Diet

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had to chop off about 8 kilos in a couple of months for a jits comp I was doing.

Basically if it looked like salad. I ate it.

Mostly.
Breakfast was porridge.

Lunch was chicken and vegies.

Afternoon snack was 2 boiled eggs and some almonds.

Tea was meat and salad.

Supper was a glass of milk.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been on the Multiple Medicinal diet. It's working quite well.

It consists of multiple breakfasts, Italian food, fish, chicken, soups, salads, ice creams, pies and pizzas. Italian food, pie, ice cream and pizza are not technically foods. They are medicines and should be taken on a full stomach.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I honestly can't get behind any diet that excludes an entire food group or multiple groups. But then - I am EXTREMELY biased when it comes to all things food. I grew up in the Soviet Union and spent a lot of time standing in line to get food and then trying to make it edible. So, now that I live in the States, I just love everything that's available. Even after 23 years in this country, I still don't think I tried everything there is to try. :)

Jokes aside, what we know about nutrition and physiology is - there is no magic pill. There is no one ultimate diet that works perfectly for everyone 100% of time. We are all different. We all have our quirks. We are all influenced by a great variety of factors: our genes, our environment, where we were born and grew up, what you do, what you used to do, where you live, and how high your stress level is. Some diets, including vegetarian and vegan, work wonderfully well for some people, work meh for others, and actually turn out to be harmful for yet others. The one universal trait nutritionists keep coming back to is - moderation. Anything used excessively can kill you - even spinach. If a diet feels like torture - you are probably not getting as much benefit out of it, because the stress level produced by the struggle and the associated physiological reaction could be jeopardizing the positive effects.

And remember - potassium cyanide is organic and fat free. Doesn't make it very good for you. ;)

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been on the Multiple Medicinal diet. It's working quite well.

It consists of multiple breakfasts, Italian food, fish, chicken, soups, salads, ice creams, pies and pizzas. Italian food, pie, ice cream and pizza are not technically foods. They are medicines and should be taken on a full stomach.
I like this approach.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Martial artist,

I have been wondering what a good diet is. I have noticed my body feels very indifferent when I eat chips or ice and I do not eat them daily. But, I feel I am very allergic to them. I am searching for healthy alternatives what's good for my body. I am practicing Martial Arts for a half year and I also meditate by daily basis. Twenty minutes in the morning and twenty minutes before I go to sleep.I feel what I eat is very important of how I feel and I noticed a lot of craving for sweetness.

What do you guys eat? What kind of healthy recipes do you have? What diet do you follow?
Personally, I completly avoid certain foods such as:

-Potatoes
-Chocolate
-Coffee
-Alcohol
-Sugar
-Soft Drinks
-Bread
-Sweets
-Dairy (except yogurt)

And I base my diet around:

-Vegetables
-Meat
-Fish
-Nuts / Oats
-Rice / Pasta
-Eggs
-Yogurt
-Water / Tea

I keep my weight between 150-155 lbs

My macro breakdown is usually:
-40% Protein
-40% Fat
-20% Carbs

Typical Training Day:

Breakfast (6 AM)
-1 Cup Oatmeal with Almonds & Yogurt
-3 hard boiled eggs

Lunch (2PM)
-12oz Steak
-1 Cup Chickpeas
-1 Cup Spinach

Dinner (10 PM)
-1 plate of Pasta with red sauce
-2 grilled Italian sausages
-1/2 Cup almonds
-1 apple
-tea

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

-Potatoes
-Chocolate
-Coffee
-Alcohol
-Sugar
-Soft Drinks
-Bread
-Sweets
-Dairy (except yogurt)

-Vegetables
-Meat
-Fish
-Nuts / Oats
-Rice / Pasta
-Eggs
-Yogurt
-Water / Tea

-40% Protein
-40% Fat
-20% Carbs

Typical Training Day:

Breakfast (6 AM)
-3 hard boiled eggs

Lunch (2PM)
-12oz Steak
-1 Cup Chickpeas
-1 Cup Spinach

Dinner (10 PM)
-1/2 Cup almonds
-1 apple
-tea
You are a strong man. I veer toward quality ingredients and veggies too, but I couldn't give up coffee in a million years. Or chocolate. And very likely not alcohol. I consider it a compensation for not going to prison - for if I were to go to work without coffee, there would surely be murder. :)

Question - are you not concerned about having dinner so late? I am not criticizing - just curious. Also, if you train actively through the course of the day, do you have any snacks between meals, since you have such long intervals? One of my favorite snacks is sunflower and pumpkin seeds, roasted unsalted and mixed with dried raisins, cranberries, or currants.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You are a strong man. I veer toward quality ingredients and veggies too, but I couldn't give up coffee in a million years. Or chocolate. And very likely not alcohol. I consider it a compensation for not going to prison - for if I were to go to work without coffee, there would surely be murder. :)

Question - are you not concerned about having dinner so late? I am not criticizing - just curious. Also, if you train actively through the course of the day, do you have any snacks between meals, since you have such long intervals? One of my favorite snacks is sunflower and pumpkin seeds, roasted unsalted and mixed with dried raisins, cranberries, or currants.
I used to drink plenty coffee but I gave it up as it made me jittery. I prefer tea now. Chocolate and alcohol both give me a massive headache. I say listen to your body. The reason I eat when I do is I train from 5-9:30 so I eat at 10 out of necessity. I usually don't go to bed till 11 so I'm still up for a bit after. I personally have no problems with it. I say again, listen to your body. I don't snack, I just eat 3 meals and don't eat in between unless I feel hungry, which I usually don't. I use MyFitnessPal to track my calories everyday.

Picture your health as a 3-D triangular pyramid. One side is your cardiovascular fitness. Another is your muscular strength and endurance. Another is your flexibility and agility. The base of it all is your diet. Listen to your body after you eat. 99% of people's bodies tell them that they feel terrible after eating chips. Instead of listening to their body, they ignore it and have bloated distended stomachs, and a whole load of problems medically.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to drink plenty coffee but I gave it up as it made me jittery. I prefer tea now. Chocolate and alcohol both give me a massive headache. I say listen to your body. The reason I eat when I do is I train from 5-9:30 so I eat at 10 out of necessity. I usually don't go to bed till 11 so I'm still up for a bit after. I personally have no problems with it. I say again, listen to your body. I don't snack, I just eat 3 meals and don't eat in between unless I feel hungry, which I usually don't. I use MyFitnessPal to track my calories everyday.

I use my Fitbit app to track foods - I think it's a great idea! It really grounds you, doesn't it? It also creates a habit for REALLY paying attention what you eat and how much.

99% of people's bodies tell them that they feel terrible after eating chips. Instead of listening to their body, they ignore it and have bloated distended stomachs, and a whole load of problems medically.
That is very true. Growing up, I didn't have too many choices food-wise (Soviet Union - wopeee!) and had to eat what was placed in front of me - anything else would have been dreadfully disrespectful considering how much effort went into finding, buying, and cooking food. So, stomach issues, cramps, and irregularities were common. In addition, we were plagued by annual periods of severe vitamin deficiency, causing bouts of scurvy, especially to children. The last but not the least, there were epidemics related to poor food safety and sanitation.

Being in the States makes a HUGE difference. As you said, I now have the luxury of listening to how I react to various foods and making choices accordingly.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

-Potatoes
-Chocolate
-Coffee
-Alcohol
-Sugar
-Soft Drinks
-Bread
-Sweets
-Dairy (except yogurt)

-Vegetables
-Meat
-Fish
-Nuts / Oats
-Rice / Pasta
-Eggs
-Yogurt
-Water / Tea

-40% Protein
-40% Fat
-20% Carbs

Typical Training Day:

Breakfast (6 AM)
-3 hard boiled eggs

Lunch (2PM)
-12oz Steak
-1 Cup Chickpeas
-1 Cup Spinach

Dinner (10 PM)
-1/2 Cup almonds
-1 apple
-tea

I usually avoid foods I don't like the taste of. I like most potato based foods and snacks, I like bread, I like coffee, I like alcohol in moderation.

I have no idea what a macro breakdown actually is, much less how to work it out.

I view 'all you can eat' meals at a restaurant as a personal challenge.

I have no clue how many calories I consume on an average day.

I train a minimum of 3 times a week, and my job is relatively manual.

My weight has been 145-155lbs for the last 20 years or so...

I can outdo a lot of people half my age :D

Works for me.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i have a weight problem, that is if I'm not careful i drop to my natural weight of about 170 lbs, where as i like to be at 200 lbs,

I've been on a diet for the last 3months

breakfast, a pint of full cream milk, 600 cal

lunch another pint of milk 600 cal

dinner a fry up 8 bacon four eggs, 6 fried tomato's bread and butter and,a pint of milk, 1600 cals
afters- a litre of,choc chip ice,cream, 1000 cal.

supper, a pint of milk and two shredded wheat, 1000 cals

result only 10lbs gained, , going to up the,amount of choc chip i can't drink any more milk

Last edited:

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been reading more and more about diet, weight loss, and so on. Two really good books are GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES and WHY WE GET FAT, both by Gary Taubes. He proposes some interesting ideas and debunks a lot of myths/misconceptions, or at least casts serious doubt on them.

For example, the idea that we need to burn more calories than we consume does not make sense. Have you ever heard the phrase "I really worked up an appetite?" This is not an exaggeration. Just think of an accountant who can go by on 1500 calories per day, but a lumberjack needs to consume something to the tune of 5000.

We are told gluttony and sloth are why we get fat, when the reality is how our bodies choose to burn or store fat. That is what Taubes argues. By the end of these books, he had me convinced.

mrt2

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've been reading more and more about diet, weight loss, and so on. Two really good books are GOOD CALORIES, BAD CALORIES and WHY WE GET FAT, both by Gary Taubes. He proposes some interesting ideas and debunks a lot of myths/misconceptions, or at least casts serious doubt on them.

For example, the idea that we need to burn more calories than we consume does not make sense. Have you ever heard the phrase "I really worked up an appetite?" This is not an exaggeration. Just think of an accountant who can go by on 1500 calories per day, but a lumberjack needs to consume something to the tune of 5000.

We are told gluttony and sloth are why we get fat, when the reality is how our bodies choose to burn or store fat. That is what Taubes argues. By the end of these books, he had me convinced.

Convinced of what? That people who do hard physical labor can eat more than people who work in offices? What does he propose as a solution for the fat office worker, other than eating less, and less high calorie foods especially?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Convinced of what? That people who do hard physical labor can eat more than people who work in offices? What does he propose as a solution for the fat office worker, other than eating less, and less high calorie foods especially?

I said it right there before I wrote I was convinced. It says, "We are told gluttony and sloth are why we get fat, when the reality is how our bodies choose to burn or store fat."

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

And if you want to know what he proposed, read the book. I'm not about to quote the whole thing here. :)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

To maintain your weight you need to put in as much energy as you take out - the idea behind burning more than you eat is for weight loss, not maintenance.

Take that lumberjack and restrict him to 1500cal/day but keep his activity level the same - he'll lose weight, quickly, as his body uses whatever reserves it can find internally to make up the deficit. Keep him on that for long though and he'll lose the ability to function.

Take the accountant and give him 5000cal/day - he'll get fat, quickly, because his activity level isn't using the fuel so his body will store it.

What you need to consider is why your body chooses to do what it does with the energy provided. If you're a slothful glutton you have no choice whatsoever except to get fat. That's because your body has no real plan to deal with excess energy other than "I'll save that for later".

You have the power to influence your body's decision with what to do though - if you burn more than you eat it will find the deficit internally, if you eat more than you burn it'll save it for later (whether later ever comes is up to you).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To maintain your weight you need to put in as much energy as you take out - the idea behind burning more than you eat is for weight loss, not maintenance.

Take that lumberjack and restrict him to 1500cal/day but keep his activity level the same - he'll lose weight, quickly, as his body uses whatever reserves it can find internally to make up the deficit. Keep him on that for long though and he'll lose the ability to function.

Take the accountant and give him 5000cal/day - he'll get fat, quickly, because his activity level isn't using the fuel so his body will store it.

What you need to consider is why your body chooses to do what it does with the energy provided. If you're a slothful glutton you have no choice whatsoever except to get fat. That's because your body has no real plan to deal with excess energy other than "I'll save that for later".

You have the power to influence your body's decision with what to do though - if you burn more than you eat it will find the deficit internally, if you eat more than you burn it'll save it for later (whether later ever comes is up to you).
that's a gross over simplification, there would be no need for nutricionist and diet experts, if there calories in/ out model was correct.

For a start most of the people I know who do manual labour are over weight, whilst karren who works in accounts is thin as a lat.

I have a fat friend, she has been on a diet for as long as I've known her, over ten years, sh e swims 50 lenths a day and eats next to nothing she is fatter now than when I met her.

Some people are programmed to store fat, not left over energy, the first thing their body does it make fat, then they have to get u on what is left, it's an evolutionational neccesisity that some humans survive the famine, thats there job, whilst other are designed to chase wilderbeasts,o they are fat by design
Nb, I've spent a bit chunk of my life being both a sloth and a glutton and I still couldnt get fat, seems I'm a wilderbeast chaser

I'm just tucking in to my nightly litre of choc chip ice cream 2000_ calories

Last edited:

Latest Discussions