Daito Ryu & Asayama Ichiden Ryu

Discussion in 'Jujutsu / Judo' started by Guy Preston, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Troy Wideman

Troy Wideman Green Belt

The gentleman's name that was a student of Sato Kinbei Sensei is Duke Meade and he runs the Live Oak Dojo. He received various licences from Sato Kinbei Sensei.

Kind Regards,

Troy Wideman

2. Guy Preston

Guy Preston Orange Belt

Thanks for digging that out Troy,

I had a look at their website - http://www.liveoakdojo.com/instructor.html looks interesting. It must have been a great experience for him to have trained in the way he has.

Something I'm not sure about though, is the comment on his profile - 'The only Certified Instructor of Sato Kinbei Sensei's teachings in North America'

What are your thoughts?

If Tanemura Sensei was not only a certified instructor of some of Sato Kinbei's systems, but actually became Soke of some, and has then certified his own students - wouldn't they be certified instructors of Sato Kinbei's teachings?? Albiet they are not direct students?

Similar to a Bujinkan Shihan for example who could be considered to be a certified instructor in the Takamatsuden arts, although not direct students of Takamatsu.

If so, there are a number of Genbukan instructors who hold licences in Ryu that came from Sato Kinbei.

Perhaps 'the only instructor to be certified by Sato Kinbei in North America' may be more appropriate. Not that this is a particularly big issue in the scheme of things, just something I noticed.

It also makes me cringe a little when people refer to themselves as 'Sensei' - I've always been under the impression that this is considered presumptuous? But then again, I can see the use on a website to get your point across...

3. Troy Wideman

Troy Wideman Green Belt

HI Guy,

In a way he is correct. We are students of Tanemura sensei not Sato Kinbei Sensei, we have a link but not a direct line as teacher and student.
    I am actually not sure of Mr. Meade's rank in Asayama Ichiden Ryu, I am assuming he has Menkyo but not positive. It appears he has a Menkyo Kaiden in Yagyu Shingan Ryu but not sure about Asayama.

Sensei, just means teacher and it is not just used in the martial arts but Public school as well.

Kind Regards,

Troy