Double-fist block

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Correct, but in Japanese - not Korean.

The Korean words for Kara (depending on the hanja used) are Kong or Tang.
Early terminology in Korean Karate included some Japanese terms as I understand it...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I heard once in-passing that "nal" didn't just mean blade generically, but that it refers to a specific kind of blade? Is that true? I tried Googling to figure it out, but no success.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anyway, your chart is in English, and I'm trying to find the Korean terms....

By the way, if there's a Korean speaker who's reading this who would like to translate the wikia diagrams into Korean, I'm more than happy to email the raw PowerPoint files for editing. They're all licensed under Creative Commons so they're freely distributable.

OP
Rough Rider

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
This spelling (and if you pronounce it like that) is definitely incorrect! In Korean it's 막기 which would be romanised as mak-gi, your version would be 마기 which would be more like "smashing", "hitting", "crushing", "breaking".

I just checked my study guide, and It's actually spelled Mahki. So, is it the the g/k that makes the difference or the hyphen? Keep in mind, my GM is not Korean, so the mistake is surely unintentional.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just checked my study guide, and It's actually spelled Mahki. So, is it the the g/k that makes the difference or the hyphen? Keep in mind, my GM is not Korean, so the mistake is surely unintentional.

It's the lack of the final g/k on the first syllable. The hyphen was just to make it clear where the syllable break is. You could argue that the word pronounced as "makki" could be written as mak-ki or ma-kki, it would be the same pronunciation, but a very different meaning.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

For what it's worth, it's not uncommon to see the same Korean term romanized (i.e., converted from the Hangul alphabet to the Latin/English alphabet) in a number of different ways. For example:

Revised Romanization of Korean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and

McCune–Reischauer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Andy's makgi is the modern, preferred romanization...but somebody who learned the terms a long time ago might still be romanizing the words differently.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
(By the way...an anonymous editor did a global edit on the Wikipedia page the other day for taekwondo, converting all the taekwondo into taekwon-do, arguing that this was the original spelling. Because, ya know...all those Koreans back then wrote in 'merican!)

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
(By the way...an anonymous editor did a global edit on the Wikipedia page the other day for taekwondo, converting all the taekwondo into taekwon-do, arguing that this was the original spelling. Because, ya know...all those Koreans back then wrote in 'merican!)

LOL!

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andy, not being US-based, you may have never heard this (probably apocryphal) chestnut before: Supposedly there was a debate in Texas many decades ago about whether or not to teach classes in Texas public schools in both English and Spanish, to better support all the recent immigrants from Mexico. Supposedly the governor at that time argued against the bilingual approach, saying, "If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it ought to be good enough for the children of Texas." o_O :D

Miriam A. Ferguson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One nitpick: the blocks we're talking about aren't really low and high, they're low and mid-height. But I know the blocks you're talking about.

Steps 25 and 26. Most often I see those called Augmented Low Blocks (kodureo arae makgi).

You can find names for all the techniques for all the Taegeuk/Palgwae/Yudanja forms on the wiki. Palgwae Oh Jang (I diagram the forms using Poomsae Designer as I learn them...which is why the Chang Hon forms probably won't ever get diagrammed by me...maybe someday some ITF-type will tackle that project!)

Sadly the TKD is of no use to me but I have to compliment you on the diagram, it's really easy to understand what movements are needed where. I look at it and feel I could actually go through it not with TKD precision lol but well enough to start learning it if I'd needed too. Well done! If only someone had done that when I started kata but that was basically before home computers lol!

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you! Personally I find diagrams like these to be really useful study aids. It took a lot of noodling on my part to come up with an "easy" way to create these diagrams. Finally I stumbled on the idea of using CAD (computer-aided-design) software, specifically an open-source CAD product called OpenSCAD.

