Coming soon to your home: Your Own McDojo!

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Truthfully, I've delayed setting it up d/t the obvious hoaxes implied on the box; but, as soon as I do set it up (and, I will have to), I will attempt an impartial review.

Definately. Keep us posted. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wallpaper why would anybody want to hurt a wall with this gabbge.
Terry

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Man I saw that at the mall the other day, it was in KB toys...WTF...anywho...Great wallpaper...although it is not the one I am currently using.

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, one of the kids at our dojo got one of these for xmas. She brought the dvd in to show Sensei. His blunt review? "Utter crap!"

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Actually, one of the kids at our dojo got one of these for xmas. She brought the dvd in to show Sensei. His blunt review? "Utter crap!"

It comes with a dvd? I can only imagine what must be on it... :rolleyes:

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
green meanie said:
It comes with a dvd? I can only imagine what must be on it... :rolleyes:

Well, it is crap; from an adult's point of view. It starts out with very generic CGI to introduce Tommy Nitro, a piebald karate master kid. He has 2 students onscreen with him and, initially, he takes the viewer through some basics. Technique is not wrong; but, it is a bit over the top.

I didn't watch the whole dvd; but, it seems ok for kids with no MA experience. I'll post more later.

Also, the mat we got has dragons on it, too!

Memorable quote: "That's using your Dojo Mojo!"

Not to be confused with...

Attachments

• $mojomug.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 104

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I really doubt that there will be anything truely usefull. Although we need to look at the positive of the item. It may influence children to ask there parents to let them go to a real karate class of some sort. Children can even go to a McDojo and get what they need out of it...and then later on in life going to a more...legit place

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Memorable quote: "That's using your Dojo Mojo!"

Not to be confused with...

Mojo Jo Jo!!! That's just too funny. :boing1:

And I actually have a mini update of my own. I had a little girl stop by last night who was interested in taking lessons. She showed up to class in the uniform that comes with this toy -how nice of them to give her a black belt. But I gotta say, the positive side of this is it got her interested in taking lessons -which also got her friend and her little brother interested in taking lessons. Now I have three new students, and whether I like it or not, I owe it to this little nightmare in a box.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
green meanie said:
And I actually have a mini update of my own. I had a little girl stop by last night who was interested in taking lessons. She showed up to class in the uniform that comes with this toy -how nice of them to give her a black belt. But I gotta say, the positive side of this is it got her interested in taking lessons -which also got her friend and her little brother interested in taking lessons. Now I have three new students, and whether I like it or not, I owe it to this little nightmare in a box.

*shrug* Jackie Chan's Legend Of The Drunken Master got me interested. Every bit as unrealistic as Nitro's toy.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
*shrug* Jackie Chan's Legend Of The Drunken Master got me interested. Every bit as unrealistic as Nitro's toy.

I know what you mean and I think to some degree or another we all were inspired to begin because of something like that. Carradine's Kung Fu and Star Wars are what got me interested. Batman comics were also a big influence. But damn, Lucas is the biggest merchandizing whore on the planet and even he has the good sense not to try and sell a Jedi Knight home study course. I think that's what we're looking at when it comes to something like this. But some good has come from this for me and my school and hopefully that will be the case for some of you as well.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
green meanie said:
Mojo Jo Jo!!! That's just too funny. :boing1:

Similar story at our school. Some boy's Mom came to our school and asked if we could host a birthday party for her son, who had been given one of these kits. My instructor told her we would, for only $50, if she brought all the refreshments, we would do some fun "martial arts' type activities for the kids of 5 & 6 years old. So, we did some basic animal stances (being Shaolin Kempo and all...), how to do a front punch and a palm heel (they LOVED hitting BOB), and then we tried to break some boards with the palm heel. None of the kids could do it, but 2 of the moms did LOL. Everyone had a good time, no cake got into our floor, and we will probaly get at least 2 sign-ups out of it.

-David

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Similar story at our school. Some boy's Mom came to our school and asked if we could host a birthday party for her son, who had been given one of these kits. My instructor told her we would, for only $50, if she brought all the refreshments, we would do some fun "martial arts' type activities for the kids of 5 & 6 years old. So, we did some basic animal stances (being Shaolin Kempo and all...), how to do a front punch and a palm heel (they LOVED hitting BOB), and then we tried to break some boards with the palm heel. None of the kids could do it, but 2 of the moms did LOL. Everyone had a good time, no cake got into our floor, and we will probaly get at least 2 sign-ups out of it.

-David

I think that's really cool. I've never had the opportunity to do the birthday party thing. I don't know if that accidently puts us into the same category as clown, magician, and pony, or not but it sounds like a lot of fun. :)

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My boy came downstairs last nigt, after training with Sensei Tommy Nitro, ad showed me several basic moves he learned off the DVD. He showed me a lunge punch, roundhouse kick and front snap kick. He then rattled off several karate terms and their meaning. He was very excited that he learned this from the dvd. So excited, it seems that he forgot having learned it in class with me.

The enemies in the dvd, it should be noted, are called Crimson Sausages.

heheh

Latest Discussions