Hapkido Q&A's

D

Disco

Found this on one of my surfing jaunts. Thought I'd share........

Controversial Hapkido Frequently Asked Questions

by David N. Beck

How do *I* know the answers?

It's difficult to know what the actual facts are -- even when there are written records, sometimes the writers are biased. Although I've used books, web sites, mailing lists, questions to my teachers, etc, I am not a trained researcher, and I don't claim that these answers are the be all end all answers to these questions. But they are MY answers to these questions based on what I've experienced, seen, and heard from multiple sources in over 20 years of studying martial arts.

Most of these questions involve differing views of history. To me this is all pretty unimportant. One, both Hapkido and Taekwondo are martial arts that have changed and continue to change with the times. Two, the term 'art' in martial art implies creativity and individual expression. Every instructor teaches a little bit differently, and every student will find certain techniques just work better for them than others, so every martial art becomes an individual martial art. I can teach you *my* interpretation of Hapkido and/or Taekwondo, but that is *my* interpretation -- I encourage you to use that as a base and eventually develop your *own* interpretation. What matters is that you train to meet your goals, not who created that particular method of training.

I have capitalized family names and used the Western approach of placing them last; you'll often see them reversed as is Asian tradition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. What is the difference between Taekwondo and Hapkido?

A. Sometimes not all that much; there has been a LOT of cross-pollinization. Virtually everyone in Korea gets some Taekwondo training (it's their national sport - ever know an American boy who'd NEVER played baseball?). The specialty jumping spinning kicks of Hapkido proved very useful for demonstration and breaking purposes and got adopted into Taekwondo. Any Hosinsool (self-defense) techniques you see in Taekwondo got adopted from out of Hapkido. Any HKDists that want to spar tend to do so under TKD rules and adapt their techniques accordingly. There's a lot of mixed versions out there. Who originated what techniques? Who cares? But in general if its sport oriented, it's Taekwondo; and if it's self-defense oriented, it's Hapkido.

Q. What's wrong with TKD types doing Hapkido seminar training?

A. Nothing, if it's used properly. There are many many more TKD type places than HKD, and many schools do some sort of mix; doing some Hapkido as the self-defense part of their curriculum. I've attended, taught, and hosted many seminars and much can be learned from them. But for myself and for the vast majority of people, learning something well takes time. For anything physical, repetition to acquire muscle memory is absolutely essential. So if the material shown at a seminar is not practiced enough over time, it is lost. Ongoing regular Hapkido practice with a good instructor will correct mistakes in your practice and stop bad habits from being ingrained. But a seminar here and a seminar there is not going to do much more than give you an idea of the material. Thus I feel that doing rank tests at a seminar that simply test what's been worked on at that seminar is a bad practice. It tends to promote memorization of the particular techniques done just before, without understanding principles behind the techniques or being able to apply the techniques to different situations. And to me, that's like someone playing scales versus someone playing music. If it's rote technique, you're not a martial artist.

Q. Who founded Hapkido?

A. Some sources will say Yong Sool CHOI (1904-1986), some will say Han Jae JI. My answer is Ji, and call Choi the 'father' of Hapkido.

Q. Why would Yong Sool Choi be considered the founder?

A. Because all the branches of Hapkido go back to Choi and Choi was Han Jae JI's primary teacher. Yong Sool CHOI was taken to Japan as a young boy and supposedly became an adopted son of the famous Daito-Ryu Aikijujitsu martial artist Sokaku TAKEDA (1860-1943). He supposedly was with Takeda until Takeda's death, after which Choi returned to Korea and shortly thereafter opened a school.

Q. Why 'supposedly'?

A. Choi always claimed he learned from Takeda, yet none of the Takeda family say they remember him. Takeda kept meticulate records of those he trained down to the level of how much he charged per technique, yet none of the names Choi used appears in the records, and there ARE some Korean names there, including at least one with a teaching license. Choi claimed to have teaching licenses from Takeda, but said the bag he had them is was stolen from him at a train station on his arrival in Korea after Choi's death.

It was common at the time for Korean children to be taken into rich Japanese households as servants. Perhaps Choi was a servant in the household and around (carrying the bags, etc) but not an actual participant in Takeda's seminars. But you would certainly expect the family to remember him, and they say no. As far as an adopted son, perhaps Choi just looked on Takeda as a father figure and there's been some mistranslation in interviews. Culturally, adoption of any Korean into a Japanese family would be VERY unlikely.

There were other teachers of Daito-ryu aikijujitsu, I think that perhaps Choi was a second generation student of Takeda rather than first generation. Regardless of where and from whom he learned, Choi was a formidable martial artist when he returned to Korea after Takeda's death.

Q. Why would JI be considered the founder?

A. Because Ji came up with the name, added many different things to the art, and is most responsible for the spread of Hapkido. Choi actually directly taught very few people because he always charged very high rates and the training was very severe. Between 70-80% of the Hapkido branches can be traced back to Ji. Choi never taught high, spinning, or jumping kicks; cane, staff, or other weapons; or breathing exercises -- these things were added by Ji. Most new martial arts styles come from some one person studying several different arts under several teachers, merging some things and modifying others, and then teaching the result under a new name. Choi never claimed to have studied with any other teacher than Takeda, and never modified what he taught.

Han Jae JI began martial arts training in 1949 at the age of 13 with Choi in Seoul. He trained for 7 years full time with Choi. Ji learned meditation techniques, weapons, and Tae Kyun kicking from a man he know as Taoist Lee starting at age 18. He learned more meditation techniques from a lady Taoist monk he knew only as Grandma. He was still training with Choi during this time as well.

Ji moved to his hometown of Andong, opening a school there (the An Moo Kwan) as a 3rd Dan in 1956. He taught Yoo Kwon Sool there for 9 months, then moving to Seoul and opening a school at a tie factory he called the 'Sung Moo Kwan'. He gained more students and soon was able to teach from a boxing gym. He added techniques to deal with boxing style punches at this time.

In 1958, Ji moved his school to Joong Boo Shi Jang where he continued teaching until April of 1960. During this period, Ji began to add basic kicking and punching techniques taken from other Korean schools and his Tae-Kyun training. In 1959 he decided that his system was sufficiently different from Choi's culturally patterned Japanese aiki-jiu jitsu to call it 'Hapkido'.

Into the early 60's, Ji was merging in techniques and modifying his curriculum. A fellow student of Choi's and good friend of Ji's, Moo-Woong KIM, gave input and advice during 8-9 months in 1961 to help finalize the kicking curriculum. Kim had also trained in Tae-Kyon and was a noted kicker.

Ji offered Choi use of the name and Choi thereafter trained using 'hapkido' until his death in 1986. Choi continued always with his original teachings, which meant that most of the striking, kicking techniques and weapons techniques were omitted.

Q. So if what Choi taught was simply Daito-Ryu Aikijujitsu, why not continue to call it that?

A. Choi didn't care what it was called. He called it 'yawara' at first. Then 'Dai Dong Ryu Yu Sool', the Korean equivalent of Daito-Ryu Aikijujitsu. Many of Choi's students had backgrounds from other martial arts, and Korean names were desired rather than Japanese names. So it became 'Dai Dong Ryu Yu Kwon Sool', then 'Hapki Yu Kwon Sool', then eventually 'Hapkido'.

Q. Isn't it inconsistant to call Ji the founder of HKD and not call Hong Hi Choi the founder of TKD? Didn't both create the name, add stuff to the art, and spread it widely?

No, it's more a matter of degree. Ji is directly responsible for the differences between HKD and Daito-Ryu Aikijujitsu, including the name, and at least 70% of HKD lineage is his. Choi is not responsible for any differences between TKD and its karate forebears with the exception of the sine wave (done only in ITF TKD), he may or may not be responsible for the name Taekwondo, and his percentage of TKD lineage is less than 10%. And even that percentage would more properly be credited to Tae Hi Nam. See the Controversial TKD FAQ.

Q. What's the difference between Hapkido and Aikido?

A. Aikido founder Morehi USHEBA studied with Sokaku TAKEDA for a number of years as well as a number of other teachers before forming Aikido. The simularity of technique is very apparent between the two arts in the circular non-resistive motions, joint-locking and throwing. Both even are written with the same Chinese characters. However, the philosophy is different in that a Hapkidoist mixes in hard with the soft, including kicks and strikes; plus the footwork tends to be a little different. Possibly CHOI never directly studied with TAKEDA but only watched (and Aikidoists wear the hakamas - which block viewing of the feet). Or possibly the cross-influence of other Korean kicking/punching arts with Hapkido modified the footwork. There has been enough cross training influence over the years that it's very hard to track. There have been HKDists that studied Aikido and Aikidoists that studied Hapkido, with the primary crossover influence being Hapkido Grandmaster Jae Nam MYONG. Myong founded the International Hapkido Federation (one of the top 3 HKD organizations in Korea) and became the International Aikido Federation representative in Korea.

Q. What's the difference between Hapkido and Kido?

A. None. The same Chinese written characters are used for Hapkido and Aikido. In the early 60's, President Chung Hee PARK lifted import restrictions from Japan and Ji came across a book on Aikido and noticed this for the first time. He didn't like them having the same name and dropped the 'Hap' from his art. In 1963 the Korean government granted a charter through the Ministry of Education to create the Korea Kido Association, with Choi as Chairman and Jung Yoon KIM as First Secretary. The majority of Ji's students didn't like the name change and many kept calling it Hapkido, plus Ji and Kim did not get along. By 1965 Ji was in the politically powerful position of Chief Instructor for the President's Security Forces and left the Kido Association to establish the Korean Hapkido Association. The Korea Kido Association retained many members and became something of an umbrella organization for Korean martial arts that did not want to associate themselves with Taekwondo and the Kukkiwon. So now it contains Hapkido, Kuk Sool Won, Hwarangdo, Tuk Gong Mool Sool, etc. at least 31 styles at last count. It is headed by GM In Sun SEO, whose brother In Hyuk SUH founded Kuk Sool. It remains one of the three major hapkido organizations in Korea.

Q. What's the difference between Hapkido and Kuk Sool?

A. Not much, mostly more palm heel strikes and Chinese weaponry training from Southern Praying Mantis. Any other differences appear to be in the trappings; fancier uniforms, stressing flashier techniques, etc. In Sun SEO studied Hapkido with Yong Sool Choi and earned a black belt in 1958. The founder of Kuk Sool Won, In Hyuk SUH, is SEO's brother (same name, they just spell it differently in English). Suh claims that everything in Kuk Sool is from his grandfather, that he never studied with Hapkido with Choi or kung fu with Monk Hae Dong and Wang Tae-eui. But Suh is extremely nationalistic, and discounts everything non-Korean. He sees Choi's HKD as Japanese daito ryu aiki jujitsu, and kung fu as Chinese. I think that Suh can perhaps justify to himself saying that he never trained with Choi because it came through his brother. But you look at the techniques and Kuk Sool Won is Hapkido with a few other things added in. For many years Kuk Sool schools even went by the name Kuk Sool Hapkido.

Q. What's the difference between Hapkido and Hwarangdo?

A. Not much. The founder of Hwarangdo, Dr. Joo-Bang Lee studied Hapkido in private lessons with Choi and also visited and trained in many schools, including with Moo-woong Kim and In Hyuk Suh, founder of Kuk Sool. He claims to have merged a little HKD with secret techniques taught to him and his brother Joo Sang Lee by a monk named Sahm Dosa to create Hwarang-do. Supposedly the techniques were secretly handed down through 57 generations of warrior/monks since the Silla dynasty and the days of the hwarang. Dr. Lee had his own school as early as 1960, and was promoted to 8th degree by Yong Sool Choi at the same time as Han Jae Ji in May of 1968. From 1961-68 he called his school a Hapkido school. But shortly after that he supposedly got permission from Sahm Dosa to teach the 'secret techniques', founded Hwarangdo, and moved to the USA.

Actual differences to Hapkido appear to be in the trappings -- more philisophical and Korean cultural stuff based on the historical hwarang, some forms and more strikes than is typical in HKD, and more weapons training. But all the self-defense techniques in his 3-book series are HKD. And the forms and teaching methodologies are very similar to Kuk Sool. How much stock to put in the 'secret techniques' and the 57 generations handed down from monk to monk -- well, I won't say it's *impossible*.

Q. What's the difference between Hapkido and Krav Maga?

A. In the late sixties the Korea Hapkido Association President was Woo Joong KIM, also president of the Dae Woo Company which had many interests in the Middle East. Many HKD instructors went there and taught police forces and military officers. The founder of Krav Maga was an Israeli boxer and wrestler that participated in some of this training and boiled things down into a very simple practical system to teach the Israeli armed forces. It looks like some basics from a number of martial arts including HKD. It's a good fighting system; I wouldn't call it a martial *art*. It's immediate destruction no nonsense stuff, great for a sentry in the military; not so good for graduated levels of response necessary for policemen or for the general person in today's society.

Q. What's the difference between Hapkido and Viet No Vuem?

A. In 1967 the KHA sent 15 members of demonstration teams to Vietnam and taught Korean, US, and Vietnamese troops and special forces. Viet No Vuem is the Vietnamese martial art that came out of it. Viet No Vuem appears to be basic HKD with some TKD mixed in, plus the advanced acrobatic falls and rolls from Hapkido.

Q. What's the difference between Hapkido and Han Moo Do?

A. Han Moo Do is Dr. He-Young KIMM's combination of Hapkido, Kuk Sool, and Taekwondo. Dr. Kimm is a HKD pioneer in the US, a scholar, and the author of the Hapkido Bible. Train with him if you ever get the chance.

Q. What's the difference between Hapkido and Hankido?

A. Hankido is Jae Nam MYONG's combination of Hapkido and Aikido. Introduced in 1992, it tries to be an easy-to-learn martial art. Myong is the head of the International Hapkido Federation. Myong died in 1999 and his IHF is led by his son Sung Kwang Myong. This IHF is actually a 3-pronged organization that teaches with the martial arts of Hapkido under the banner of International Hapkido Federation, Hankido under the banner of the International Hankido Federation, and Hankumdo (Korean sword) under the banner of the International Hankumdo Federation. A lot of IHF's already, plus there are at least two other totally unrelated International Hapkido Federations, one led by Bong Soo HAN and another by James Benko.

Q. What Hapkido organizations exist?

A. There are many, there's no clearly dominant one like TKD has in the WTF. I've noted the head of the organization and a sentence or two on what I know of them.
Note: the same word in Korea is used for 'federation' or 'association', so some of these can be confusing.

World Hapkido Federation - Kwang Sik MYUNG
This is the biggest in the US, and the one BMA is affilated with. Myung was a student of Ji's (starting in 1957) that claims Choi as his teacher. Excellent training materials (books and tapes).

World Sin Moo Hapkido Association - Han Jae JI- founder of Hapkido. This is Doju-nim Ji's current organization. It is fairly small and has no training materials available yet, but is developing some from Doju-nim Ji's 50th m.a. anniversary seminars.

Korea Hapkido Federation - Se Lim OH 10th Dan largest in Korea
Oh was an early student of Ji's in Andong, his first school. The KHF overall has a good reputation, but...supposedly the U.S. rep is Richard Hacksworth., Ocee, Florida. I don't understand all the relationships here, but associated is the National Han Moo Kwan Association and the Korean Martial Arts Instructors Association, and a slew of other organizations. My own experience with him has been limited to buying via him material represented as being the official KHF curriculum, but it was in fact only his requirements. Other reputable HKD people I know of have had much worse experiences with him. I do know of other people in the KHF with impeccable reputations; I would say this is a case where you won't be able to tell anything from the organization and should look at people on an individual basis.

International Hapki Federation - Jae Nam MYONG (deceased), now named the International Hapkido Federation. Close relationships with Aikido organizations. This one is also involved in sponsoring HKD competitions. Also involved is Marshall Gagne.

World Kido Federation/Korea Kido Association - In Sun SEO
Seo was a student of Choi's. This is something of an umbrella organization for non-TKD martial arts in Korea. Many Hapkido kwans are members, including Hal Whalen's Moo Ye Kwan and Pelligrini's International Combat HKD Federation, so it's a grab bag of good and bad.

Korea Hapkido Association - Duk Kyu HWANG
Hwang was Ji's first student in Seoul.

Korean Hapkido Association - Moo Woong KIM - helped add the kicks to HKD

American Hapkido Association - Chong Min LEE

American Hapkido Association - Mike Wollmershouser
Wollmershouser was a student of Choi's, his bio says the highest ranking American ever taught by Choi. Active in the northeast U.S. There was a video series he put out in the 1980's that I've seen one or two of; cheap quality but excellent techniques shown, well worth getting if you can find them. He died some years ago of cancer.

Universal Hapkido Institute - Ik Hwan KIM

International Hapkido Federation - Bong Soo HAN
Han was a student of Ji's (starting 1958) and Choi's that claims Choi as his teacher. He was one of the first Hapkido instructors in the United States and is famous for the Billy Jack movies that gave Hapkido its first big visibility. He also appeared in Kentucky Fried Movie in perhaps the funniest MA related scenes ever filmed.

International Hapkido Federation - James Benko, Ph. D

International Combat HKD Federation - John Pelligrini. Pelligrini has the reputation of having taken out much of the Hapkido curriculum and primarily markets to martial artists of other styles, focusing on seminar training. It is my opinion and that of many others that this is a disservice to HKD, making it easy to get HKD rank and formenting a picture of it as an adjunct style rather than the complete martial art it is. I cannot speak to Pelligrini's skills not having met the man, seen him on the mat, or seen his videos ... but others I respect have been on the mat with him and were not impressed. For what it's worth, I started Hapkido before he did. My understanding is he was a TKD guy that did some seminars with Mike Wolmersouser and received an HONORARY 1st Dan black belt in Hapkido given at a seminar in 1988, then bounced around orgainization to organization doing seminars and jumping up in rank; emerging with an 6th Dan when he created the ICHF in 1992, and shortly thereafter getting an 8th Dan from In Sun SEO. I guess since he was able to gain rank quickly by seminars and changing organizations he's happy to do the same for others. For what it's worth, I tested for my 1st Dan in 1997, and I'm not yet eligible for 6th Dan by my and most organization's guidelines.

Lets end with some ones I KNOW are good:

United States Korean Martial Arts Federation - J.R. West. I've now been to several of Master West's seminars and was extremely impressed. His reputation as a superb Hapkido man is well-deserved. The integrity, openess, and skill of this man is amazing. Train with him if you ever get the chance. He puts on a big seminar every six months in Jackson, Mississippi that attracts a lot of major Hapkido people, and his organization involves no politics; simply helping people learn the art.

National Korean Martial Arts Association - Rudy Timmerman. Excellent reputation. GM Timmerman is a Kuk Sool and Kong Shin Bup person, a student of In Hyuk SUH and others. Based in Canada, his is another organization with a reputation for no politics and helping people learn.

International Hapkido Alliance - Geoff Booth. Master Booth is a student of GM Ji. I've hosted him now 5 or 6 times and it's always a great deal of fun, with superb Hapkido and keeping everyone smiling with his jokes. Master Booth has a DVD series out that are fantastic -- great techniques, very clear, extremely well done.

Q. Why do all these 10th Dan HKD Grandmasters who were Ji's students claim Choi as their teacher?

Korean martial artists traditionally study under multiple people and then claim one as their teacher, supposedly the one who most influenced them. So they could study for years under Ji, go to one seminar with Choi, and claim Choi (the more famous person) as their teacher. Ji was a very young man when he first started teaching -- almost all his students were older.

Another reason is that DJN Ji is a very creative individual and would teach whatever he felt like teaching that day. When an organization sets out specific requirements for rank for instance, if he didn't follow them or he promoted someone that hadn't met those specific requirements; it caused problems. He doesn't like doing the administrative work that is necessary to run a good organization. So he'd be involved in founding a HKD organization, then would delegate the admin details, eventually there'd be some disagreement on some detail or another, and he'd leave that organization to found another one.

And DJN admits to not being very likeable when young -- he didn't really mellow and begin using the Taoist theory he put into Sin Moo HKD until after his prison term.