Next I had to tell OpenSCAD how to draw a "mannequin" using cylinders and spheres. Then I had to tell OpenSCAD how to make the mannequins perform various techniques. Then I had to tell OpenSCAD how to combine the techniques into poomsae. The final step in the process is to import the competed diagram into PowerPoint so that I can add the annotations. Here's what Taegeuk Il Jang looks like:

module taegeuk_il_jang() {
joonbee("gold");
translate(v=DA1(1)) rotate(face_DA) { left_walking_stance("gold"); left_low_block("gold"); } // 1
translate(v=DA1(2)) rotate(face_DA) { right_walking_stance("gold"); right_punch("gold"); } // 2
translate(v=RA1(1)) rotate(face_RA) { right_walking_stance("orange"); right_low_block("orange"); } // 3
translate(v=RA1(2)) rotate(face_RA) { left_walking_stance("orange"); left_punch("orange"); } // 4
translate(v=GA2) rotate(face_GA) { left_front_stance("green"); left_low_block("green"); } // 5
translate(v=RA2(0.60)) rotate(face_GA) { left_front_stance("green"); right_punch("green"); } // 6
translate(v=RA2(1.5)) rotate(face_RA) { right_walking_stance("green"); left_inward_block("green"); } // 7
translate(v=RA2(2.5)) rotate(face_RA) { left_walking_stance("green"); right_punch("green"); } // 8
translate(v=DA2(1)) rotate(face_DA) { left_walking_stance("indigo"); right_inward_block("indigo"); } // 9
translate(v=DA2(2)) rotate(face_DA) { right_walking_stance("indigo"); left_punch("indigo"); } // 10
translate(v=GA3) rotate(face_GA) { right_front_stance("blue"); right_low_block("blue"); } // 11
translate(v=DA3(0.60)) rotate(face_GA) { right_front_stance("blue"); left_punch("blue"); } // 12
translate(v=DA3(1.5)) rotate(face_DA) { left_walking_stance("blue"); left_high_block("blue"); } // 13
translate(v=DA3(2.5)) rotate(face_DA) { right_front_kick("blue"); guard_hands("blue"); } // 14a
translate(v=DA3(3.5)) rotate(face_DA) { right_walking_stance("blue"); right_punch("blue"); } // 14b
translate(v=RA3(1)) rotate(face_RA) { right_walking_stance("sienna"); right_high_block("sienna"); } // 15
translate(v=RA3(2)) rotate(face_RA) { left_front_kick("sienna"); guard_hands("sienna"); } // 16a
translate(v=RA3(3)) rotate(face_RA) { left_walking_stance("sienna"); left_punch("sienna"); } // 16b
translate(v=RA2(4)) rotate(face_NA) { left_front_stance("darkred"); left_low_block("darkred"); } // 17
translate(v=RA1(4)) rotate(face_NA) { right_front_stance("darkred"); right_punch("darkred"); } // 18
}

If there were a karate expert who wanted to use the same software to diagram kata, it would be very easy to use the same software. The software is open-source and can be found here: Poomsae Designer

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Hangul (Korean alphabet) doesn't make a distinction between a g and a soft k (I'm not sure if that's a real linguistic term, lol, but think abou). They're the same letter, ㄱ. Same with r/l, f/p, and b/v. Hangul has a lot more vowels and a lot fewer consonants than the Latin alphabet, which is why you often see so many different "English" spellings for the same Korean word.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hangul (Korean alphabet) doesn't make a distinction between a g and a soft k (I'm not sure if that's a real linguistic term, lol, but think abou). They're the same letter, ㄱ. Same with r/l, f/p, and b/v. Hangul has a lot more vowels and a lot fewer consonants than the Latin alphabet, which is why you often see so many different "English" spellings for the same Korean word.

Indeed, in this case though, the spelling mahki, may mean 맣기 which would be pronounced more like 마키 (the aspirated batchim becomes an aspirated initial consonant of the next syllable)

OP
Rough Rider

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, RTKDCMB, that's the one we call Kara Momtong Makgi. If it was down low it would be Kara Arae Makgi.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I heard once in-passing that "nal" didn't just mean blade generically, but that it refers to a specific kind of blade? Is that true? I tried Googling to figure it out, but no success.
No. It just means blade. 요철날 would mean serrated edge/blade. To check my proof, click on me.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No, not X- block. We call that Yeot Pero Mahki.
An example of what I'm talking about is found in Palgwe O-jang. After the initial scissors block, you turn to the left and do a double knife-hand low, followed by a double knife-hand high (Sonnol arae/momtong mahki). The blocks I'm talking about are the same except they have a closed fist. They come later in the form.
After turning toward the front, you do another scissors block followed by double-fist high (in long stance) twice. Later, after turning toward the rear, yet another scissors block followed by double-fist low (back stance) twice.
The phonics is 'yeop ero muckgi' (옆에로 막기) .