Double-fist block

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This spelling (and if you pronounce it like that) is definitely incorrect! In Korean it's 막기 which would be romanised as mak-gi, your version would be 마기 which would be more like "smashing", "hitting", "crushing", "breaking".
'마기' doesn't mean any of those.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Indeed, in this case though, the spelling mahki, may mean 맣기 which would be pronounced more like 마키 (the aspirated batchim becomes an aspirated initial consonant of the next syllable)
It wouldn't. It's the same as a Japanese まっぎ pronounciation. 막기 just sounds like 막기.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
By the way, if there's a Korean speaker who's reading this who would like to translate the wikia diagrams into Korean, I'm more than happy to email the raw PowerPoint files for editing. They're all licensed under Creative Commons so they're freely distributable.
Yeah, I have free time for it, send them if you want.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, RTKDCMB, that's the one we call Kara Momtong Makgi. If it was down low it would be Kara Arae Makgi.
Now that I know what you are talking about I can answer your question; We just call it a double forearm block and the low one we call low section double forearm block We don't use the Korean terms for either of those.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think he's referring to this one.

latest
We don't use that version, we have the blocking arm upside down and block with the inner forearm.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We don't use that version, we have the blocking arm upside down and block with the inner forearm.

Are you saying that in Palgwae Oh Jang, when you first start coming back from the second line, you do the blocking-arm at middle-height with the blocking arm upside down (in other words, a middle-section inner-forearm outside block)? Interesting! Like the OP, we do a augmented low block with the outer-forearm.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you saying that in Palgwae Oh Jang, when you first start coming back from the second line, you do the blocking-arm at middle-height with the blocking arm upside down (in other words, a middle-section inner-forearm outside block)?
We don't do that pattern, we do the hyungs. That particular block doesn't appear in any of them that I have been taught.

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm a Taekwondo guy and I'm my school it's called Kodureo arae makki which is a double fist block.

-Julian

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't do that pattern, we do the hyungs. That particular block doesn't appear in any of them that I have been taught.

Ummm.... this sentence no sense makes. The word "hyung" (there is no word "hyungs"...) means pattern. So... "we don't do that pattern, we do the pattern" is what you've written.

You may do Palgwae hyung, taegeuk hyung, Chang Hon hyung, Pinan hyung... They are all sets of poomsae, or hyung, or tul. In the context of what the Japanese arts call "kata", the terms are interchangeable.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ummm.... this sentence no sense makes. The word "hyung" (there is no word "hyungs"...) means pattern. So... "we don't do that pattern, we do the pattern" is what you've written.

You may do Palgwae hyung, taegeuk hyung, Chang Hon hyung, Pinan hyung... They are all sets of poomsae, or hyung, or tul. In the context of what the Japanese arts call "kata", the terms are interchangeable.
It's been my experience that KKW uses 'poomsae' to mean Palgwe/Taegeuk, so-called 'traditional' schools use 'Hyeong' or 'Hyung' to mean the Chang Hon set typically with no sine wave or the earlier Pyong Ahn / Pinan forms, and the ITF uses Teul or Tul to mean the Chang Hon set with sine wave.

There are conventions regarding which word is appropriate when, at least among Koreans in Europe.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been my experience that KKW uses 'poomsae' to mean Palgwe/Taegeuk, so-called 'traditional' schools use 'Hyeong' or 'Hyung' to mean the Chang Hon set typically with no sine wave or the earlier Pyong Ahn / Pinan forms, and the ITF uses Teul or Tul to mean the Chang Hon set with sine wave.

There are conventions regarding which word is appropriate when, at least among Koreans in Europe.

My first training was with the Chang Hon Tul, before sine wave was implemented.
These "conventions" are extremely fluid.
Bottom line is that it's kind of pointless to use a totally generic term like "pattern" when what you mean is a particular set of patterns.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
View attachment 20116

This is the X block I was referring to that we call "Yeot Pero Makgi."
OK I see what's happening here. This is Otgoreo Makki, or cross block: 엇걸어막기

"Yeot Pero" is just a corrupted romanisation of a corrupted pronunciation.

I suspect the same is true of "Kara Makki", which could well be a corruption of "Kodeureo Makki" if it has been said quickly and misheard over years: 거들어 각기

Anyone want to help with a pronunciation video?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, 'kara' (gara; 가라) in Korean means 'to cut' in accusative form.

In the context I was replying to though:

"What I took from it is that Kara can be a very general term for hand techniques"

So 가라 in Korean doesn't mean anything like that, but the Japanese word may do.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
andyjeffries said:
This spelling (and if you pronounce it like that) is definitely incorrect! In Korean it's 막기 which would be romanised as mak-gi, your version would be 마기 which would be more like "smashing", "hitting", "crushing", "breaking".

'마기' doesn't mean any of those.

First off, let me say it's great to have a native Korean speaker on here!

My Mac's system Korean-English dictionary defines the first meaning of 마다 to be "〔짓찧다〕 hit; smash; crush; break (into pieces); pound." and I was adding -기 to the verb stem to make it a gerund. That's where I got it from.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
It wouldn't. It's the same as a Japanese まっぎ pronounciation. 막기 just sounds like 막기.

You write 막기 twice in your last sentence but I was talking about 맣기 and 막기. I also don't know if the "it wouldn't" referred to whether "mahgi" would be written in Hangul as 맣기 or whether it would be pronounced differently.

When my Mac's built in speech synthesis speaks 맣기 and 막기 there's definitely a difference in pronunciation (which matches what I know of Korean). Unfortunately all my friends in Korea are asleep now, so I can't ask them if maybe this is a regional difference (maybe where you grew up they were pronounced the same, but the way my friends in Seoul pronounce them there's a difference). The Mac speech synthesis using the Yuna voice seems pretty accurate based on my previous discussions with my Korean tutor.

Anyway, you're the native speaker - just explaining why I wrote what I did.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You write 막기 twice in your last sentence but I was talking about 맣기 and 막기. I also don't know if the "it wouldn't" referred to whether "mahgi" would be written in Hangul as 맣기 or whether it would be pronounced differently.

When my Mac's built in speech synthesis speaks 맣기 and 막기 there's definitely a difference in pronunciation (which matches what I know of Korean). Unfortunately all my friends in Korea are asleep now, so I can't ask them if maybe this is a regional difference (maybe where you grew up they were pronounced the same, but the way my friends in Seoul pronounce them there's a difference). The Mac speech synthesis using the Yuna voice seems pretty accurate based on my previous discussions with my Korean tutor.

Anyway, you're the native speaker - just explaining why I wrote what I did.
맣기 doesn't mean anything. 말기 means 'to not ____'

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
맣기 doesn't mean anything. 말기 means 'to not ____'

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying 맣기 meant anything, but when someone else wrote "mahgi" in English, I was saying it might be mistaken for the Hangul 맣기 which would be pronounced differently when read out in Korean.

Latest Discussions