Coronavirus/Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That doesn’t suggest we should stop paying attention to Coronavirus diseases. Rather, try at we should pay more attention to those. For the suicide epidemic, unfortunately, we don’t seem to have a model for altering that number greatly.

The Coronavirus is what it is, we do get regular 'visits' from viruses, if people have good hygiene anyway they are less at risk of catching a lot of things, with all this handwashing etc I'd hope food poisoning and the transmitting of colds and flu would lessen. Posting up numbers of people who died from Coronavirus, arguing about hand sanitisers ( small bottles are selling online for 50 times what they normally sell at and are being stolen from hospitals), not drinking Corona beer, beating up Asian people and crying 'woe is us' is pointless.

the Yorkshire view.
Coronavirus: why we must all keep calm and carry on – Jayne Dowle

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some of us have made it through but I wouldn't classify it as "seem to have done just fine."

"Seem to have done fine" to me = a cure or successful treatment. It's just a numbers game until that happens where the higher the population is, the more likely you'll have survivors from that population.

Small pox:

On average, 3 out of every 10 people who got it died. the disease accounted for nearly 400,000 deaths each year, including five kings. Of those surviving, one-third were blinded. The worldwide death toll was staggering and continued well into the twentieth century, where mortality has been estimated at 300 to 500 million.
Historical Highlights:
  • 6th Century – Increased trade with China and Korea introduces smallpox into Japan.
  • 7th Century – Arab expansion spreads smallpox into northern Africa, Spain, and Portugal.
  • 11th Century – Crusades further spread smallpox in Europe.
  • 15th Century – Portuguese occupation introduces smallpox into part of western Africa.
  • 16th Century – European colonization and the African slave trade import smallpox into the Caribbean and Central and South America.
  • 17th Century – European colonization imports smallpox into North America.
  • 18th Century – Exploration by Great Britain introduces smallpox into Australia.

The Black Plague

the Black Death would kill more than 20 million people in Europe – almost one-third of the continent’s population.

The Spanish flu
The great flu pandemic of 1918 and 1919 is estimated to have killed between 30 million and 50 million people worldwide.

Measles:
n 2012, approximately 122,000 people worldwide died from the measles

Typhoid fever kills around 216,000 people a year. Tuberculosis, an infectious bacterial disease, killed an estimated 1.3 million in 2012.

These are just some of the numbers of some of the illnesses that we people had to deal with in the past or in the present.

I don't think viruses care if they kill alot or kill a few. I don't think they operate on a self-awareness like that. When you look at the size of a virus, then an adult body is more than enough real estate for reproduction and thriving. The fact that viruses spread as fast as they shows the efficiency of it's ability to thrive. Even if the host dies, there is still risk of spreading. Just because the host is dead doesn't mean the virus is dead. Many viruses don't kill there host right away. They always stay long enough for another host to arrive. Some have the ability to jump from Species to Species. So to me it seems like viruses are evolutionary sound.

A virus that can be transmitted from animal human may not kill or even affect the animal but may have devastating effects on human hosts. I think people put a human logic on other life forms. If killing the host is bad, then killing the predator that kills your host is good. The more predators the virus can kill then, the more likely the host can survive. While I personally don't believe virus can plan something like that, if I were to take your statement "because virus that kill a significant number of host are self limiting their exposure to new hosts so are not evolutionary sound." Then I would have to entertain the possibility that a virus that kills, only does so with the goal that it's killing the predator of it's original host. (which may be an animal). The more predators that die, the more likely their original host will survive.
its difficult to have a conversation about virus with someone who seemingly doesnt know the differance between a virus and a baterial infection, half of what youve stated above are bacteria

so basics

its debatable if a virus counts as life, it doesnt have dna, its self replicating rna, if it does its decended from the oldest ''life ;'' on the planet, either way virus and multicellulare organisms have co existed, since thestart of multi cell life

cell organisms have developed immune systems and virus have developed not to kill everything, as with no hoists they cant replicate. they need us, mostly alive

small pox was a significant problem to the new world and other new places as they lacked inherited immune responce, something that was quite common in europe, the black death was of course a bactial infection, and could be quite simply treated with antibiotics these days

the spanish flu is something of an anomily, it killed a lot of healthy young people, ive seen it postulated that a good number of the deaths were caused by aspin over dose, there after it wasnt the virus that killed people it was their own immune system going into over drive, either way since it hasnt happened again on any scale, its seem evolution has corrected the anomily, and we are back to virus only killing those with compromised immune systems, which is as its always been

