Dan-Gun

Rabbitthekitten

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Right. This pattern. When you do the double fist block when you spin around.

I always do it wrong. My feet are perfect. My hands are just completely wrong.

Any tips?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are referring to move # 9 Twin outer forearm block (also #11) this is a common issue if you find your hand positions reversed. Trying to use the the lead hand for the rising block and rear hand for the outer forearm block . Think of Chamber like this. After the turn with feet side by side facing the rear (C) the lead arm (Left for #9) is Palm toward you with forearm vertical closest to the body with right arm forearm horizontal palm toward further from the body, you making a "+" sign. Then as you step the led arm moves away with the fist following a horizontal plane making an outer forearm block, and the other arm performing a rising block with outer forearm. This is a better video overall but does not show the detail you need for this block.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can now do the first block correctly.

But still not the second.

I'll get there.
There is something called proprioception. The brains ability t know where in space limbs are without looking. Different people have different levels / abilities. For some it takes longer. One work around is to look at the limb(s). So look at how you chamber / beginning position for the block until it becomes habit.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is something called proprioception. The brains ability t know where in space limbs are without looking. Different people have different levels / abilities. For some it takes longer. One work around is to look at the limb(s). So look at how you chamber / beginning position for the block until it becomes habit.
I'd suggest stopping, asking what you think is going on, then looking. I find students too often look at the limbs without first "feeling" where they are, which robs you of the chance to train proprioception through the process. Also, stopping to "feel" the position first ensures you don't look while you're moving, which will change other mechanics.

Latest Discussions