Coronavirus/Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well you definitely turned up with out the required documentation when expecting health care in a foreign country, and them blame the health care for your delay in treatment, once that level of stupidity and entitlement is establish its a fair guess your daft enough to stick your thumb in the machine. i suppose your blaming the machine ?
Again, you show you ignorance with exuberance. This was in the 90's. All you needed to cross into Canada from the US was you photo ID drivers license and. There was no mandate for any 'required documentation'. A stupid assertion.

Paperwork issues aside, the point I was trying to make was how poor the service was once I was finally seen by a doctor. Obviously, you missed all that after I made the 'incoherent British accent' comment. Thin skinned much?

You really need to crawl out from under your rock and realize there is a great big world that lives very differently from the apparent pathetic existence you are living. You are VERY narrow minded.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i ve just googled it, there is no reciprocal health care agreement between the US and Canada, this mostly , because the US wont have reciprocal health care agreements with anyone, you either have insurance or die

Canada faced with a not inconsiderable number of american coming over the border to try and get life saving treatment, has humanly limited such treatment, emergency, to that which sustains life after that your obliged to transfer yourself to an american hospital, irrespective of if you can pay or not. your still taking up resources that Canadians have paid for, so flashing your credit card about will get you nowhere, and US medical insurance wont work there,,, your getting patched up and sent home, which is seemingly what happened.

whilst this may appear to you to be under resourced health car, it is infact, the system working as designed and should really be a matter to take up with your congress man,

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again, you show you ignorance with exuberance. This was in the 90's. All you needed to cross into Canada from the US was you photo ID drivers license and. There was no mandate for any 'required documentation'. A stupid assertion.

Paperwork issues aside, the point I was trying to make was how poor the service was once I was finally seen by a doctor. Obviously, you missed all that after I made the 'incoherent British accent' comment. Thin skinned much?

You really need to crawl out from under your rock and realize there is a great big world that lives very differently from the apparent pathetic existence you are living. You are VERY narrow minded.
i can see you've not travelled much , despite the Fact you can just drive over the border Canada is a foreign country

if you travel to a foreign country, you are general not entitled to health care, unless there is a reciprocal agreement between the counties or you have insurance which is valid in that country, ie not america only insurance. its what we globe trotters call '' travel insurance '' i was at one point walking found with a £ million in kidnap insurance, this may be a bit over the top for Canada, should should be considered if you ever stray out of north america

any one who doesn't verify what they need BEFORE finding they need medical attention are stupid in the extreme.

even counties with reciprocal agreements require you to produce documentation proving that

as it is, the politics between the two counties mean your getting patched up and sent home, no matter what you have, in which case insurance that covers your repatriation in an air ambulance seems wise

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, my Master has suspended some of our special classes for the next month and a half. In part because I'm sick today. I don't think it's COVID-19 at this point, maybe allergies or a cold. If I get a fever I'll definitely call my doctor.

Our regular classes are still on, but our special classes are on break. One of those is Hapkido, which is probably a good thing since Hapkido is basically aggressive handshakes.
Take care of yourself Skribs.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
it cant have been understaffed or they would have been a big queue

It's cute that you think the triage desk is the only place a staffing bottleneck will form.
In point of fact, it is far, far more likely to occur in the back. Come to our ED at 0300 and there are almost certainly going to be empty beds. And they're likely to stay empty, because we don't have the staff for them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah true, makes sense in that regard hey.. I just wonder how far this will be taken, AND if it is indeed a truly necessary measure yet. I don't know if it's something that spreads more rapidly than any other virus. Just keep hearing very mixed stuff about it in terms of numbers, percentages, rate of increase, whether it's nothing at all to worry about vs. it being at serious level etc..
From what I can tell so far, it looks to be about as contagious as the flu (which is pretty easily spread), and significantly more likely to turn deadly (though still a relatively small %), especially among specific groups. And it appears that many folks carry it awhile before showing symptoms...if they ever do, at all. Each of those points taken alone sounds not so bad. Put together, it has the potential to be a real problem if it spreads through a population.

But not nearly so bad as the run on toilet paper and hand sanitizer would suggest.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was in the 90's.

Well that's a reason to judge a country's health system in 2020. :rolleyes:

the point I was trying to make was how poor the service was once I was finally seen by a doctor.

Your complaint is actually about one doctor then not a whole country's hospitals, doctors, nurses and healthcare system.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for actually answering the original question ("what are you doing about...") which I find much more interesting and salient than comparing the shortcomings of various national medical systems (each system fails in some way, the question is how and whom).

My sensei cancelled an event last weekend but continues to hold regular classes. My gut says that in light of Friday's declaration of national emergency, followed by our local school district declaring closure, he should go a step further and shut down for a week or two. But he thinks not only would that gesture be empty, but in its own way irresponsible, giving the false impression that things are all better. I'm not sure I agree with that perspective, but not sure I can dismiss it outright either.

What do folks (especially those from the US) think on the matter of temporary closure?
Thanks!
-Dave
I don’t see much point in preemptive closure for small venues, outside of hotspot areas.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I've yet to find is the population per square mile. so for instance here in NY most of the museums have shut down. But the hospitals remain open, and I guarantee you that they have a higher population density than the average museum.
I think that’s a matter of necessary functions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions