Bruce Lee wasn't a God

Prince_Alarming

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Mind you, I once injured myself with a potato. I got a sliver of it stuck underneath my fingernail. Not that I think there's ever been a potato killer, although perhaps Samwise Gamgee could have been

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Bruce Lee said....blah blah blah.

Bruce Lee was a hugely talented martial artist. He wasn't a philosopher. He wasn't a doctor. He wasn't a genius. And he definitely wasn't a god.

I respect Bruce Lee, and I think he gave a lot to the martial arts community. I don't bow down and worship at his feet. He was a very young man when he passed. He never got to experience getting old, becoming infirm, dealing with the ravages of age. His advice applies to young people fairly well, in my opinion. It applies to people in my circumstances very little.

But, but, but, Bruce Lee said...blah blah blah. Yeah, I know. I also don't care.
I'm glad to see someone else who shares the same opinion. People get false impressions from his movies. One inch punch is nothing new. For example, his demonstration has the guy standing square to him. Easily sends him backwards into a chair. I'm skinny, 72 and can do that. If the guy was standing in a front stance and was rooted, it might be a different story.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If the guy was standing in a front stance and was rooted, it might be a different story.
If a guy stands in a front stance, a foot sweep can take him down effortless.

For different weight distribution, certain techniques work better than the others. If one uses the wrong technique, he is not qualified to give that demonstration.

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Some MA system invent "push" which is neither "punch" nor "throw". I like what Bruce Lee said, "I punch, I don't push."

I agree with him 50 years ago. I still agree with him today. Even today, I still don't understand why some people prefer to spend their valuable training time to train "push".
Those who don't know how to hit with a palm will push. A push can be used to clear space.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those who don't know how to hit with a palm will push. A push can be used to clear space.
I can understand to put your opponent

- off the cliff.
- into the traffic.

I don't understand why you want to use push to "clear space". One should keep his friends close, but his enemy closer.

When you push your opponent away, he may run to his car, come back with a gun, and ...

kfman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If a guy stands in a front stance, a foot sweep can take him down effortless.

For different weight distribution, certain techniques work better than the others. If one uses the wrong technique, he is not qualified to give that demonstration.

It depends on how strong the sweep is and how rooted the front stance is. The guy who got swept was too upright and vulnerable.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to see someone else who shares the same opinion. People get false impressions from his movies. One inch punch is nothing new. For example, his demonstration has the guy standing square to him. Easily sends him backwards into a chair. I'm skinny, 72 and can do that. If the guy was standing in a front stance and was rooted, it might be a different story.
It’s very odd that not a single person has stuck up for Lee🤔

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It depends on how strong the sweep is and how rooted the front stance is. The guy who got swept was too upright and vulnerable.
Foot sweep has nothing to do with the body upright, or body low. When you stand in a north-south front stance, your balance will be weak in east and west direction.

In Bruce Lee's inch punch demo, his opponent stood in north-south. Bruce punches his opponent through east-west.

Attacking through the right angle is 1 of the 5 MA requirements.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Foot sweep has nothing to do with the body upright, or body low. When you stand in a north-south front stance, your balance will be weak in east and west direction.

In Bruce Lee's inch punch demo, his opponent stood in north-south. Bruce punches his opponent through east-west.
Must be a different kind of front stance.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agreed. What angle are you referring to in a front stance?
- You stand in a west-to-east front stance with your right foot forward.
- Your opponent stands on east of you and tries to use his left foot to sweep your right foot from the south-to-north direction,

The more angle that you can turn your right front foot toward the south, the harder that your opponent can sweep you. This will force your opponent's shin bone to meet your shin bone.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- You stand in a west-to-east front stance with your right foot forward.
- Your opponent stands on east of you and tries to use his left foot to sweep your right foot from the south-to-north direction,

The more angle that you can turn your right front foot toward the south, the harder that your opponent can sweep you. This will force your opponent's shin bone to meet your shin bone.
Ok, got it. Thank you for the explanation.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And all those squares, they leave WAAY to much room to breath…. Literally

Note: apparently in China i can only respond with a ‘like’ but your post made me laugh out loud
Silly squares…😂

Latest Discussions