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
its difficult to have a conversation about virus with someone who seemingly doesnt know the differance between a virus and a baterial infection, half of what youve stated above are bacteria

so basics

its debatable if a virus counts as life, it doesnt have dna, its self replicating rna, if it does its decended from the oldest ''life ;'' on the planet, either way virus and multicellulare organisms have co existed, since thestart of multi cell life

cell organisms have developed immune systems and virus have developed not to kill everything, as with no hoists they cant replicate. they need us, mostly alive

small pox was a significant problem to the new world and other new places as they lacked inherited immune responce, something that was quite common in europe, the black death was of course a bactial infection, and could be quite simply treated with antibiotics these days

the spanish flu is something of an anomily, it killed a lot of healthy young people, ive seen it postulated that a good number of the deaths were caused by aspin over dose, there after it wasnt the virus that killed people it was their own immune system going into over drive, either way since it hasnt happened again on any scale, its seem evolution has corrected the anomily, and we are back to virus only killing those with compromised immune systems, which is as its always been
Yes; one of the links in my previous post does a good job of highlighting how much age, health, healthcare access, and population density plays a factor.
I pray it is not another swine flu like event and is mostly media hype (which I disdain).
FWIW, as of right now, we are Way behind the averages for the last few years.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your assertion assumes the gel penetrates what’s on the hand (mucus, etc.) containing those germs. What I’ve read states it’s not good at that. It is only at its full effectiveness on clean skin. Hand washing removes what the virus hides in, and the virus with it.
may be we are talking about different things ? im talking about anti bacterial soap, ( solid, liqued or thick liqued other wise known as gel), which as the name sugests is SOAP that a) washes and b) kills bacteria that the wasing leaves behind. the main complainst against it, arnt that is leaves bacteria, it doesnt in mucus or anything else, its that it to effective and washes away bacteria that you need to be healthy and will in time give rise to super bugs.

i use it on my smelly bits, mostly my feet, that are prone to get a bit ripe if only washed in soap and water, as that leaves behind a significant % of the bacterial collony, which soon replenish themselves to there previous numbers and stinkyness. i wash them first in bio wash and then with soap ) shower gel) and they stay fresh for a considerable period of time, becouse ALL( but 1 %) the bacteria are dead

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
may be we are talking about different things ? im talking about anti bacterial soap, ( solid, liqued or thick liqued other wise known as gel), which as the name sugests is SOAP that a) washes and b) kills bacteria that the wasing leaves behind. the main complainst against it, arnt that is leaves bacteria, it doesnt in mucus or anything else, its that it to effective and washes away bacteria that you need to be healthy and will in time give rise to super bugs.

i use it on my smelly bits, mostly my feet, that are prone to get a bit ripe if only washed in soap and water, as that leaves behind a significant % of the bacterial collony, which soon replenish themselves to there previous numbers and stinkyness. i wash them first in bio wash and then with soap ) shower gel) and they stay fresh for a considerable period of time, becouse ALL( but 1 %) the bacteria are dead

A lot of BJJ, grapplers and Judo people use the anti bacterial soap. I use it in the kitchen for washing hands before and after handling food.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
have you read that? it seems not as it doesnt say anti bac soap isnt better than non anti bac soap at killing nastys, it certainly doesnt say it isnt as good.

it does say that some of the ingredients may be harmful in the long term

it salso says that some contribute is making reststant strains of bacteria, which would only happen if they were indeed killing bacteria

as ive said before in every day life it makes no differance as you have an immune system, if you particulary want to kill nastys then its the correct thing to be using

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
it does say that some of the ingredients may be harmful in the long term

Well that certainly sounds like something you'd want to use. #facepalm

it salso says that some contribute is making reststant strains of bacteria, which would only happen if they were indeed killing bacteria

Dead bacteria don't develop resistance. They have to be alive to develop resistance. Ergo... it's not killing them.

as ive said before in every day life it makes no differance as you have an immune system,

Right. Because nobody ever gets sick in every day life. You've said some massively idiotic things in the past, but this one certainly ranks in the top 5. On the other hand, given that it's you.... top 10.

if you particulary want to kill nastys then its the correct thing to be using

And yet, when you show up with a cut that needs sutured, we use plain old soap and water to clean it first.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well that certainly sounds like something you'd want to use. #facepalm

Dead bacteria don't develop resistance. They have to be alive to develop resistance. Ergo... it's not killing them.

Right. Because nobody ever gets sick in every day life. You've said some massively idiotic things in the past, but this one certainly ranks in the top 5. On the other hand, given that it's you.... top 10.

And yet, when you show up with a cut that needs sutured, we use plain old soap and water to clean it first.
people get sick all the time, they dont ussually die, because eventually their immune system wins.

your arguring with the fda that says it can cause super bugs, so youl need to take it up with them

in civilised countries they use anti septic to clean wounds, sure in backwoods places its only water, that why uk ERs unit smell of antispetic

OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm going to be the voice of people with compromised immune systems for a moment. Crohn's, Colitis, Lupus, MS, Rheumatiod and Psoritiatic arthritis and an on-going list of other auto-immune illnesses are invisible to most people. Friends, neighbors, and even people you are training with manage these illnesses every hour of every day without ever saying a word or calling attention to them. Both their illness and the medications used to control them put them into that "...unless you have an underlying condition..." category.

I would encourage everyone not to be so dismissive with that throw-away line. I'm not going to go digging for statistics, which just encourage competing statistics, but someone you care about is concerned about this in ways that you are not.

Bottom line on this virus, it's probably not the plague and we are better at medicine than we used to be, so we collectively will likely find some medical response to it at some point. But, it's way too early to write it off as inconsequential. We're going to be learning about it very quickly over the next weeks and months.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm going to be the voice of people with compromised immune systems for a moment. Crohn's, Colitis, Lupus, MS, Rheumatiod and Psoritiatic arthritis and an on-going list of other auto-immune illnesses are invisible to most people. Friends, neighbors, and even people you are training with manage these illnesses every hour of every day without ever saying a word or calling attention to them. Both their illness and the medications used to control them put them into that "...unless you have an underlying condition..." category.

I would encourage everyone not to be so dismissive with that throw-away line. I'm not going to go digging for statistics, which just encourage competing statistics, but someone you care about is concerned about this in ways that you are not.

Bottom line on this virus, it's probably not the plague and we are better at medicine than we used to be, so we collectively will likely find some medical response to it at some point. But, it's way too early to write it off as inconsequential. We're going to be learning about it very quickly over the next weeks and months.

I don't think it's a throwaway line. Those who have those conditions know how to be careful with their health. It's more aimed at preventing mass panic from those who don't have those conditions.

OP
ShortBridge

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My point is that it's more people than you think and unless they've chosen to share you don't know who they are or even if you are talking to one of them.

And, some of them don't know who they are either. It's not easy or cheap to diagnose some of these things.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a throwaway line.

True, it's not. However, it's important to remember that there are literally millions of people in the world with compromised immune systems.

Those who have those conditions know how to be careful with their health.

You'd like to think, but not necessarily.

It's more aimed at preventing mass panic from those who don't have those conditions.

If you want to prevent mass panic, you'll need a time machine to go back and totally change the way this has been handled.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would encourage everyone not to be so dismissive with that throw-away line. I'

As one of those compromised persons I am not dismissing anything nor am I writing off as inconsequential however I am not panic buying, nor thinking we're all doomed. However the way it's being dealt with by authorities varies vastly from country to country.

It's not easy or cheap to diagnose some of these things.

Cost me absolutely nothing to be diagnosed and supposing I get the virus it will cost me nothing to have treatment.

hat why uk ERs unit smell of antispetic

This is true. Quite pleasant.
In my house we chuck 'purple spray' on wounds, whether its cats, dogs, cows, sheep, humans etc lol. Doesn't work on fish though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I, too, am one of those people with a compromised immune system. I also work at one of the filthiest airports I've ever seen.

But, hey, you be careful and do what you can to protect yourself and everybody else. And always keep in mind what the job of the media is. It's not to inform, it's to sell soap. By that I mean to sell commercial airtime.

"Your life is in danger!!! Film at eleven."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions