated on the news that the body can only take 30g of protein anyway. It's complete crap. After thousands of years of evolution, the human body wouldn't reject protein at just 30g of day, especially considering protein is one of the most important things the body needs to grow.
I can't find the source of where I read the info on the origin of this myth, but here is a link supporting my claim that this is just a MYTH: Exposing The Myths About Protein!

Latest Discussions