Hapkido Q&A's

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For folks still considering breakfalls I would like to reinterate that one need not necessarily do air-rolls to take falls. In fact during my visit to Korea Dojunim Kim dissuaded me from using air-rolls to take some of the techniques, encouraging me to sit-out the technique--- in typical White Belt fashion. However, I will also point out that I saw none of the UPPER ranks use air-rolls at their level either. Does anyone know if the DRAJJ people use air rolls? I know the Aikido folks do. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi, Bruce,

Yes,they do.

And I would jump up and down in celebration if someone did catagorize the techniques like that. I do tire of using the terminology I know for the techniques in Japanese. Oh,and I never do that in class.:asian:

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
glad2bhere said:
Dear Brian:

It just shows to go you how badly we either a.) need a common English nomenclature or b.) need a uniform Korean nomenclature.
Bruce

Just giving you a hard time - But I agree that terms need to be standardized. I usually refer to things as "you know this one". I tried to learn the korean term for kuzushi. I was told just use english. Which is ok. But I'm surprised that there is not a standard term for it in Hapkido. And to tie the two sub threads "air rolls" are known as "sky falls" in our federation. I'm sure that you would know what I'm talking about but a standard would be nice. Another thing that threw me (t)dollyo chagi - for us = spinning heel kick - to most TKD guys I've met = round house. If Koreans aren't consistent how does that fair for us Westerners .

Brian

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, but go back to the original question, for a moment. First of all do we want to use Korean language or English. Once we have a decision there we can begin to make the terminology uniform by simply translating from one to the other, yes?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
S

SmellyMonkey

glad2bhere said:
OK, but go back to the original question, for a moment. First of all do we want to use Korean language or English. Once we have a decision there we can begin to make the terminology uniform by simply translating from one to the other, yes?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
I have no problem with romanized Korean....except that I don't know Korean and we don't use Korean in class. :uhyeah:

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm OK with Korean as well. It would need to be a one-two project, then.

The first step would be to identify a single label for a single technique and use it consistently. For instance, one persons "front-snap-kick" couldn't also be called "a kick-to-the-front-utilizing-the-foot" just because somebody wanted to be different.

The second step would be to identify a single Romanized Han-gul and stick with despite whatever changes the Korean government feels like making THIS week or what dialects away from Seoul may prefer.

Anyone? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Including a description of the technique might also be a good idea. I think it is possible that two people could be using the same name for two similiar, but different techniques.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
.... and to be real honest with everyone, I have some grave concerns here. Let me give you an example using the kicking material.

I think everyone knows the basic front snap kick (FSK).

In the Yon Mu Kwan we use the in-step, meaning the top of the foot up close to the ankle. Years ago I used to do a FSK using the ball of the foot. I am going to bet that some purist is going to want to use separate terms for each of these kicks.

Now take it a step farther. Later in the YMK curriculum we have a Toe Kick which comes straight-on like a FSK. There are also the same kick delivered high (under the jawline) and low (into the bladder or inner thigh).

To make matters worse, that Low Toe Kick can also pass as what we call an Inside Outside Swivel Kick if done just a tad differently. See where this is going? Its like the White Light Spectrum run through a prism. How light can green get, before it stops being green and is actually now yellow. BTW: This is why I took the tact of identifying the MINIMUM standard. Trying to put together and name an exhaustive curriculum everyone would agree on would be damn-near impossible, don'chathink? FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
:) From what I have seen of Hapkidoin, so far you guys don't seem to agree on much of anything.

At TKD class when we practice the front snap kick, we use either the ball of the foot or the instep. Same kick, the point of contact depends on the target and its position. This could be included in the description.

I think it is a good idea to try to define the minimums, because once they are defined it is easier to move past them and to start discussing the midlevel and advanced. besides the longer you guys keep this discussion going, the more I learn about Hapkido.

Kumbajah

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I vote for english - we, on this board at least are english speakers. I think it would be great to have a curriculum like judo's. If you refer to Osoto gari anywhere in the world people will know exactly what you are talking about. Judo has the Kodokan so all stems from there. There are variations but the "base" curriculum comes from the Kodokan. Hapkido doen't have this advantage. Even differences within Korean arts - dollyo chagi I mentioned earlier. Hapkido = spinning heal kick. TKD = roundhouse. Where the translation is basically turning kick. Could be a host of kicks.

Brian

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
doc clean said:
besides the longer you guys keep this discussion going, the more I learn about Hapkido.

Good deal!! I for one have no problem telling you all of our secrets. -----Of course, when I'm done I'll have to kill you. Nothing Personal, OK? :ultracool

Best Wishes,

Bruce