Coming soon to your home: Your Own McDojo!

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Who is Tommy Nitro first of all? Second it appears that I took the hard way in studying the martial arts. If I had known this was coming I would have held off on all of those classes that I went to.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
Who is Tommy Nitro first of all? Second it appears that I took the hard way in studying the martial arts. If I had known this was coming I would have held off on all of those classes that I went to.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob
I wouldn't be surprised if Tommy Nitro is a cartoon character...

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
But don't you think the kid's gain in confidence and his practice punching and kicking (as mis-informed as it might be) will improve his ability to sand up to another kid trying to bully him?

I would normally be tempted to say 'yes' but...

One idea that gets thrown around here, or a fairly common occurance, is the danger in acting based on a false sense of confidence based on training when attempting to apply that training inappropriately. I think one of the most-oft used examples is people who do Taekwondo for sport-sparring and when they get in a conflict they do very poorly because there sport sparring gave them confidence in self-defense but the techniques they learn/train/try-to-use are not adequate for the real world. They had confidence, but it was a false sese of confidence that led them into a situation they thought they could handle, and they couldn't.

The other thread of conversation that comes up is that...technique against a bag is not the same as technique against an opponent. Kicking drills against an air-filled bag are good for working on technique, but it's a far cry from kicking against a moving opponent, and when you are against a real opponent, they are not going to do what you expect, or react how you expect.

Hitting a tee-ball off a teemay give someone the confidence then can hit a homerun against a real pitch, and having confidence is much better than having no confidence. But having misplaced confidence and poor knowldge and technique is more likely to get you in trouble then it is to be to your advantage

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
But don't you think the kid's gain in confidence and his practice punching and kicking (as mis-informed as it might be) will improve his ability to sand up to another kid trying to bully him?

Anything is possible, but who is going to correct the child if she/he is doing the moves wrong?? Whats the use of throwing a strike if its done incorrectly?

Mike

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's ben a long time since I was bullied on a playground... but it seems to me that the bullies pick on the easy meat. Stand up to them once and they go find easier prey. We're not talking about adults thinking they are Jeff Speakman and challenging a room full of TKD guys.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
yea i seen this at target not to long ago there is a bunch of stuff they make now kinda nuts but hey some one is making money and also watering down martial arts

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
yea i seen this at target not to long ago there is a bunch of stuff they make now kinda nuts but hey some one is making money and also watering down martial arts

Thats true, someone is making alot of money off of these products. Its actually sad to think that people knowingly do this just to make a few $$. As for watering the arts down, again I agree. There are people out there that already have a distorted view of what the arts are and things like this IMO certainly don't help much.

Mike

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is bad. Can't say much more about it. At least the Power Rangers issue from back in the 90's was about a BLATANTLY obvious Sci-Fi/Fantasy setting. Flying people, incredible machines, monsters, good vs evil, etc... This is something that may tell kids that if they watch this video enough that they will be proficient in Tommy Nitro Do. Well they may be, but it is most likely that it isn't good enough to stand up against anything. I'm not calling false advertising I'm calling false empowerment. Man, Target and WalMart have these kits and all the add-ons where I live. My training buddy, his wife and my girlfriend (who happens to know about jack in the MAs) sees the possible damage that this can do. Damage to our industry, already marred image and (the worst part) physical/mental wellbeing of the kids that take this thing seriously. It would be nice if the kids can make that ditinction without talk or proper guidance but we know that there are some that can't/won't. It's not their fault. It's just going to create some bumps along the way.

On a side note: Heh, the last time I said something like this it was on another board (I play tournament paintball too) and some 15 year old kid that has seen the world and knows all got up in my face and called all others that agreed with me, which is about everyone in the thread, a soccer mom. I love the greater percentage of maturity here than over there.

I guess I can say more! LOL!

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I thought Tommy Nitro was a Power Ranger...nothing at www.tonynitro.com yet.

Enter my geekyness...

Tommy Nitro isn't a Power Ranger. Tommy (the OG Green Ranger) is played by Jason David Frank. (Yeah, 3 first names. I believe it's a stage name, I can't remember.) Being in a predominently Asian household I grew up with a TON of Asian stuff in my home long before it came out here. Power (Go)Rangers is one of them. Man the Japanese stuff is WAY cooler than the watered down American stuff. Anyway, the Green Ranger is probably the ONLY guy that I respect as a martial artist. I'm sure that besides the career digging grave that he got into by being in this show that he dug, he wouldn't get any lower by doing this. At least I hope not. LOL!

Oh yeah, check out www.supersentai.com. Pretty cool stuff.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw this at Target when shopping for the kids this past Christmas and believe me, it made my stomach turn too.

But, just for the sake of argument:

I work out and train with boxers on occasion and they take their art/sport very serious too. In contrast to how we all seem to feel about this nightmare in a box, they seem very pleased when boxing-like toys (i.e. the blow-up clown with the weighted bottom, the huge blow up gloves, rock 'em sock 'em, etc.) come out. They feel instills interest in their sport at a young age.

Should we feel the same way? 'Cause I don't know. I'm trying to, but it sure ain't easy. :disgust:

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hopefully it will lead in to an interest in the martial arts. Hopefully there will be a good teacher in a good dojo/dojang for the kid with this thing to turn to. Hopefully it will help a child's interest in martial arts work through its phase and we'll have fewer dabblers.

Who knows?

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Hopefully it will lead in to an interest in the martial arts. Hopefully there will be a good teacher in a good dojo/dojang for the kid with this thing to turn to. Hopefully it will help a child's interest in martial arts work through its phase and we'll have fewer dabblers.

Who knows?

One can only hope. ANNNND this may be the original intent of some real Martial Artist that came up with this idea before becoming commercialized to hell. It's just too bad that the end product is still the end product. Time will tell. I just don't want to see this thing on some consumer watch tainting the name of the arts.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:

Who knows?

That IS a lot of hopefully's but that really is all we can do; hope. :)

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
It is a little cheezy, but alot of kids need that to keep there attension. Really, the kids shouldnt be there if they are not able to handle a real class, but alot of kids are pressured by the parents, and really dont want to be there it seems. At least at my school. So you have to make it as fun as possible while still teaching them something.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a bit of irony: my 7 year old got one of these from his idolized big sister; so, now, I have to set it up and blah blah blah. *Sigh*

Dalum

Green Belt
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Here's a bit of irony: my 7 year old got one of these from his idolized big sister; so, now, I have to set it up and blah blah blah. *Sigh*

My condolences. Seriously though... We are really wondering about the level of "quality" in this product. Wanna do a review on it? :D

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Truthfully, I've delayed setting it up d/t the obvious hoaxes implied on the box; but, as soon as I do set it up (and, I will have to), I will attempt an impartial review.

Latest Discussions