curious

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, my statement isn't as clear as it should've been. GM Kang, my KJN is Kukkiwon certified, so by that fact, I have roots through the KKW. However, no bb under him is KKW certified and we do not teach a KKW curriculum. All of our terminology is pre-KKW and all of our forms are pre-KKW. What I meant by my previous statement is that I do not practice a curriculum based on the ITF or the KKW.

Because GM Kang is Kukkiwon certified, does that in any way make you to also desire kukkiwon certification for yourself and your students? What will happen when GM Kang is no longer around to certify you?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
it isnt MY flag, so it isnt MY way of hanging it Hoss.

so you again are being petty

Ten years ago, during the USTU hate fest, some american borns were criticizing their korean born teachers and seniors for displaying the flag like how is shown in the video. Those americans cited to the United States Code (federal law) on the proper way to display the american flag. Their argument was that these Korean born seniors and teachers had no respect for the american flag, and by extension, had no respect for the US or americans. Some made a really big deal out of it. How did the korean born instructors respond? They changed the way they hang the american flag in their dojang and followed the proper protocols for such.

Now here it is, ten years later, and miguksaram makes a simple observation, and you respond in a different fashion. If you or your instructor wish to hang the flag in contradiction to american federal law, then that is your choice. no problem.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
it isnt MY flag, so it isnt MY way of hanging it Hoss.

I know the flag in the video isn't yours, however, you did say
what you said said:
thats how we hang the stars and stripes here
Still seems like you are getting upset over a small little observation.

he isnt korean. Pretty sure i said that, leme see.

yep right there
"He is half white, and half korean on his mother's side. Army brat. American, doesnt speak a word of korean."
Which is why I asked if you told him he was a 1/2 liar and thief....(the Korean half of course)
so you again are being petty

sorry the truth makes your *** so sore.
How is it petty when I am simply restating what you wrote before...seems like you are the one with a bit of sand in the bum.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i get it, i peed in your cheerios (didnt mean to but still) and you are picking at me over little crap cuz....well, thats all you got, little, petty crap

i was right and you are still butthurt over it.

let it go dude

you are just making yourself look small and petty.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hang mine horizontally, and I am not in the business of correcting my instructor.

sidebar:
there was a hatefest 10 years ago?

Ten years ago, during the USTU hate fest, some american borns were criticizing their korean born teachers and seniors for displaying the flag like how is shown in the video. Those americans cited to the United States Code (federal law) on the proper way to display the american flag. Their argument was that these Korean born seniors and teachers had no respect for the american flag, and by extension, had no respect for the US or americans. Some made a really big deal out of it. How did the korean born instructors respond? They changed the way they hang the american flag in their dojang and followed the proper protocols for such.

Now here it is, ten years later, and miguksaram makes a simple observation, and you respond in a different fashion. If you or your instructor wish to hang the flag in contradiction to american federal law, then that is your choice. no problem.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because GM Kang is Kukkiwon certified, does that in any way make you to also desire kukkiwon certification for yourself and your students? What will happen when GM Kang is no longer around to certify you?

It is something that I have thought about, and honestly I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about it. On the one hand, the Kukkiwon is the NGO of Korea, the birthplace of my art. On the other hand, I do not practice the curriculum of the KKW. I do not know the Taeguk Poomsae or any of the yudanja poomsae, which I assume is a requirement for certification. I also do not know all of the terminology that is supported by the KKW. For example we use the term Jassae for stance rather than Seogi (I believe that's what is used in KKW). I know these are small differences, but it almost seems like I would be learning a new style to get myself up to speed for KKW certification.

It was also my understanding that part of the reason the USTW was formed back in 1999 was to provide a path of certification for the "old school" dojangs that continued to teach the old kwan curricula. Admittedly, the USTW fell prey to what most organizations do (internal political conflict), and it is now a much smaller organization. However, if GM Kang and GM Ahn were founding members of an organization with such a vision, then the organization still holds weight to me.

KKW certification is still something that I contemplate, I'm just not exactly sure how I personally feel about it, or for that matter, how my KJN feels about it. Something I shall have to ask him one of these days.. .

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hang mine horizontally, and I am not in the business of correcting my instructor.

I hang mine horizontally as well. And you could simply mention it politely to your instructor. Or not. I know I appreciate it when a student of mine or others politely mention things like that to me.

sidebar:
there was a hatefest 10 years ago?

Yes there was.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i get it, i peed in your cheerios (didnt mean to but still) and you are picking at me over little crap cuz....well, thats all you got, little, petty crap
No actually did not pee in anything. You are the one that blew my statement up about the flag, not me. Your rantings about Koreans lying about the history remind me of the story of the two Buddhist monks and the lady. (indulge me)

An older monk and a disciple were walking to the temple when they came upon a very pretty lady who was having problems crossing the stream. The head monk offered to carry the lady much to the protest of the disciple, who reminded him that it was not right for them to come in physical contact with females. The older monk disregarded him and carried the lady across the stream. He put her down and she thanked him and the two monks walked. A while had past and the disciple started ranting again how it was wrong for the older monk to do what he did and how he should have known better. The older monk finally turned to the younger one said, I put that lady down a long time ago. Why do you still carry her?

So I have to ask, the Koreans have since owned up to their past about TKD, so why are you so adamant about crying foul about the past even today?

i was right and you are still butthurt over it.

let it go dude

you are just making yourself look small and petty.
They way you keep ranting about how horrible the Koreans are, it seems like you were the one who got bad touched by one of them.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I hang mine horizontally as well. And you could simply mention it politely to your instructor. Or not. I know I appreciate it when a student of mine or others politely mention things like that to me.
I actually did mention it to my Korean GM before. He smiled and said thanks and we changed it around. You would be surprised but many Americans do not know the rule about hanging the flag correctly when they hang it vertically.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
, and I am not in the business of correcting my instructor.

QUOTE]

As memory serves I was on the recieving end of a certain amount of acrimony for suggesting that you ask your instructor a question.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
11h83k0.jpg

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is something that I have thought about, and honestly I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about it. On the one hand, the Kukkiwon is the NGO of Korea, the birthplace of my art. On the other hand, I do not practice the curriculum of the KKW. I do not know the Taeguk Poomsae or any of the yudanja poomsae, which I assume is a requirement for certification. I also do not know all of the terminology that is supported by the KKW. For example we use the term Jassae for stance rather than Seogi (I believe that's what is used in KKW). I know these are small differences, but it almost seems like I would be learning a new style to get myself up to speed for KKW certification.

GM Kang I am assuming practices the same style that you do and he got Kukkiwon certification. Why can't you obtain the same for yourself and your students? If it is good enough for GM Kang, it is good enough for you and your lineage.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score

It was also my understanding that part of the reason the USTW was formed back in 1999 was to provide a path of certification for the "old school" dojangs that continued to teach the old kwan curricula. Admittedly, the USTW fell prey to what most organizations do (internal political conflict), and it is now a much smaller organization. However, if GM Kang and GM Ahn were founding members of an organization with such a vision, then the organization still holds weight to me.

KKW certification is still something that I contemplate, I'm just not exactly sure how I personally feel about it, or for that matter, how my KJN feels about it. Something I shall have to ask him one of these days.. .
I am in the same boat. My GM has kukkiwon certification from years ago but has since distanced the club from the kukkiwon. I dont feel the need for a kukkiwon cert because I dont know the kukkiwon curriculum so it would seem a little odd having certification for something I dont know. I remember when I was younger my shotokan instructor held black belts in both shotokan and aikido, but had a shotokan school. Each time I was promoted I didnt expect certs for both arts because I was only learning shotokan so I wasnt going to ask for rank in aikido. Thats how I view my tkd, just because once upon a time my GM taught kukkiwon tkd doesnt mean now 20 years on teaching something different he should hand out kukkiwon certs just because he can, even though its not what he teaches now.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
so hard to call points whenthey wont stop swinging....

WTF rules allow for continuous sparring. No calling of points in the middle of the round. Blue has the better stance as well. I don't think red lands a single shot.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
The shotokan karate of FUNAKOSHI Yoshitaka Sensei, who was GM LEE Won Kuk's teacher, was more focused on weight transfer than merely hip twist. Yoshitaka Sensei put his whole body into his techniques, which was passed on to the students of the Chung Do Kwan. An example of this can be found in the kukkiwon poomsae hansu, in those three punches in the beginning.

When I was young and trained in Isshin Ryu, I remember an emphasis on hip movement, it stood out because in boxing, they told us to turn our hips and shoulders to make more power. I remember the seniors in class had this explosive and spring back action movement to their hips, all in high narrow stance. Years later I trained with guys from a Shotokan group, from Okazaki Sensei I believe, and they really worked the lunging weight forward thing. What a drastic difference between the two.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u

When you say pre-Kukkiwon curriculum I assume you mean a curriculum from some point in time of the old Taekwondo Moodukkwan. or maybe the older Tang Soo Do Moodukkwan? Do you and your students apply for certification through Soobahkdo Moodukkwan, Korea --- or Taekwondo Moodukkwan, Korea?

I know GM Ahn changed over to Kukkiwon style from Tang Soo Do back in the 70's, but he still received his 9th Dan from Taekwondo Moodukkwan, in addition to Kukkiwon.

Latest Discussions