Q. Prison term? What happened?

GM Ji was the head of the presidential bodyguards when President Chung Hee Park's wife was killed during an attempt on the President's life. Gm Ji was out of the country on R&R at the time. Gm Ji was not the head of the bodyguards when President Park was killed in 1979. The new head bodyguard was with President Park at that time and was also killed. The assassin was the head of the Korean CIA, i.e. someone within President Park's inner circle. But Ji resigned after the assasination anyway. When he became a civilian he joined the Min Jung Dang political party, and got involved with one of two rival groups inside the party. Ji started training some people from one group to protect President Doo-whan CHUN when he would visit party headquarters, and the leader of the other group reported to the president that secret training was going on to overthrow him. Ji received a 1-year prison term. During the term, he was unable to work out, but meditated a great deal, and when he got out started Sin Moo Hapkido.

Q. What's the difference between Sin Moo Hapkido and other kinds of Hapkido?

A. Technique wise, essentially none. Sin Moo Hapkido adds more mental and spiritual training, with more stress on meditation and how to live your life.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Disco,

This is the same old stuff, some well said, but lots just regurgitated from "what the master says".

Most folks that trained with Choi, Yong Sul did so for only a few months, Ji for only three years (maybe) and came away with a giant amount of knowledge - a testiment to the prowess of Choi.

Choi, Yong Sul is the only REAL human among all the stories of monks and maternal grannies that are so widely claimed...frankly, if grannie was so psychic, and taught Ji this technique, it sure didn't help him see into the future to save getting busted and incarcerated. I have a different history of events leading to Ji jail time, but it really doesn't matter - I mean hey, he's a "gold" belt right?

I have an issue with this TKD is really close to Hapkido stuff - pure nonsense from someone that clearly has little understanding of what real Hapkido is...hey, if your want to jump around kicking and call it Hapkido, fine. To quote many others, a dog's tail can be called a leg, and you can call it a five legged dog - but just because you call it something does not make it so. Many have added lots of stuff to the core of techniques that were taught by Choi, Yong Sul. When that stuff is no longer within the priciples taught by Choi, it is no longer Hapkido. I think that you can call it what you want, just not Hapkido.

I have often heard that details are diluted like that above to make it easier to understand and more palatable for westerners - well, I say Hapkido is hard to learn and should therefore be hard to understand - it is after all a MARTIAL ART - not a sport - hey, make TKD easy to understand, sell it on every street corner, put folks in pads and play touch tag with your feet (at least in the sport version) - oops, that's already being done...

No dirsrespect to TKD folks here, I know lots of serious martial artists in the bunch - but also lots of sporty TKD folks too who I think have lost the martial edge in favor of palatability and marketability from the need to make it easy for anyone to understand.

Sorry for the rant, but having just spent a little bit of time in Korea training at the dojang of Choi, Yong Sul's longest training student (some 22 years) - I have felt what Hapkido should feel like - and to a certain extent LOOK like - and it isn't TKD.

Sincerely,

Kevin Sogor

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Kevin:

I'm with you---- but from a little different point of view (wow--- BIG surprise there, right?).

Of course, a lot of what is printed above is pretty well known oral tradition. And, of course, a lot of it gets validated in some direction related to the eyes of the beholder, right? I'm getting a little too old to go over this stuff time and again. However, one thing I would point up is that there are very definite and specific biomechanical and philosophical differences that always get ignored in responses like this. What makes this so bad are the generalizations (like the one you mentioned about similarities between, say, TKD and Hapkido) that proceed from these oversights. Frankly it makes no difference to me at all if people want to lay the origins of Hapkido at Chois' door or that of Ji. I know what I believe, and so do most of the other people who have been around a while. But as I say, what is getting lost is an intelligent discussion of what qualities of execution delineate one practice from another. Here are a few things that get glossed over.

1.) Use of physical properties (weight/mass; speed/velocity; leverage; strength) in the yu sool aspects of the Hapkido arts versus neuro-muscular properties (timing; misalignment; loading; pressure-point/strike-point work) of the hapkiyusool aspects.

2.) Incorporation and application of the Three Pillars including the Water Principle, Point-and-Circle (Circularity) Principle and Economy-of-Energy Principle.

3.) Use of the legs as an assist to the execution of grappling techniques as compared to using the legs as a weapon in their own right.

4.) Hapkido arts practiced as a Mu-Do to include a hierarchy of weapons whose practice is a harmonic to MThand work versus Hapkido as primarily MThand with use of weapons as a minor contribution to the main MThand curriculum.

5.) Moderation of techniques in deference to the potential for damage to training partner or opponent as compared to modification of execution to allow for maximum performance at all times.

I think the Hapkido arts are better served if we spend more time in these areas and much less time regarding personalities. For myself I have found that the Hapkido arts are far more than the people who tout them. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
D

Disco

Kevin, thanks for the reply. You bring up an interesting, if not explosive, positional quandary. Choi vs Ji and just what is honest real hapkido? Since Ji added several elements to what he learned from Choi, who actually "is" founder and "what" is hapkido. Perhaps it's just a matter of semantics or does it really make a difference in the long run anyhow? To me personally, I have a difficult time understanding why anyone who trains, in any art, would purposely limit the availability of what they can use, as they have Choi listed as doing. Then again, Choi's background was jujitsu, so we are lead to believe. But even in the variations of modern day jujitsu, are there not styles that use all that's available to them and their still called jujitsu? Now Ji comes along and increases availability, gives it a new name and hapkido is born. Choi by all reports, never called what he was teaching hapkido, until after Ji penned the name. From an analytical viewpoint then, Choi never taught "Hapkido". Perhaps this is where the quandary lies?

:asian: :asian:

OP
S

SmellyMonkey

All three of you know more about hapkido's roots than the majority of students training.

All I have to say is, keep this discussion going! This is what the foreum is supposed to be for....discussion of different ideas.

I love reading about this topic. I only have my master- Mi Jung Jang - to give me this info. I'd like to hear what you have to say and discuss it with my master.

Keep this thread going!

Jeremy

OP
D

Disco

Jeremy, I'll ask you a question, based upon what you've read so far, what would your consenses be on the subject? In addition, what does your master- Mi Jung Jang, say on the subject?

OP
S

SmellyMonkey

I believe that I am studying hapkido and my base martial art will always be hapkido.

Mi Jung Jang studied hapkido from an early age and majored? (don't know if it considered a major by western terms) in Hapkido at Yong-In University.

She also studied akido, karate, judo, kumdo, TKD, a little kung fu, and probably more martial arts.

Anyway, I am sure that other experience has influenced her. But she considers herself a Hapkidoist first and foremost.

She also believes that martial arts should evolve and change. She considers what she teaches "new-style" hapkido, and the traditional older stuff "old-style". But both are hapkido.

Often she teaches us some of the "old-style" kicks/techniques to show us the base theory for the move. She explains why the "old-style" kick/technique looks the way it does. Then she shows us modern "variations" of the technique and why it does not look the same as the old style.

She often explains how we will change the techniques we learn from her someday and make them more our own style. She doesn't think anything is wrong with that.

I don't believe martial arts are something to be distilled for purity, labeled, and stored in the fridge to preserve them. I believe martial arts should evolve and change. But the history should be preserved and understood lest we forget our roots.

Jeremy

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

Disco, I would have to disagree. Choi most certainly called what he did hapkido - this information coming from the dojang where he spent the last ten years of his life.

A few other points: Choi is rightly the founder of Hapkido, why? Well, lets look around a bit. The argument that is being put forward is that Ji made hapkido well known, and added some stuff from unverifiable sources - and maybe created the name - so he is the founder - here I must say no way. True, it seems that Choi was much more interested in what he taught than what it was called, but until 1986, Ji maintained he gave Choi the name to use out of respect (if you believe this...). When it was confirmed that Choi had died, Ji suddenly flipped and became the "Founder" of Hapkido - now, Ji was only ever graded to third dan by Choi, and granted he moved to Seoul and became popular but consider this:

Do we consider Nakayama Sensei the founder of Shotokan? Surely, Nakayama was much more widely known than Funokoshi - Nakayama taught all over the world and is recognized as the man who really spread Shotokan internationally - so, for this is he the founder? Of course not. The founder lays the groundwork of technique from which all others come - e.g. Choi, Yong Sul layed the groundwork for Ji and countless others. Just because they later added to the technique count (in many cases because they did not know more of the original material) does not make them the founders of the art -

Now, did Choi just teach jujitsu, no I don't believe so. He taught a synthesis of the technique he had amassed from 30 years of study in Japan. Remember, Tekada was the head of some 7 or 8 ryu-ha - and Choi was taught a huge amount of material - as evident in the broad spectrum of his technique.

If, as Ji claimed, he created the name Hapkido, and gave it to Choi to use, then grabbing it back after Choi's death is suspect...moreover, Ji would have you believe that he "created" Hapkido at age 21 - I believe this continues to demonstrate the teaching prowess of Choi if he can in such a short time teach anyone enough to think they can start their own style...

Sincerely,

Kevin Sogor

OP
D

Disco

Kevin, just what was the broad spectrum of his technique's? If what has been said about Choi's lack of kicks and strikes is true, then what Ji fashioned, in my mind, is a totally different discipline. Which leads to the apparently unanswerable question; what is true hapkido? In the same vane, what would you say the percentage of people, under the hapkido banner, would be who practice Choi's method as opposed to Ji's method?

:asian:

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Disco,

I'll take a stab at this, an it is REALLY only a guess. But in terms of a percentage, I would guess that about 70%-80% of the Hapkido seen today is of the Ji vein.

Now, in terms of diversity of technique, Choi's material is for combat - plain and simple. I am in my 25th year of Hapkido, and during my recent trip to Korea, I was overwhelmed at how a 125 lbs man standing no more than 5'6" and 76 years of age was able to move me around while smiling and talking (at 6'4" and about 300lbs, I aint light). The number and ferocity of strikes seemed more than adequate - as did the incredible placement of strikes to the weakest parts of the body.

Now, kicking. True, Choi taught very few kicks, but again, this is a FIGHTING style, not a demonstration or sparring style, so low, fast, powerful kicks are the order of the day. Many of the Korean masters I met were vey competant kickers, even showing high kicks - if only to demonstrate how easy they are to defend against,

One last thing, I have always been taught to train against non-compliant, resisting opponents - and my root is the Choi lineage. The stuff I have seen not in that vein very often does not work against an opponent that is fighting back. Simply, what I have seen of the Choi lineage is different from Ji material, not flashy, just really effective.

Sincerely,

Kevin Sogor

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello again,

In terms of the broad spectrum of technique, every type of grab to the body, every type of strike and kick and of course throwing defense are all hallmarks of the Choi material.

Frankly, I believe that Ji's material is not as "powerful" - it is basically the same type of technique, but from what I have seen the methodology behind excecution is different.

In addition, I am still not sure how if all Ji did was learn a simple form of the art, and add some kicks, is it really different? I can't tell ya. I do know one thing, Choi's material works like NO other I have ever seen or felt - plain and simple.

Sincerely,

Kevin Sogor

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this is beginning to point up exactly the issue I mentioned. Lets' take a look at just this single piece.

According to Dojumin Kim, Choi Yong Sul Dojunim taught 16 strikes and 17 kicks. Looking at the revamped curriculum that I use proceeding from KS Myung through Ji from Choi there are easily 50 kicks by the time one gets to BB. I conclude that someone added a whole bunch of kicks that were NOT originally Hapkido after the Choi tradition, and we know that both Ji and Kim Moo Woong were instrumental in doing this. But now--- what have we really figured out? That what Ji does is NOT identical to what Choi taught? Well, DUH!!

Now lets turn to a little different aspect of the discussion--- away from personality and on to execution.

Hapkido at the Yu Sool level does not speak to working against a resistant partner. The fact is that yu sool does not work against someone who is in complete tonus with ever fiber in their body locked in, and nobody attacks this way. Typical training for yu sool level Hapkido is done with a standard firm grab. However, training must work up to that point at which the idea of being grabbed by someone who is stronger, larger or under some extraordinary influence (drugs? alcohol?) in which case the technique must now be executed using the hapki yu sool principles. Essentially the same technique but executed in a slightly (?) different way. I believe THIS and not personalities is what we need to be focusing on.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

OP
D

Disco

Now, in terms of diversity of technique, Choi's material is for combat - plain and simple. I am in my 25th year of Hapkido, and during my recent trip to Korea, I was overwhelmed at how a 125 lbs man standing no more than 5'6" and 76 years of age was able to move me around while smiling and talking (at 6'4" and about 300lbs, I aint light). The number and ferocity of strikes seemed more than adequate - as did the incredible placement of strikes to the weakest parts of the body.

Now, kicking. True, Choi taught very few kicks, but again, this is a FIGHTING style, not a demonstration or sparring style, so low, fast, powerful kicks are the order of the day. Many of the Korean masters I met were vey competant kickers, even showing high kicks - if only to demonstrate how easy they are to defend against,

Now see, here I've learned something...... :partyon:
I was under the mis-information that Choi did no strikes or kicks. I had a hard time dealing with that concept. This puts things in a definitive setting now. In fact, it sounds like I am displaced from the Choi lineage. Everything that you have stated that Choi taught is what I do/teach. My original instructor, Qui In Baik (deceased) spoke lousy english and very little at that. We just smiled and nodded and hit the floor. :wink: I've tried to find some information on him, but come up empty. Bruce gave a number in reference to strikes and kicks (thank you Bruce), that Choi used. The number of strikes and kicks we use is about the same. The variations and combinations is what drives up the total number of techniques available. Another aspect that Bruce mentioned was training against a resistant partner. I don't know if Choi dictated that every technique should be preceded by a strike, but that is the premise that we train under. Anyway, Kevin and Bruce thanks for taking the time to respond. Always appriciated............. :asian:

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greeting

Kevin most of what you said about Ji Han Jae is ridiculous!

Ji may have received only a 3rd Dan directly from Choi before the formation of the Kido Hae and then the KHA. Choi was the 1st President of the Kido Hae and Ji was promoted to Master throught that Association by Choi and had a long tern student teacher relationship.

The technique Ji teaches are the same as Choi's addtional kicks aside. I will admit some of Ji's stuff is from other sources.

If you never trained with Ji for real ( not a seminar or two ) you would realize why Ji is considered the 2nd greatest Hapkido Master under Choi.

In my circles and with-in the KHF it's well known Masters Ji techniques are consider the best in the world, moreover 90% of the HKD practiced in the world today is of Ji's lineage.

With that being said I'm not taking away from what you do I highly respect that tradition.

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Stuart,

No disrespect intended here, if the Ji style works for you thats cool. The information I stated is partially from an interview conducted by Tae Kwon Do Times with Ji - where he states he only trained with Choi for 7 years. My sources in Korea say it was more like three.

I would also question his "long term teacher student relationship" - why would Ji simply turn his back on such a relationship the same month Choi's death was reported - check any 1986 issue of TKD Times to see his flip-flop to "founder" of Hapkido.

Now, I know Ji is your teacher, and again, I don't want to start a war here - we've all been done this road before. But much of this information is from Ji himself. He does seem to jump around a bit with times and dates - and this most recent article in TKD Times even confirms that his training length with Choi was quite short even by his account.

I will admit that I have never trained with the man himself, but with MANY of his students and found their technique to be lacking. Now, in saying that, this is not Ji himself - and maybe HIS technique is stronger - but perhaps my negative view of his students would be less strong if Ji were more conservative in his dispensing of rank. Ji has lots of high dans grades with little or no Hapkido background - a shame really if his technique is that good.

Sincerely,

Kevin Sogor

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear Stuart:

I must tell you in all honesty and all sincerity (and with no intended disrespect) that your position regarding GM Ji is fundamentally flawed---- and once again I will speak not from the basis of history or personalities but from biomechanics and execution.

I had received GM Ji's techniques from him, and they are certainly effective. They are however executed at only the yu sool level of performance. There is nothing wrong with this as people such as my own teacher, GM Myung, have made a complete career of providing this instruction and it can be a very effective and complete art all in its own right.

Now, moving to the next level of Hapkido arts--- hapkiyusool--- I have likewise had occasion to experience both Kim Yung Sang and Lim Hyun Su and must report to you that while the techniques are superficially the same at the gross motor level, the attention to detail is much greater with the hapkiyusool as these rely to a greater degree on exploiting the constructive weaknesses of the body---- what some people might characterize as "pressure point work". Please allow me to pull these two sphere together.

A person who is taught a more sophisticated art albeit more painful can always transmit that art by simplifying the material to make it easier, less demanding, more disposed towards retention or execution and so forth. Its not often that we see people do the opposite and make things more difficult but it DOES happen. My suggestion is that folks such as Ji and Kim probably learned the yu sool material and figured learning the same material at a more demanding level (hapkiyusool) was simply more trouble than it was worth and was less salable as a painful experience. I could imagine them dropping out of Chois' instruction once they hit 3rd dan and they had pretty much gotten most of the yusool stuff they needed. On the other hand, I can likewise imagine that people such as Kim Yun Sang and Lim Hyun Su probably saw the effective but painful material and figured "why even bother with the more primitive introductory stuff. Lets just focus on the hapkiyusool as a distinct art and only have to learn the material once under a single premise of execution."

I will close with one other thought. I have had a chance to work with people who perform both yu sool and hapkiyusool techniques and without knowing better they often mix and match them back and forth as though they are a single family of techniques. To some extent they ARE a single family of techniques but constellation of techniques that make up each practice are more like cousins than twin siblings. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dear Bruce,

I see understand the points your making, and I'd like to have the difference explained and demonstrated.

I can tell you in Ji's classes from 1st gup on he teaches some "Very Effective" material that I personally haven't done with anyone else to date. Meaning it's not new tech. per se but the execution is done in a different way that really changes the whole tech. to what I'll call "real combat effective material".

I think with Ji's teaching it's both Yu Sool & Hapki Yu Sool, which brings up a good topic.

How can one really tell the diference between Yu Sool or Hapki Yu Sool?

Thoughts?

American HKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dear Kevin,

I'm not closed minded or to old to learn something new.

Yes, Ji's is my teacher and I trainined 12 plus years under Master Son Tae Soo (KHF) a very exacting Master. Ji however taught Master Son's teacher.

I earned my rank over many years and much effort and have been training since 1979.

Personally I'm only interested real Hapkido. Techniques that WORK.

Over the years I learned techniques that I questioned as not being really effective in combat or self defense, but I would say 85 to 90% of what I learned really works.
The rest I dont want to practice either.

The following is my own review no offense intended to anyone.

I bought a couple years back the tape series by Rim and Sheya because I wanted to see what Choi (supposedly taught). Rim was supposed to be Choi's head instructor for many years who received a 7th Dan from Choi a Masters rank for sure.

I was totally unimpressed with that tape series. I don't even think half the stuff shown works. Also the previews of Rim doing self defense and knife defense was really poor and unrealistic.

All in all I give the series a 5 out of 10 there was some Ok stuff but the rest was totally alien to me as the Hapkido I learned.

Any thoughts on Rims tape series and the techniques shown?

greendragon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kevin Sogor writes:

I will admit that I have never trained with the man himself, but with MANY of his students and found their technique to be lacking. Now, in saying that, this is not Ji himself - and maybe HIS technique is stronger - but perhaps my negative view of his students would be less strong if Ji were more conservative in his dispensing of rank. Ji has lots of high dans grades with little or no Hapkido background - a shame really if his technique is that good.

Thank you for stating you have never met or trained with him but still have a strong opinion about him. Is this how men talk? I wish you well on the mat...maybe you should find the time to actually meet him and train with him and THEN form your opinion on actual firsthand knowledge but hey this is a free country good luck to you and yours.....maybe one day you will see through the statement you made and be on the other side.

Michael Tomlinson

greendragon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bruce writes:

I had received GM Ji's techniques from him,

Isn't this strethching your one day in training with Ji Han Jae a little bit? Come on now, this post sounds like you have worked out with him a lot and understand his Hapkido....
Michael Tomlinson

Latest Discussions